Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 11 October 2015, 09:39   #1
Member
 
boristhebold's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,293
MOB SAR Function & Testing

To the person in Studland bay this morning testing the MOB SAR Function of their kit, this forum prevents me from stating my feelings other than that was a very stupid thing to do. Multiple calls to the coastguard from various boats and me racing across the bay in choppy seas with an easterly wind to see if I could assist. You are a $%^& !

Don't test an emergency function before speaking to the coastguard and checking whether it is ok to do so, none of us are impressed.

I hope you are a member on here and take this to heart.
__________________

__________________
boristhebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2015, 14:16   #2
Member
 
cgf10's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Boat name: Superfly
Make: Shearwater 860
Length: 8m +
Engine: Verado
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 360
Was it a rib ? (It wasn't me).
__________________

__________________
cgf10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2015, 14:18   #3
RIBnet supporter
 
MustRib's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
To the person in Studland bay this morning testing the MOB SAR Function of their kit, this forum prevents me from stating my feelings other than that was a very stupid thing to do. Multiple calls to the coastguard from various boats and me racing across the bay in choppy seas with an easterly wind to see if I could assist. You are a $%^& !

Don't test an emergency function before speaking to the coastguard and checking whether it is ok to do so, none of us are impressed.

I hope you are a member on here and take this to heart.
PLB? DSC ? ... Do tell
__________________
MustRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2015, 03:11   #4
Member
 
boristhebold's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,293
It was a Rib, I think it was a DSC MOB function as it popped up on my chart plotter as an alert. It did annoy me becuase obviously you try and help people, adrenilin kicked in and I raced across some choppy seas to get there quickly. It also occurred about 3 times in 10 mins.

The person was a lady on her own in a 5 or 6 m rib moored on one of the Bankes Arms mooring buoys in studland bay.
__________________
boristhebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2015, 03:21   #5
RIBnet supporter
 
MustRib's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
It also occurred about 3 times in 10 mins.

The person was a lady on her own in a 5 or 6 m rib moored on one of the Bankes Arms mooring buoys in studland bay.
"hmmm...I wonder what this red button does?"
__________________
MustRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2015, 03:24   #6
RIBnet supporter
 
MustRib's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
It was a Rib, I think it was a DSC MOB function as it popped up on my chart plotter as an alert. It did annoy me becuase obviously you try and help people, adrenilin kicked in and I raced across some choppy seas to get there quickly. It also occurred about 3 times in 10 mins.

The person was a lady on her own in a 5 or 6 m rib moored on one of the Bankes Arms mooring buoys in studland bay.
Sounds like you made it there in time to give her the benefit of your experience?
Good that you didnt just ignore the alert or wait for someone else to investigate
__________________
MustRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2015, 03:50   #7
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
The person was a lady on her own in a 5 or 6 m rib moored on one of the Bankes Arms mooring buoys in studland bay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
You are a $%^& !......
.....I hope you are a member on here and take this to heart.
You tell her Boris! You DID tell her at the time when you were F2F, didn't you? Or did you bottle it all up?
__________________
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2015, 07:06   #8
Member
 
boristhebold's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
You tell her Boris! You DID tell her at the time when you were F2F, didn't you? Or did you bottle it all up?
Ha Ha, I more like controlled myself, told her it was a stupid thing to do and I went off in a huff. LOL

At least I know my plotter alerts work.
__________________
boristhebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2015, 12:06   #9
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Ha Ha, I more like controlled myself, told her it was a stupid thing to do and I went off in a huff. LOL

At least I know my plotter alerts work.
She did you a favour really then, by testing your equipment too ;-)

Interesting that is said MOB so either she actively selected that from the VHF, or it was something like this: http://www.mrtsos.com/products/perso...cons/smrt-v100

The inevitable consequence of more and more people having these sort of tools is increased false alarms.

Did you have enough of a conversation to understand what / why she was doing it, and if she understood that every boat in the area would get an alert?

Out of interest were there many boats around that didn't react at all?
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2015, 12:18   #10
Member
 
boristhebold's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,293
There wern't many boats about as a strong easterly blowing and overcast, not sure what she was using to send the alert, I heard a snippet of a conversation of another boat later on and the coastguard may have been informed by someone in their headquarters as once I was on the seen they spoke to me on VHF and said the person was testing or training.

The women in question was on her own so how she could be training is beyond me. Two boats nearby where she was moured up, one with no one aboard and another rib perhaps didnt have plotter or radio on as they were anchored up. No didnt have a long conversation with the person.

I agree the more emergency kit gets purchased by people perhaps more false alarms. Thats a good point thinking about it ...perhaps the manufacturers should build in some test function so people could test without setting off an actual alert.

Perhaps it could be something along lines of pressing a test alert button, signal transmitted to a satalite and to other boats of similar kit in the area, and you get a response back which is automatic, a simple alert send, signal recieved handshake, but to other boaters they dont actual see the test alert on their screens as its hidden from view.
__________________

__________________
boristhebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.