More muppets with no kill cord!

Doh.
Old 06 September 2009, 19:33   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Yanks are so calm and reserved...............

They must have been mad swimming over to shut the engine down - the amount of smoke coming from it meant imminent meltdown!!!
Old 06 September 2009, 19:40   #3

Town: Cowes
Boat name: WightStuff
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150hp
MMSI: 235072807
I would have been worried about it freeing itself from the rocks and running them over.

They are not a very clever group of people are they
Old 21 September 2009, 00:23   #4

Town: Southern California
Make: Novurania 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 85 hp Yamaha
I think I would have tried to jump ship and save it. nice boat, its a shame.
Old 21 September 2009, 07:43   #5

Town: Cork
Boat name: Wolf
Make: Humber
Engine: DF300
Autotether

Seems like the perfect reason to invest in an Autotether.

This is a new electronic kill switch which would have saved this boat immediatley and eliminated all the risk of the boat hitting someone or something once out of control.

The Autotether is a radio linked unit that allows skipper and crew to move freely around the boat without the need to connect using the familiar lanyard.

See www.autotether.com for details. Available in the Uk and Ireland from Mizen Marine. sales@mizenmarine.com

Macrib.
Old 21 September 2009, 09:01   #6

Town: worcester
Length: no boat
this autotether seems like an expensive solution to a problem that does not exist. I know my killcord works, it's a simple switch that cannot fail that I check regularly. Yet this relies on electronics and batteries in a marine environment.
Old 21 September 2009, 09:12   #7
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben tye View Post
this autotether seems like an expensive solution to a problem that does not exist. I know my killcord works, it's a simple switch that cannot fail that I check regularly. Yet this relies on electronics and batteries in a marine environment.
Sorry Macrib, I couldn't agree more with Ben.
Old 21 September 2009, 09:16   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Aquaholic
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 V8
Send a message via Skype™ to benc
Quote:
It doesnt necessarily rely on batteries... my car has some form of radio/electronic tag... I put it in a slot and the car will start.. doesnt need the battery in the card to work though.

However... imagine being out alone.. weather gets rough, you fall of seat, and the force of the boat pulls you down the back... now in rough weather it could be a real struggle to get back to the helm to regain control... especially if you've been hurt.

I'm afraid I agree with the others, a simple corded kill cord is definately the way to go.
Old 21 September 2009, 19:06   #9
RIBnet supporter

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Engine: 90hp Opti
RIBase
Killcord gets my vote.
Old 21 September 2009, 19:29   #10

Town: Shepperton
Boat name: Shamu
Make: BananaShark
Engine: 225 optimax
Quote:
have killcords never failed.............ever ??
Old 21 September 2009, 19:31   #11
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
have killcords never failed.............ever ??
I don't think a checked kill cord can....can it?
Old 21 September 2009, 20:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
I don't think a checked kill cord can....can it?
never heard of it, but i'm guessing someone here on the site might know!
Old 21 September 2009, 21:21   #13

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Scot Seats
Make: Revenger
Engine: Mariner 150 Optimax
cords failing

Kill cords certainly can fail i have never experienced this on a boat but used to race quads which use the same type of kill cords and had experience of a kill cord failing and know a couple of other people who have had the same problem. And a quad kill cord is used pritty much every time you stop the engine is is regularly checked it can be as simple as a wire works loose or when the cord releases the switch it removes the contact can sometimes not move enough.

So nothing is really 100% fail safe.
follow us on www.twitter.com/scotseatsmarine
ScotSeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2009, 21:33   #14
JSP

I've had one kill cord where there was nothing inside the red cover from about half way down. But I always give them an inspection so (touch wood) I should find out any problems. Now if it's an electrical problem to do with the switch......
Old 22 September 2009, 15:22   #15

Killcords?

Of course it's a matter of opinion and yes Killcords work brilliantly....

Until you forget to out it on, or like most people never wear it in the first place.

The debate is an interesting one and it would be great to hear more views on this.
The Autotether is available in single user, 2 user and 4 user set ups and is most importantly a MOB system. Depending on the set up and the FOBS the crew/passengers are wearing will either kill the boat, or just set of a very loud alarm should you loose someone out the back while belting of waves on the way home.

The market for MOB systems is evolving all the time and is an important consideration. The cost of a kill switch cord is of course next to nothing, but wearing it can be a pain and very few can say that there has not been an occasion where you avoid wearing it.

