Make: none
Length: no boat
Re: GUYS GUYS

Quote:
Originally posted by Manos
And as a matter of fact I like yellow goes quite well with blue

Manos I love Yellow

See the boat

Will your dry suit be on view at the meet in May ?

With kids that grow quickly a dry suit at that price is much more feasable option than the cost of a the likes of Ravenspring.

Before anybody starts in I have nothing against the Ravenspring, in fact I bought one because they made to measure. This is important to me when you have a bit of a beer belly.

Martin
mstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2003, 08:49   #102

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Re: Re: GUYS GUYS

Quote:
Originally posted by mstacey
With kids that grow quickly a dry suit at that price is much more feasable option than the cost of a the likes of Ravenspring.
Same here!! yes will be there in force all showing our SAfrican 50 quid jobs made to measure dry suits in assorted colours.

My daughter likes pink
Now beat that one everybody!! LOLOL
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2003, 08:51   #103

Town: Newfoundland
If the company will excuse me pontificating for a bit........

My business these days is all about controlling outsourced manufacture of products in low labour cost countries. It is an inescapable fact that for any product with significant labour content (be it a drysuit, boat, electronic gadget, etc etc) that it is invariably cheaper to manufacture abroad than in this country. Thats not to say it will be a superior or inferior product - thats all about quality systems, quality of raw materials etc etc. So without a doubt if labour costs in South Africa are lower than in UK which I imagine they are then a drysuit manufactured there should be cheaper.

Charles/Manos - Do you have any idea of labour costs per hour for skilled and unskilled workers in South Africa?

Ref the drysuit. The question is what is the material content? The material itself is clearly a significant part of this but also the Zip (or Zips if you have the comfort zip - highly recommended!) I understand is also a very expensive part. Clearly the zip is critical cos if this fails you're gonna get wet! Now I suspect that Ravenspring for example have a material cost that is in excess of the price of the South African manufactured drysuit at £60 or so.

The second issue is what is the material quality like? Ravenspring material is hardwearing (my original suit is going strong after 4 years - I bought a new one cos I had outgrown it ). According to them it is specially developed to be breathable, lightweight etc etc. Now we have no knowledge of the SA produced drysuit so cannot compare material or zip quality.

Having visited Ravenspring on a couple of occasions, their production is very manual with a small group of people constructing the suits. Whilst I am sure that labour costs in sunny Totness are not excessive for this country, I am sure that they are significantly higher than in S Africa.

You'll be pleased dear reader that I am now coming to my point! I don't believe that Ravenspring are making an obscene amount of profit on their product. Certainly it is costing them more than the price of the SA produced suit to produce. I don't believe they are giving them away either - they have established the price the market will bear that gives them a return they are happy with. If the market changes - say through availability of drysuits of a similar quality produced elsewhere, then they will have the choice of trying to reduce their costs in Totness or consider moving production to a lower cost country. As a happy customer of Ravenspring this would be a sad turn of events as at present I am able to send my drysuit back to them for repairs, alterations and servicing at minimal cost. I couldn't do that with the SA produced one! Mind you if they are any good I could buy several for the price of my Ravenspring which would cover that issue!

At the end of the day you pays your money and takes your choice as a consumer. Ravenspring drysuits are great product but they are expensive. If you don't want to pay the money then Manos may have discovered a viable alternative. I look forward to seeing it at Plymouth. If its a good thing then I think I might go into business importing them myself!!

Cheers,
Alan
Old 20 January 2003, 09:33   #104

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
If its a good thing then I think I might go into business importing them myself!!
Sorry Alan too late.
Already under negotiation for exclussive distribution in EUROPE
Old 20 January 2003, 10:04   #105

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Better get one now before Manos puts on his whack.

Keith Hart
Old 20 January 2003, 10:12   #106

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Hart
Better get one now before Manos puts on his whack.
Keith Hart
Good thinking!!
Old 20 January 2003, 13:07   #107

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
You're right Alan, zips for drysuits are not cheap. I've seen grown men cry when they've knackered the zips on their suits after a dive. The latex seals aren't cheap either.

Matt
Old 20 January 2003, 15:58   #108

Town: Douglas Isle of Man
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235035776
Manos

Do they do them in orange?

If so, can you get a me a phone or fax number ....I do a lot of yacht racing in the summer and a cheap drysuit would be very useful.

