Old 03 January 2011, 14:32   #21

Town: birmingham
Boat name: dawnraid
Make: ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ob 200hp
mob drills

in real life it is very difficult to get a 170ld man let alone a 200lb man over the tubes and out of the water on your own. i have seen many fit men fail to do so .there is a device on the market called a sea scooper.com which goes under the man you then roll him into the rib over the tubes .it does work see demo
Old 03 January 2011, 16:00   #22

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Remember a couple of years ago, someone on here had a video of a RIB crew recovering someone by getting their feet over the tubes, then levering their body up and in by the arms using their butt as a fulcrum. Doesn't look pretty, but it does work: I tried it with an (admittedly conscious and mobile) diver one day; much easier than trying to haul them in from a parallel to the keel position.

Helps to have a couple of people (mainly to keep their head from sinking), but if it's a life or death type situation, I'd guess that any way to get them aboard would be better than none.

jky
Old 03 January 2011, 16:25   #23

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post

Helps to have a couple of people (mainly to keep their head from sinking), but if it's a life or death type situation, I'd guess that any way to get them aboard would be better than none.

jky
If you have two people you should be able to pull them in head first.
Wouldn't fancy grabbing hold of someones legs and then dunking their head, sounds like the recipe for a kick in the face?
Old 03 January 2011, 21:03   #24

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Just a quick question in relation to this: how far can you trim up whilst maintaining a strong pee stream? Our prop can be a good couple of inches out the water - is this just due to the low intakes on the Lightning gearcase or a normal thing - although our old Suzuki had to have the prop in the water to maintain a stream?
The 150 doesn't have a strong pee stream it is more of an incontinent dribble which runs down the back of the engine (high volume, low pressure) but I'm told that is normal. The 90 deg V6s like yours are different. Stupid design on the 150s, because you can't see it unless you go hard over and lean over to look.

The dribble is OK when I can just start to hear the exhaust burble at the surface which means the top of the prop is about level with the surface. That's enough for a good shower of kelp I haven't tried it higher than that. The other thing about trimming right out (in fact well into the "tilt" range rather than "trim") is that kelp tends to slide off the leg rather than hooking around it, it's a technique I perfected with the old Johnson, and it means the water intake does not get obstructed by kelp wrapped around the leg. Downside is you get eff all thrust in reverse.

As for drifting on to a MOB, when you are parked in kelp that you could bloody near walk on if you were wearing snow shoes, you don't drift anywhere

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2011, 21:14   #25
RIBnet Supporter

From experience, I can recommend having a donegaldan onboard - better than a HIAB
Old 03 January 2011, 21:18   #26

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3680
markus net, pic on my post on above page..probably
Old 03 January 2011, 22:00   #27

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
I have found that if you loudly shout 'SHARK', the MOB will get in the boat pretty quickly and unassisted.
Old 03 January 2011, 22:20   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
I have found that if you loudly shout 'SHARK', the MOB will get in the boat pretty quickly and unassisted.
"Pubs open" works well too, or "if you don't hurry up we're leaving you."
Old 04 January 2011, 15:08   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
If you have two people you should be able to pull them in head first.
Well, for me, I don't always have 2 people in the boat.

Quote:
Wouldn't fancy grabbing hold of someones legs and then dunking their head, sounds like the recipe for a kick in the face?
Depends on how active they are, I suppose.

jky
Old 04 January 2011, 16:51   #30

Quote:

jky
Quote:

jky
?
Old 04 January 2011, 21:27   #31

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Aqua Vitae
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
MMSI: 235115057
Nothing can replace the real thing! After much practise with fenders, buckets and the like, nothing can replace a person in the water.
When towing friends on a donut, it gives plenty of practice at picking people up, and they are dressed ready to go in anyway. I've also done practise mobs in training sessions where I've had to recover people and dinghies.

Those who can help themselves aren't too bad, but one guy was playing dead and he was flipping hard work! We struggled because the tide kept sweeping his legs under the boat. We passed him around the bow of the boat to the other side, where the tide pushed his legs away from the boat and helped us get him in. Downside to this is that if you let him go, he's going to drift away :O
Old 05 January 2011, 15:28   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
?
To make it easy on you:

Quote:
Helps to have a couple of people
Quote:
The first part means that having more than one person working the MOB makes the job easier than trying to do it solo.

The second means that while I am often solo on the boat, sometimes I have more than just myself onboard.

Wasn't really that hard, was it?

jky
Old 05 January 2011, 16:19   #33

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Just incase i ever go over the side and its up to my 10 year old to get me back on board i have a couple of small ex sailing dinghy pully blocks rigged up so he can Parbuckle me back on board
chances are i would be able to get back onboard unaided but after i fell overboard at speed many years ago from a high speed hard boat which resulted in me discolating my right shoulder it now makes me think a bit more about the implications of recovering a incapacitated person with a smaller crew member ,
End of the day you can be the best boat handler on the planet but the m.o.b still needs to be recovered .
Mart.
Old 05 January 2011, 16:40   #34

Quote:
To make it easy on you:

The first part means that having more than one person working the MOB makes the job easier than trying to do it solo.

The second means that while I am often solo on the boat, sometimes I have more than just myself onboard.

Wasn't really that hard, was it?

jky
Still rather pull them in head first if I was on my own.
Old 05 January 2011, 19:21   #35

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Tim View Post
Those who can help themselves aren't too bad, but one guy was playing dead and he was flipping hard work! We struggled because the tide kept sweeping his legs under the boat. We passed him around the bow of the boat to the other side, where the tide pushed his legs away from the boat and helped us get him in. Downside to this is that if you let him go, he's going to drift away :O
Assuming your casualty has fallen out of a boat that is underway then tide will not make any difference. Its only if your secured to a mooring, pontoon, anchor etc that this problem is going to occur.
Old 05 January 2011, 20:56   #36

I said:
Quote:
Remember a couple of years ago, someone on here had a video of a RIB crew recovering someone by getting their feet over the tubes, then levering their body up and in by the arms using their butt as a fulcrum.
For those who don't remember the post I was referring to, it can be found here:

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17407

And it was pics, not video, sorry.

jky
Old 06 January 2011, 08:43   #37
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I've always recovered Liz (the only real person available for me to practice on) from the water by using opposing arm and leg-hand inside the knee joint nearest the boat, grab the wrist/hand and roll the torso over the tube.
It's fairly easy for me, but I'm big.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2011, 10:35   #38

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
I've always recovered Liz (the only real person available for me to practice on) from the water by using opposing arm and leg-hand inside the knee joint nearest the boat, grab the wrist/hand and roll the torso over the tube.
It's fairly easy for me, but I'm big.
Yes, that's how I've done it, but it's hard work, I'm not very big and sometimes have to have two goes at it.

I might try the legs over tubes thing with a wet suited swimmer if I can get a volunteer, just to see if it will work for me.

I have a loop of line attached to the lifelines to act as a foothold too. That helps.
Old 06 January 2011, 11:18   #39

Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
These days my back is not up to hauling people into the boat especially if it was someone with the same 'robust' stature as myself. Has anyone thought of using a small lifting block with either a sling or a bit of rope around the victim and dragging them in via A frame or other suitable part of the boat? This should work to get the bulk of their weight out of the water and you can then drag them into the boat without having to lift them too.
Old 06 January 2011, 14:14   #40

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siochair View Post
These days my back is not up to hauling people into the boat especially if it was someone with the same 'robust' stature as myself. Has anyone thought of using a small lifting block with either a sling or a bit of rope around the victim and dragging them in via A frame or other suitable part of the boat? This should work to get the bulk of their weight out of the water and you can then drag them into the boat without having to lift them too.
A parbuckle (I think that's what it's called) i.e. ropes, straps or a sheet of canvas or something, attached to the tubes at one end, then passed under the casualty and the free ends pulled to roll them into the boat, acts like a single pulley block and will halve the effort needed to lift someone. Trouble with A frames is they're a bit close to engines and associated clutter, I think.