Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
MMMMmmmmmm what you think?

7.5mtr osprey vipermax
twin 220ltr fuel tanks
twin 200hp etecs both running on own fuel cell,

to heavy on the ass end or not? engines 190kg ea. transom can handle it but not sure how it will land in the ruff stuff off shore.

or do i just go with a single 300hp yam?
Old 02 May 2006, 14:05   #2

Town: Bromsgrove
i was originally thinking 2 x 150 opti but the etec are almost the same weight apparently
Old 02 May 2006, 14:28   #3

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
sounds very awsome and a real speed machine.
Old 02 May 2006, 15:09   #4

Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
With twin tanks, console and seatings in the middle it can be a nice setup, the 7,5m Osprey Viper Max has a total lenght of 7,8m.
I have delivered a 7,8m with a 300HPDI with high discovery console and 2 X 2 jockey, single tank 220 liters.
Speed 52 knots.
Old 02 May 2006, 15:57   #5

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent
7.5mtr osprey vipermax
twin 220ltr fuel tanks

to heavy on the ass end or not? engines 190kg ea. transom can handle it but not sure how it will land in the ruff stuff off shore.

If you go for a little bit longer hull (~8 or 8.5m) you will have a nicely set up RIB.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2006, 19:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrov
With twin tanks, console and seatings in the middle it can be a nice setup, the 7,5m Osprey Viper Max has a total lenght of 7,8m.
I have delivered a 7,8m with a 300HPDI with high discovery console and 2 X 2 jockey, single tank 220 liters.
Speed 52 knots.
petrov me old mucka,
as you most likely know from chris this is a genuine purchase, would you go wid twin etecs or the yam route,?wid single tank
Old 02 May 2006, 20:28   #7

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
I have just specced my 8.5, and ended up deciding on a merc 275, instead of two 150 optis. This 2 x spec is for offshore long range stuff. IMHO If u want a fast run, and be able to fly right, without the heavy fuel consumption go for the single 300. I've leapt off many a wave coming at me, and a few have lifted the bow so high , I was glad I had a single when I landed, twins are tools for reliability, maybe speed if the conditions are right, but if you push it, with the xtra tail weight you might regret it, mind you etecs are lighter than optis WOOOHOOO why not
Old 02 May 2006, 20:30   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I would go for a Suzuki 250 - then trade it up to the 300 next year.

Definitely a single though.
Old 02 May 2006, 21:03   #9

Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x coal burners
Quote:
7.5mtr osprey vipermax
twin 220ltr fuel tanks

Much as I love the Etecs, I'd say that twin 200's on a 7.5m would be overkill. I'm also not really sure that I buy into the whole twin engined thing on the grounds of reliability. If you really want to minimise the chances of breakdown you would need to buy the fuel for each tank from two different sources. Is this really logistically possible for you? I'd suggest a big single rig with decent aux as a back up.

The weight issue would also be a concern to me. Most Ribs are inherently bow light & any additional stern weight could cause a few problems when it gets a bit blowy out there.

I think Richard makes a valid point. Why not spend the money a second outboard would cost on a longer hull? I was amazed by the improvement in sea keeping between a 7.5 & 8m version of the same manufacturers hull when we did some evaluations recently.

Good luck anyway

Cheers

Ian
Old 02 May 2006, 21:18   #10

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
i think the fuel consumption would probably horrify you as well, a 7.5m osprey with 400 hp is going to be a bit of a beast and as mentioned earlier probably a bit heavy on the back as well as very expensive to buy from an engine point of view. i would have said 300 would probably be plenty.

I personally would go with a single engine to cut down on servicing, fuel, weight, costs and ongoing costs etc etc

imagine what your 6.5 went like with 150 and then consider 200kg more boat and 250extra hp..........mmmm possibly a bit much unless you are going to carry a lot of people/weight

i dont think mike has any longer moulds for a 8 or 8.5 so i guess it will be 7.5

that is the boat length i would have liked originally but only the 6.5 was available
Old 02 May 2006, 21:33   #11

Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Engine: Plenty
Quote:
petrov me old mucka,
as you most likely know from chris this is a genuine purchase, would you go wid twin etecs or the yam route,?wid single tank
My hair starts to get grey
400hp on the boat is not a problem but i think it can be very aggresive in high speeds so it will need a lot of control from the driver.
300hp single setup is pretty undramatic in 52 knots but still very sporty and comfortable ride, and so will the twin setup in 52 knots also be but than you still can get maybe 8 knots and you know how it is, always full throttle when you have that power but than the costs will increase
I dont really agree with the fuelconsumption, a boat that is aggresive in high speeds you often use around 4500 to 4800 revs, that fuelconsumption compare to 5,800 revs on a single installation is probably almost the same (i am comparing twin 200 to single 300 as mentioned)
The twin installation will hopefully hold longer because not using the last 1000-1500 revs but you still have to buy the engines and the price difference is pretty big so you have to drive many hours to save thoose money.
Everything depends of what amount of money you want to spend on props and steering but if you have a high budget you can have a great stable boat but offcourse the costs will increase
Old 03 May 2006, 02:05   #12

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Quote:
7.5mtr osprey vipermax
twin 220ltr fuel tanks

It would be fun with the twins...... If you go that route put trim tabs on it, that way the boat will/should plane at lower rpm and the rpm factor is a major issue in fuel consumption. If I keep my foot out of it the motors I am running are decent on fuel, raise the revs by 4 or 500 at cruise and consumption takes off. I have got to say I really love having the twins, they sound so good when you nail it on takeoff... If you are gonna play I guess you got to pay!
Old 03 May 2006, 06:03   #13

nice imput,
jeezus nothing is easy is it,,, this is going to be used for pyro work so the cost doesnt hurt to much,as it goes on the books then gets rit of after few years (like that bit)
i did think it was a bit over kill 2 etecs on back, but osprey was offering the engines at right price for a pair, but yes you could save tadge under 8k minus 1 engine,
52 knots sounds good wid 300 though, guess you sit a nice aux on the back. and its a way home , it is going to be used offshore for various pyro work and testing, that would be a good day out for any one who likes a big bang,,

13 weeks build time this bit worrys me been there before, plenty second hand big ribs out there but , not the same a ssorting your own..mmmmmmmmmm
Old 03 May 2006, 06:57   #14

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Aquaholic
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 V8
Send a message via Skype™ to benc
Quote:
7.5mtr osprey vipermax
twin 220ltr fuel tanks

My tornado has twin yamaha 4 strokes, weighing about 194kg each... boat normally flies quite straight, and lands nicely. Transom has no problems handling the landing with the weight on the back.
Old 03 May 2006, 11:18   #15
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:
plenty second hand big ribs out there but , not the same a ssorting your own..mmmmmmmmmm
If I came into some money, I would be over to buy this: http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F96291

no good for commercial work though, but I ve always wanted a Phantom Evo
Old 03 May 2006, 11:29   #16
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
i think the fuel consumption would probably horrify you
Nah, Nuge is on the Sunday Times Top 100 rich list.

Stop wussing about and go for the twins.

DM
Old 03 May 2006, 13:16   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmanning
Nah, Nuge is on the Sunday Times Top 100 rich list.

Stop wussing about and go for the twins.

DM
i wish dave,,,,,,,,,,now my mate, well he gets by..
Old 03 May 2006, 13:54   #18

Make: Osprey
Engine: 250 HP E-Tec
Nugent,

I have been on a Viper max 7.5 with a Yamaha 250 4 stroke and an other one with an E-Tec 250 HP. both have almost the same speed. one is doing 53 kn (Yam) and the other one is doing 54 kn.

I know BMC is rebuilding a Lynx that used to have a single 250 VMax. The owner is putting 2 etec's 200HP on it.

In a couple of weeks they will also build a Viper Max 7.5 for competition with twin engines (but don't know what engines). Maybe you can give them a call for more info?

Paul
Old 04 May 2006, 03:22   #19

Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki 300
Engine choice

Nugent

Single with yam 300 all the time!!!

Go for it!
Old 08 May 2006, 10:51   #20

Make: Osprey
Engine: 250 HP E-Tec
Nuget,

This weekend a asked about the 7.5 ViperMax they are going to fit with twin engines. They are going to put twin Mercury 200XS engines on it's back.

So i guess twin Etec's shouldn't be a problem ...

Paul