Autotether eliminates the excuse, sets the boat up safely and keeps up to 4 + crew or passengers safe and monitored while onboard. Cost is irrelevant in this case.

The batteries last 150 hours so require changing once a season, and the installation is as simple as taking it out of the box and sticking it to the console using the supplied velcro tabs in the box. It can be removed and stored when finished or can be used to monitor children around water when ashore or if they wander too far from you.

This video is the classic example of it will never happen to me? The boat was destroyed, 3 crew went over board with one broken arm and other minor injuries and all were lucky not to have been killed overboard at 35knts.

The Autotether also provides for a clip on the actuator to connect the existing kill cord harness should you wish to have a 5th person on board.

I agree that kill cords work, but there are many instance that I know of where an Autotether would have been welcome and gives you added security when walking around the boat particularly when you are alone.

Christmas is coming guys. Stay safe either way.

Macrib.
Old 22 September 2009, 15:29   #16

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I like the idea of an alarm if I drop someone over the side. I was out with guests in not the best weather / sea state a few months ago and realised I was concentrating on driving so much I'd have no idea if one of them vanished as they were behind me/ all I coudl hear was the wind ! I had to instruct the crew next to me to keep an eye on them and tell me if they were not happy at any time ( or worse).

Says alot for the passenger boats with the helm raised at the stern ! you get to see if people go over the side !
Old 22 September 2009, 16:10   #17
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by teampulsar View Post
Until you forget to out it on, or like most people never wear it in the first place.
You're just as likely (possibly more likely because it's less obvious) to forget to turn your fob on. At least a kill cord has a physical presence. Does the control unit warn you if you start the motor with no FOBs active?

The type of people who are likely to drop a couple of hundred quid on a glorified kill switch are probably not the sort who wouldn't bother to wear a kill cord in the first place.

I can see some benefit in having an automatic watch kept on your passengers, but MOB is only one of a range of likely problems in poor conditions, and even with Autotether you'd still need to keep track of how they're coping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teampulsar View Post
The debate is an interesting one and it would be great to hear more views on this.
I think it's an interesting idea but mostly fills a need that doesn't exist. There will be some people who have a real need to move about the boat with more freedom than a kill cord allows, and some with plenty of money for gadgets who will have it just because they can. I might get one of I was doing serious offshore cruising as an added bit of peace of mind, but it wouldn't come at the top of my priorities.
Old 22 September 2009, 16:12   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
I was out with guests in not the best weather / sea state a few months ago and realised I was concentrating on driving so much I'd have no idea if one of them vanished as they were behind me/ all I coudl hear was the wind ! ( or worse).
god forbid that happens, but it easily could. as you say with all the wind noise and the concentration going on, travelling at 30 - 40 plus knots, if someone fell over and you didnt notice immediately. Well it doesnt bare thinking about. yet think how many times we find ourselves in this situation every year.

so whats the best and simplest solution??
Old 22 September 2009, 16:59   #19

It even happens at home

Guys, whilst there seems to be an very compelling argument for the simpler the better model and the Autotether is being perceived as just another gizmo for the less adventurous out there keep in mind this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/8199397.stm

The Autotether has many advantages and many perceived or unecessary disadvantages.

The Unit will not activate without at least one wearer FOB turned on an connected to the master at the helm. The master is simply cliped onto the kill switch on the console in the same way as a standard cord.

It depends on how you look at it, and my bet is that there are many powerboat users out there with enough savy but perhaps not huge experience who would welcome the safety of an Autotether when venturing out with the family.

Kind a handy for sailing as a simple man overboard alarm or for a dinghy in which could have broken it's tow during a night passage. Placing a white FOB in the dinghy will activate the alarm if the dinght is taking on water or moves outside the set range of the unit (100 feet or more).

Also, no wiring at all is required to install these and the cost is less than half that of other MOB systems from the big names which have to hard wired and require professional installation.

John, an interesting online poll asking and (answering honestly) if you always wear your killcord? yes or no?

Regards,

Macrib.
Old 22 September 2009, 18:13   #20

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
i have known in the past of 2 the same make retro fit kill cords or rather switches stick in the run position ,,,the type that has a button and its held in by a rubber cap rather than the fork type that seems common nowadays ,