Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 20 July 2014, 15:03   #1

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Might be the wrong place to ask but...

Looking into getting either a ring16 with a 115hp yamaha or a bayliner 175xt 135hp.

There's not much difference in length between the two but there's a power & weight difference.

What I'm asking is will there be much difference in expenses on fuel & will launching/recovering the bayliner be much harder than the ring?

I believe there is only just over 100kg weight difference (bayliner being the heaviest)

Lastly I've never owned or used an inboard before. What are they like? Reliable? Thirsty?

Cheers
Luke

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1405868531.598465.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	96902

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1405868615.029075.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	96903
Old 20 July 2014, 15:30   #2

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
The biggest difference will be in usability. The Ring is an old school out and out race boat, narrow beam and deep V hull, with speeds over 50kts possible. However, they are not the most practical of leisure boats, fairly 'tippy' when moving about and difficult to get back into for swimming and watersports. They also have limited storage room for day out.

The Bayliner is much more leisure orientated, wider hull, more seating and lots of space for storing stuff. Speed not as good, expect low 40's.

Running costs ? The outboard will be cheaper to service, but the inboard will use less fuel. Launch and recovery will depend on trailer, but its easy to drive both boats on and off when on the slip.

Both are excellent boats in their own way, but only you can decide which is best for you. Judging by your current boat and car, I think you are more Ring, than Bayliner
Old 20 July 2014, 15:36   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
The biggest difference will be in usability. The Ring is an old school out and out race boat, narrow beam and deep V hull, with speeds over 50kts possible. However, they are not the most practical of leisure boats, fairly 'tippy' when moving about and difficult to get back into for swimming and watersports. They also have limited storage room for day out.

The Bayliner is much more leisure orientated, wider hull, more seating and lots of space for storing stuff. Speed not as good, expect low 40's.

Running costs ? The outboard will be cheaper to service, but the inboard will use less fuel. Launch and recovery will depend on trailer, but its easy to drive both boats on and off when on the slip.

Both are excellent boats in their own way, but only you can decide which is best for you. Judging by your current boat and car, I think you are more Ring, than Bayliner

Cheers!

I'm after some that I can take people out on and go wakeboarding etc. bayliner comes with a waketower and the ring has a ski pole.

Other option is a fletcher 17/15 gto bowrider like this one..

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1405870604.439871.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	96907
Old 20 July 2014, 16:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukewhiting View Post
Cheers!

I'm after some that I can take people out on and go wakeboarding etc. bayliner comes with a waketower and the ring has a ski pole.

Other option is a fletcher 17/15 gto bowrider like this one..

Attachment 96907
In that case, the Ring is not for you. The Bayliner is a much nicer day boat.

Family have had a few Fletchers over the years and been really happy with them, they also have excellent resale. A 17GTO bowrider would be great, 15 is quite a bit smaller and no bow seating. I would be happy with either the Bayliner or a Fletcher.

My old 19GTS in Wales.

Old 20 July 2014, 16:43   #5

Defiantly swaying towards the fletchers. Either a 15ft with a 75hp or the larger 17gto. They seem smaller and more manageable than the bayliner.
Old 20 July 2014, 16:49   #6

Quote:
Defiantly swaying towards the fletchers. Either a 15ft with a 75hp or the larger 17gto. They seem smaller and more manageable than the bayliner.

If you are going to be towing with the MG, the Fletcher would be a lighter choice. The 15 is a great boat, but its much smaller inside than the Bayliner.

We had one in the 80's, a 155 with a 90hp 2 stroke Yamaha. It was propped for sking and did about 43kts, used to get 4mpg mixed use on Windermere. I have seen them with higher pitch props hit 50kts, still stable at that speed with no sign of chine walk. The ones you are looking at will be a bit newer and heavier, but you should still hit high 30's with a 75.
Old 20 July 2014, 16:56   #7

Quote:
If you are going to be towing with the MG, the Fletcher would be a lighter choice. The 15 is a great boat, but its much smaller inside than the Bayliner.

We had one in the 80's, a 155 with a 90hp 2 stroke Yamaha. It was propped for sking and did about 43kts, used to get 4mpg mixed use on Windermere. I have seen them with higher pitch props hit 50kts, still stable at that speed with no sign of chine walk. The ones you are looking at will be a bit newer and heavier, but you should still hit high 30's with a 75.

Should be getting put on the mothers insurance till I get my new car so will be towing with her zafira.

Not too bothered about massive speed anymore just want something with storage, comfy seats, stereo & can tow a wakeboard
Old 20 July 2014, 18:01   #8

Quote:
Should be getting put on the mothers insurance till I get my new car so will be towing with her zafira.

Not too bothered about massive speed anymore just want something with storage, comfy seats, stereo & can tow a wakeboard
Thats the Bayliner then

But the Fletcher will also do the job,make sure you look at the internal size difference between the 15 and 17 Bowrider its huge.
Old 20 July 2014, 18:42   #9

Quote:
Thats the Bayliner then

But the Fletcher will also do the job,make sure you look at the internal size difference between the 15 and 17 Bowrider its huge.

I will, cheers! Hopefully view a bayliner this weekend. £4400, 2004, needs new propeller & trim gauge but otherwise sound. Selling due to family member I'll health