Old 11 January 2003, 15:46   #81

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Pepper

Cheers!!
Many thanks!!
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2003, 23:31   #82

Town: Douglas Isle of Man
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235035776
Try stretching it over a plastic bucket - saves cutting and really works well

Jon (17.5 inch neck)
Old 12 January 2003, 06:56   #83

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
whitingiom

Jon thanks. Will try your idea before cutting it.

Cheers

Manos (also 17 1/2 inch neck - too much excercise LOLOL )
Old 12 January 2003, 07:47   #84

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Manos, can't seem to get the web page to load, is the address correct ? or could you post a pic of your drysuit. These are to good to be true, however I would be delighted if the quality is up to a UK divers drysuit.

Perhaps they should do mail order tubes if the prices are that cheap in S Africa, especially at £3k for a set of UK tubes.

Pete
Old 12 January 2003, 09:54   #85

Pete7

Hi,

I had the same prob with the page. Poss the server is down. Will post apic when I'm in Greece where I took it as I will be having my RIB tested by a RIB mag here and needed to look the business LOLOL . Currently I am in anotheyr country however, asap will get back to Greece and before I fly back to the UK will post a photo.

Re tubes the tubes on the RIBs are made out of PVC not Hypalon. Hypalon would had increased the cost about 40% more.
I have a few tetst of Hypalon compared with PVC and they are both durable. Actually, in cold climates there is no difference. In warm cilmates there is very slight diffrence with Hypalon being marginally better than PVC.
It does not bother me because after 10 years time (this is how long the guarantree is for) I will have another RIB.
Email the guys in SAfrica and ask them if they can give send you soem. However it all comes from a compnay in Germany (can't remember their name) and you may be able to get the material from them direct if Falcon gives you their email details.
Old 19 January 2003, 08:44   #86

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Ravenspring - review

Right folks, I did manage to get out a couple of times over the New Year. So how was the suit then? (voice of the forum reader).

Well, I purchased a Ravenspring Rapide in blue with the yellow bits (okay, I'm not a ruddy fashion writer you know). As I said before I was worried about it fitting due to previous problems with one piece motorcycle suits. However I need not have worried.

The suit arrived in about 14 days and it fitted perfectly. I was surprised how light it was having seen my daughters diving drysuit. As I mentioned the neck seal was bl***y tight. Any way having sat around wearing it in the living room for a few nights, I finally trimmed it a bit. I still left it slightly too tight, but I found that it indeed did seem to stretch a little and soon felt okay.

So, out on the water then.

My first trip out was into the Cromarty Firth on New Years Eve. The air temperature was about -1 degree c. There was a little wind and it felt blooming cold. My pal Jim (well he was my pal until I took him out in sub zero temperatures) and I launched from the ferry slipway at Nigg (see www.boatlaunch.co.uk). The sea was a bit choppy so I knew we would get wet (well at least Jim would if my suit was any good).

At the moment there are 13 rigs in the Firth so there is plenty of activity.

I wore jeans, a shirt and a fleece under the suit. I was a bit hot whilst launching the boat but guessed (correctly) that I would need the extra fleece when out in the boat. I also wore my neoprene gloves and a ‘Henri Lloyd’ waterproof boating hat. This is like a baseball cap but is fleece lined and had ear-flaps. It also has a clip on the end of an elastic strap so you can attach it to your suit so if it comes off you do not loose it (good idea).

The suit was well immersed in the water as we launched. It felt comfortable as I sat on the tube to steer the boat. We made our way out around a couple of the rigs into the mouth of the firth, between the Sutors and then around the Buss Bank buoy. When we turned around to go into Cromarty Harbour we were ‘against’ the sea and being outside the mouth of the firth there was quite a chop going. This is where I really felt the benefit of the suit. We were getting a lot of VERY cold spray, but I still felt warm and dry. Jim was beginning to shiver. Now before you say how cruel I am, I had given him my neorpene waders. However the spray was wetting his upper body area despite the ‘waterproof’ jacket.

We then made our way into Cromarty Harbour where we tied up and went for a short walk to sit and drink out home made broth (thanks to ‘er indoors). The suit was again used in waist deep water. It felt comfortable whilst walking and sitting on dry land. It also looks very professional (important when you have a small boat you know).

We launched again but by now ‘Jim laaaad’ was getting cold so we made our way back to Nigg. I, on the other hand was still warm, dry and comfortable and could have carried on for hours. Whilst landing the boat Jim and I were standing in the water holding the boat to get it onto the beach (it was quite choppy and the slipway looked a bit iffy). Jim was half out of the boat when a wave caught it and shoved him head first into the drink. Jim was not too amused but it looked very funny to me! He got an even wetter top half. I, on the other hand stayed nice and dry as I fished him out. Fortunately Jim was able to get changed right away and into the warm car. I was able to fraff about betting the boat sorted.

