Old 28 February 2005, 03:28   #21
Trade member

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Thats why Sunsail , Neilson and many other charter companies around the world , operate in Countries that accept the ICC as proof of competence. If they did not, then it would not make sense from a business point of view would it.

If you want to charter abroad from a non UK based company then check with the company what is accepted as proof of competence before parting with any cash so as to avoid dissapointment
Old 28 February 2005, 04:27   #22
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteb
can you imagine going on an annual holiday to charter and being turned away when you arrive because of this!
Can you imagine going on an annual holiday to charter without checking that you have the necessary qualifications and documents first?

John

Old 28 February 2005, 07:53   #23
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
R U flanker?

Can't you tel Stu?
Don't tell me me you are going to make up a Limerick !
Old 28 February 2005, 09:10   #24

Town: Brixham, Devon
Boat name: FLY-BY/FLY-BY II
Make: Ribcraft/Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 175/Yamaha 30
I must agree that it is not printed on the ICC application form clearly stating what the ICC can be used for and where.
Unless I have not had any new ICC app forms for 2005? Maybe you can tell be Tim as I have only got the May 2004 form.

Torbay & Dartmouth Powerboat School
01803 855508
The South West Premier RYA Powerboat Training Centre
www.powerboat-instruction.co.uk
David Hickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2005, 11:21   #25

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Engine: Several
Irish Sailing Association Website

Hi Pete and others ,

Sorry for taking a while to join in this but I've just got back to the office after the Dublin Boat Show.

Just wondering Pete..........Your concerns seem to be about the RYA , but the URL you quote ( below) is from the Irish Sailing Association ISA website www.sailing.ie .

What this site points out is that an RYA Cert cannot be used as the basis for an Irish Government issued ICC...You must use an ISA Cert. The contrary applies in the UK. Even though the ISA and RYA cross recognise each others Certs and Instructors within their respective Powerboat Schemes, they are not allowed to issue ICCs unless the applicant has a qualification ( National Powerboat Cert or Level 2) from the ICC issuing country.

While an ICC will be recognised by partner nations, it does not of course guarantee qualification or recognition status from an individual charterer. This is a matter between the ICC holder and the charter company.

Best wishes,

Stuart
[QUOTE=peteb] sailing.ie, giving wrong advice?

http://www.sailing.ie/dynamic/pdf/IC...Qs(july04).pdf

I hope that the RYA are going to write to all the people that they have issued the ICC to in the last 5 years to warn them that unless they are using it on a British registered vessel, then it is a useless piece of paper, and that all holders are required to undergo training in the country they wish to charter or use a non UK registered boat in.
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2005, 12:21   #26
Trade member

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin
Quote from the application for a ICC

1 ELIGIBILITY
This certificate is only available to British citizens and bona fide British residents over the age of 16.Evidence of residency for non-citizens will be required in the form of a photocopy of a driving licence , utility bill, Council Tax bill or bank statement ect. Further authenticated evidence residency for non-citizens may be required.
The ICC is acceptable for British citizens or residents using a British flagged vessel for leisure .Other countries may accept the ICC for their native flagged vessels

2 EVIDENCE OF COMPETENCY Evidence may be provided in one of the following ways
a. By producing an RYA certificate of satisfactory completion of a relevant PRACTICAL course , an RYA/MCA Certificate of Competence or a Statutory Certificate of Competence issued by the MCA , or a services Bridge Watch Keeping Certificate . See list on page 4 . Section 11a below must be completed
b: By passing a test of competence at an RYA recognised training centre or an RYA affiliated club authorised to carry out tests .For power endorsed ICC'S, this test must be carried out on a vessel appropriate to the type of ICC required , ie above or below 10 metres.
Hi Dave its taken from the 2005 ICC forms
So long as people wishing to charter abroad check with the company that an ICC is acceptable proof of competency then their should not be a problem, Its down to the charter company to comply with the laws of the country they operate in . In regard to this it would make sense to operate in countries that accept ICC certificates issued in this country and other countries where they have a client base .
Old 28 February 2005, 12:24   #27

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Can't you tel Stu?
Don't tell me me you are going to make up a Limerick !
That particularly penny dropped very slowly!

No I wan't going to make up a limerick but I am, sure that gArfie could!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2005, 12:54   #28

Town: Poole
New ICC form here http://www.rya.org.uk/images/uploade...ation_Form.pdf

Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2005, 14:00   #29

Town: London
Make: Larson
Engine: Volvo D4 260hp DP
Stuart & Paul, thanks. The new form sets out exactly what it should say, what I am annoyed about is the fact that I was informed that I 'must' have an ICC to charter abroad, and this would be accepted in all other countries, this is of course nonsense as it is not valid legally for anything other than a British registered vessel. I see from comments that certain charter companies accept it as proof, but they would probably also accept a dayskipper or YM certificate as well, so not only do you not 'need' to have it, you are relying on the goodwill of other countries to accept it. I was falsley misled into believing that this was my 'international certificate' to use or to charter a boat anywhere, and would not have questioned with a charter company whether I had the correct certification, I would have just turned up as I was told by the RYA this was my certification.

I will be using a friends power boat in the Cayman Islands in 4 weeks time, I don't know whether or not I will need any further qualifications there, I will need to check that out unless anyone here can help.

Thanks again for the help on this matter.

P.S. Stuart, re the Irish link, it states that the ICC must be obtained in order to charter a vessel abroad, it does not make it clear that it must be British registered vessel, or the fact that the ICC is not legally valid, or just 'may' be accepted, and does not say that 'any' other proof of experience may also be accepted instead. I guess they will alter it now after this new info has come out.
Old 28 February 2005, 15:38   #30

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Engine: Several
Peter,

I must correct you.

The Irish Sailing Association website you quote does not state "that the ICC must be obtained in order to charter a vessel abroad" and I would ask you with respect to withdraw that very unfair accusation.

Why should an Irish Sailing Association site have to mention anything at all about "British Registered Vessels"????????.

I would ask RIB Net members to read the link you quote.

You Quote:

P.S. Stuart, re the Irish link, it states that the ICC must be obtained in order to charter a vessel abroad, it does not make it clear that it must be British registered vessel, or the fact that the ICC is not legally valid, or just 'may' be accepted, and does not say that 'any' other proof of experience may also be accepted instead. I guess they will alter it now after this new info has come out. [/QUOTE]

Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote