Old 01 April 2009, 20:59   #21
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
6M rib 75hp on the back..... 29-32knots ? at a guess one up? give it the full beans and let us know tomorrow..
Old 01 April 2009, 21:14   #22

Town: Isle of Skye
Boat name: Seafari - VHF CH 71
Make: Humbers+Catamaran
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo/Iveco/Suzuki
fraztiree

If you want to know any of the history of the boat, or the engine in my time having it - give me an email at skyeseafari@aol.com - - have PM'd you my mobile number as well i got and put the engine on new - in fact i still have the original owners manual in front of me -which i will more than happy send to you -
if i remember flat out and trimmed used to get about 34 knots - it is a completely standard prop on it, so you could play with that -

Otherwise is a great boat - the engine never missed a beat - after having it and using it on the west side of uist it will be well suited to tiree -

If i can help with anything else get in touch.

cheers

Pete
Old 02 April 2009, 19:02   #23

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
just a nobble over 50 mph when low on fuel with the old 130 beast (and about £100 an hour too)

although i dont know what has changed since... when i owned the boat i rewired her bow to stern, as well as installing the anchor locker and various other jobs including transom reinforcment knees and as i said in the first post welding on nav light and gps aeriel stainless mounts.

if i can be of any help, feel free to ask, i'd be only too happy.

plenty of photos too!

enjoy - a cracking boat that.

PS: made by south coast ribs you know, now known as scorpion!
Old 02 April 2009, 21:21   #24

Town: Isle of Tiree
Boat name: AURORA
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha 150s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
just a nobble over 50 mph when low on fuel with the old 130 beast (and about £100 an hour too)

although i dont know what has changed since... when i owned the boat i rewired her bow to stern, as well as installing the anchor locker and various other jobs including transom reinforcment knees and as i said in the first post welding on nav light and gps aeriel stainless mounts.

if i can be of any help, feel free to ask, i'd be only too happy.

plenty of photos too!

enjoy - a cracking boat that.

PS: made by south coast ribs you know, now known as scorpion!
thanks daniel yea really pleased with her do you no where i can get a new seat cover and wind sheild . scorpion that explains why i cant find similar boats on bmw site just animals
Old 03 April 2009, 11:04   #25

BMW? it's a Blue Water Marine AKA BWM i'm sure a ribnet search will bring up some history they made very popular well priced 18' and 21' models in the 90's and have since ceased trading, but yes i know they are back with a bigger model i'm not sure the connection.

BWM have a rather chequered history like many rib companies, and i recall were privalaged to the involvment of Paul Lemmer at one point who himself is somewhat of a legend in the ribworld.

South Coast RIBS i beleive bought hulls from BWM / Paul Lemmer and finished them off in the late 90's before / at the same time as designing their own hull which went on to become the aclaimed "scorpion" brand

My local upholsterer did the seat for me (he also lived next door at the time) and i made the screen from clear plastic (acrylic or perspex). You could source both on eBay now days. I recently had a eBay trader cover a seat for about £30 and bought some perspex off there for £20 last summer for a boat window.
Old 03 April 2009, 11:26   #26
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
BMW? it's a Blue Water Marine AKA BWM i'm sure a ribnet search will bring up some history they made very popular well priced 18' and 21' models in the 90's and have since ceased trading, but yes i know they are back with a bigger model i'm not sure the connection.

BWM have a rather chequered history like many rib companies, and i recall were privalaged to the involvment of Paul Lemmer at one point who himself is somewhat of a legend in the ribworld.

South Coast RIBS i beleive bought hulls from BWM / Paul Lemmer and finished them off in the late 90's before / at the same time as designing their own hull which went on to become the aclaimed "scorpion" brand

My local upholsterer did the seat for me (he also lived next door at the time) and i made the screen from clear plastic (acrylic or perspex). You could source both on eBay now days. I recently had a eBay trader cover a seat for about £30 and bought some perspex off there for £20 last summer for a boat window.

Daniel,
did you put any cure to the perspex? If you did how did you do it? I've read to soak it in soapy hot water so a film comes off and then heat op in an oven?
Old 03 April 2009, 14:08   #27

i don't recall for this boat, i think i used a 3mm and i'm not sure it was perspex, maybe it was a polycarbonate which is more shatter resistent and i bent it cold i think and used lots of washers and self tappers.

I have sucessfully heated perspex in an oven and formed it before. Never done the whole hot water thing.

If you want a straight edge, go see a sign company they have a lovely "strip heater" like an electric fire element that heats just locally. I did this for a screen in perspex for "top banana" my 6m Osprey
Old 03 April 2009, 14:16   #28
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
i don't recall for this boat, i think i used a 3mm and i'm not sure it was perspex, maybe it was a polycarbonate which is more shatter resistent and i bent it cold i think and used lots of washers and self tappers.

I have sucessfully heated perspex in an oven and formed it before. Never done the whole hot water thing.

If you want a straight edge, go see a sign company they have a lovely "strip heater" like an electric fire element that heats just locally. I did this for a screen in perspex for "top banana" my 6m Osprey
Cheers Daniel, that's a great bit of info. The worst thing about cutting it is the horrible rough edge you end up with.
Old 03 April 2009, 15:41   #29

a wood plane makes a nice edge on perspex.

an even nicer bevel can be made by home-brewing a radus plane/cutter out of an old hacksaw blade (idealy a big 'un 1" wide) and a grinder to produce a U shape. you then "saddle" this over the perspex and run it up and down by hand

i would be happy to supply a bit of old 1" blade if required (seriously)
Old 06 February 2010, 20:46   #30

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FAST-RIB-5-5-w...item4a9e588543
Old 06 February 2010, 20:49   #31

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax