Old 30 November 2006, 12:51   #31

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
It isnt just men over board, we have women leaping off the boat on a regular basis.
Maybe you should work on your people skills...

jky

Old 30 November 2006, 14:22   #32

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Man Overboard

Hi Andy,

A couple of summers ago I had the missfourtune to lose a crew member over the side whilst out with fellow ribsters on a cruise to Yarmouth.

We were travelling in a group if I remember rightly Mr Halliday was behind me. I got caught out by wash comming in from both sides of the boat at the same time. First lot of wash was from the boat ahead of me on my starboard side. Secound was from the Gin palace comming at me head on, on my port side. My boat passed through the wake but fell sideways into the trough and one crew member who shall remain nameless was uncermoniously dumped over the Port side.

My training kicked in immediatley the helm was turning as he fell out, with shouts of Man Overboard comming from the crew. I was more concerned from the following boats not seeing him in the water, but Mr Halliday was quick on the helm and missed him.

Recovery was assisted with Kathryn's help and we used the bouyancy of his now fully inflated lifejacket to bounce him into the boat.

The beer in the bar that followed tasted real good plus a new gas cylinder for Mike's Lifejacket

When it happens for your training will kick in

Cheers

Old 30 November 2006, 15:12   #33

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Niam-ho
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki DF250
MMSI: 235040417
On this topic - what are peoples' opinions regarding transmitting a Mayday call in the event of MOB from a RIB? Don't see any mention of it so far in this thread....

Any powerboat training that I've done has always stressed that a Mayday should be issued asap - and later cancelled if a successful recovery is achieved without other assistance.

However, I had a bit of a heated debate with my sailing instructor/examiner recently - when she laughed at the very thought of Mayday for MOB.

Opinions???
Old 30 November 2006, 15:34   #34
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiAndNice View Post
On this topic - what are peoples' opinions regarding transmitting a Mayday call in the event of MOB from a RIB? Don't see any mention of it so far in this thread....

Any powerboat training that I've done has always stressed that a Mayday should be issued asap - and later cancelled if a successful recovery is achieved without other assistance.

However, I had a bit of a heated debate with my sailing instructor/examiner recently - when she laughed at the very thought of Mayday for MOB.

Opinions???
The suggestion on my PB2 course was if you can hit the red dsc button on way back to casualty without slowing down then do so (if another person still on board they can do it). If you fail to pick up on first attempt then MAYDAY regardless of how confident you are of getting them next time. All seemed quite logical.

IMHO on a sailing boat there is plenty of time for a mayday on the way back to casualty and consideraby greater chance of not getting the pick up right etc - and I would always put in a Mayday asap.

As you say, easier to cancel a mayday after successful pickup than to wind the clock back for those all important minutes.
Old 30 November 2006, 15:58   #35

Town: Bala
Quote:

Opinions???
In order to qualify as a distress situation :- a vessel, vehicle, aircraft or person must be in grave and imminent danger.

How is a Man Overboard NOT in grave and imminent danger?

Also, if you have a DSC radio... the options when you send a DSC Distress alert are:

Undesignated
Fire or explosion
Flooding
Collision
Grounding
Listing
Sinking
Disabled and adrift
Abandoning ship
Piracy
MAN OVERBOARD

If it's on the DSC Distress list... then that might be a bit of a clue to say that it is indeed a distress situation.

Cheers, WMM
Old 30 November 2006, 16:32   #36

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteminiman View Post
In order to qualify as a distress situation :- a vessel, vehicle, aircraft or person must be in grave and imminent danger.

Cheers, WMM
Well most divers tend to be in the water - and it's pretty hard to wakeboard without jumping out of the boat......

So much depends on the conditions - if I had a pax fall overboard on a nice hot summers day when it's flat calm i don't think a call to the coastguard would be justified - on a freezing Feb night with a force 6 it would be stupid not to!!!
Old 30 November 2006, 16:49   #37

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Niam-ho
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki DF250
MMSI: 235040417
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteminiman View Post

Cheers, WMM

Totally agree with you. This was my argument.
She was having none of it though. (Bear in mind here that she is an RYA accredited Yachtmaster Instructor!)

She reckoned the situation for issuing a Mayday may change if there had been a "few" failed attempts at picking up the casualty ... (obv no thought here for the poor bugger chilling his bones in the water...)
Old 30 November 2006, 17:50   #38

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
So much depends on the conditions - if I had a pax fall overboard on a nice hot summers day when it's flat calm i don't think a call to the coastguard would be justified - on a freezing Feb night with a force 6 it would be stupid not to!!!
Totally agree

Evaluate the situation... if all is under control, then get on with the job in hand. If there are complications developing, re-evaluate quickly and make the call before things get worse.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2006, 19:11   #39

Length: 6m +
Quote:

Opinions???
Have you done a VHF Course? If so, what was the opinion of your VHF Instructor?
Old 30 November 2006, 19:52   #40

Town: Bala
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Well most divers tend to be in the water - and it's pretty hard to wakeboard without jumping out of the boat......
I was waiting for someone to start

A wakeboarder is hardly a MOB? Surely a MOB by definition doesn't want to be in the water?

WMM