When I took off the suit I was perfectly dry underneath, and most importantly, thanks to the special ‘breathing fabric’ I was not soaked in sweat.

So, was it worth the money? Most definitely - YES. I wish I had brought one two years ago when I got the boat, but what is the fun of life if you can’t learn your lessons the hard way? Orkney, here I come…..

Keith (dry and warm) Hart
Old 19 January 2003, 08:57   #87
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
It's nice to stay dry isn't it?

John
Old 19 January 2003, 12:15   #88

So what about this ONE THEN??

It cost me GBP 55 with carriage from South Africa!! is fully breathable and keeps me dry @ all times!! Quality as good as any of the other 'NAMES'.
Is without boots because I didn't want them attached.
However it also comes with boots for an extra GBP 5.00
So for a fraction of what other suits cost you get the same!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0016.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1593  
Old 19 January 2003, 12:43   #89

Well cheers Manos. That sure rained on my parade!

Fortunately I've a good suit to keep me dry.

Keith Hart
Old 19 January 2003, 13:46   #90

TY Keith.
If you were just were a wee bit patient....
Old 19 January 2003, 16:28   #91

No Manos, you misunderstand me. I'm very happy with the suit and feel it was great value for money. I'd certainly recommend the Ravenspring to anyone.

Keith (you got the wrong parade) Hart
Old 19 January 2003, 16:38   #92

Keith

I have no doubts that Ravensprings are VERY GOOD suits.
But the price, this price again!! is a bit steep. Don't you think.
And is not only the Ravensprings, Typhoon also, Crew Savers etc etc and the ones made in the US are worst.
Believe me I've checked all over the World (even when I was on a biz trip in Singapore and the US 2 months ago I've asked there too) since for me the dry suit is an item (never ever used one) that I will be using say 2-3 times a year and all other things been equal(ish) PRICE was the deciding factor!!
Old 19 January 2003, 21:52   #93

Town: Douglas Isle of Man
Make: Osprey
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235035776
The acid test Manos.....have you been out in the canary yellow suit yet?

I spent the morning launching and recovering dinghies in a very cold reservoir in my humble non breathing 'Trident' suit, followed by a quick 'blat around' in a borrowed Humber Assault 5m. I was warm and dry.

Is the SA suit up to Northern hemisphere winters?

My 15 yr old has been pestering me for ages and £60 seems a bargain?
Old 19 January 2003, 22:01   #94

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Alright so photos aren't great indicators of quality, but personally I think the Ravensprings look much better. Also, I'd be wary of using a 60 quid drysuit much up here, I'd be much happier in my mind with one of the more pricey Ravensprings.

Matt
Old 19 January 2003, 23:07   #95

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Mmm... mind you, you could get 6½ of Manos' drysuits for the price of a Ravenspring, and even more for the price of a Musto HPX drysuit. This deserves consideration! And there's nothing wrong with yellow at sea - my two piece is yellow and nicely visible...
Old 20 January 2003, 06:22   #96

GUYS GUYS

SAY SOMETHING CONSTRUCTIVE FOR ONCE !!!

This suit is just worth 50 pounds so what is all the fuss about!! I haven't spent 400+ pounds
If you are good in maths calculate how many suits I can buy
If you don't want to buy one, don't. I never said that you should any way.
And as a matter of fact I like yellow goes quite well with blue
Now can we get serious??

Thanks Pepper
Old 20 January 2003, 07:05   #97

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Manos, I think all the comments are constructive, but people are just a little sceptical. You don't usually get something for nothing, so I guess we're all thinking "where's the £320 saving - in the materials or in the workmanship?" And if the answer to these questions is "neither" then wow, you've either got a bargain or an import opportunity. My Ravenspring is in for alterations which will cost me nearly as much as your whole suit, so if it doesn't come back soon I may need a standby!!!
Old 20 January 2003, 08:07   #98

Pepper

I think is low labour costs in SAfrica. That is the ONLY secret!!
Old 20 January 2003, 08:16   #99

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally posted by Pepper
And there's nothing wrong with yellow at sea - my two piece is yellow and nicely visible...
You would look very smart on my boat, I must say Richard and Manos. This debate is interesting because it can be applied to a whole raft of items. Because something is expensive, it does not mean it is necessarily good or better than a similar product which is considerably cheaper. That said, I am of the opinion that you get what you pay for! Again, being a staunch South African I am afraid that I have to stick my neck out and say that many marine/boating products coming out of SA are inferior to what you would get over here. It is a pity and I hate to denigrate my own country, but this is unfortunately the way it is. There are of course many other products which are fantastic and far superior - I am generalising of course.
Old 20 January 2003, 08:25   #100

Charles

I agree with your statement. As I believe that in general what you say is a matter of fact in all and every country of the World.
So far South African products for me have been proven to be (if not better) as good as the products you find in Europe and far less expenssive.