Cheers

Jon
Old 20 January 2003, 16:16   #109

whitingiom

Hi Jon

They do them in many colours (even Barby pink my daughter has requested). They are all made to measure and yes they do them definately in Orange and with colour blending (customised) etc. They also have in side (2xdry) and out side (1xwet) pockets.
Currently I'm out of the UK on bizs and the photo was emailed to me by my wife. I will be back in the UK mid next week and since I had a lot of people asking about those I'll post their fax and tel details on the forum (I don't have them with me and although I have asked my wife to find it and she couldn't).
Unfortunately they do not have an email address (as far as I know) and the payment should be done by direct bank transfer to their account.
Hope you can wait just for a few more days and you will have the full details.

Cheers
Manos

PS Hope you re-order once I get the exclussive distribution for Europe!! LOLOL
Old 20 January 2003, 19:41   #110

Town: Salisbury
Manos

You sound like you have been around boats for many years

I would therefore trust your judgement as to quality of suit

If you say it looks and feels a decent quality then thats good enough for me

How do I get hold of one !! It sounds a bargain to me. I would also buy one for my son

Cheapest suit I can find in UK other than individual one off bargains is a breathable typhoon at 200 gbp or a crewsaver hyperdry.

Clearly if your life depended on this suit ( ie offshore serious use) then you are gonna buy the best quality money can buy, but for launching at Warsash for a days pottering, this is a bargain

Please let me know

Cheers

ps I have a ravenspring bottom half of suit which is good ( lucky enough to find one seconhand for a tenner ) which I use for launching

Old 20 January 2003, 20:02   #111

matiboy

look @ one of my previous posts on this thread
will see taht you can have the answer next week.
Sorry out of the UK right now.
Old 20 January 2003, 20:34   #112

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Re: Manos

Quote:
Originally posted by matiboy
I have a ravenspring bottom half of suit...
So some poor sod's making do with just the top half
Old 25 January 2003, 09:57   #113

Pepper

Hey & wait till I catch up with the geezer who's got my top half

Manos, you got my suit yet ????? LOL
Old 25 January 2003, 20:00   #114
TIM

Town: Dublin
Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: OPTI 225
Ravinspring Drysuit

I just tried out my new Ravinspring suit today and I am really impressed, I got the UNO with hard boots and Fly zip ( which I used twice) and found it very well made, with nice well thought out features........ And It didnt leak !!!!! I took someones suggestion and I fitted an astray in the neck seal (same size as my neck) over night to loosen it up a bit. As, when I was wearing it in the office The neck seal was very tight..... Its a lot more comfertable now, the ashtray did the trick!!! I wore it for about 4 hrs to day and was VVV happy.... If you dont have one.... Go and buy one now.... you will never use any thing else
Old 05 February 2003, 17:03   #115

Dry Suit

Quote:
Originally posted by Manos
look @ one of my previous posts on this thread
will see that you can have the answer next week.
Sorry out of the UK right now.
Manos

have you managed to try your new suit, any good ? Are you able to supply any contact / website details yet ?

Cheers
Old 06 February 2003, 08:27   #116

Sorry for the delay being very busy

Hi to all,

Now the crusial point of the dry suit for £40/£50 well in so many words looks good, colours are nice but is C.R.A.P..
The material is so light that is similar to a very cheaply made wind-shealed suit and is NOT breathable either.
In my opinion for what it actually worths the suit does not even worth £50.00.
I believe that Charles was right in saying that although they are cheap they are not up to any good.
Sorry guys!
Old 06 February 2003, 10:04   #117

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Nice going Manos, it is indeed rare to see people these days apologising or correcting earlier assertions. That's what this forum is all about, like-minded people offering their experiences and advice founded on personal trials and purchases. Unfortunately a very good dry-suit comes with a hefty price-tag, that is exactly why it is expensive.
Old 06 February 2003, 10:25   #118

Cheers Charles

I always admit it if I'm wrong
I'm just sorry I've lost £55.00
But what the heck is not that much money (a vist to Odd Bins for the daily dose of wine LOLOL) and will try to get it back one way or the other LOLOL
Old 06 February 2003, 13:55   #119

Manos

reserve judgement

the material may be light , etc , etc

but you havent tried it yet , if it keeps you dry then at least its living up to its name - a dry suit

even if it does this just to keep you dry when launching a boat waist deep then it has been worth 40/50 quid

nobody expected on this forum for it to match the quality of an expensive suit

rember a fleece in a uk chandlers would cost more, so dont be so negative !!!
Old 06 February 2003, 14:39   #120
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
I too am disappointed that you are unhappy with your new suit, Manos.
However, you deserve 10 out of 10 for trying.
Nobody else did, and you just might have got the bargain of a lifetime.
So well done for keeping us all in the picture and up to date.