Old 05 February 2004, 15:43   #21

Town: Sunny Ynys Môn
Boat name: Windchill 2
Make: Ring Powercraft 685
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 175
Presumably, the dismissive tone in which locals are dicussed on the forum is "all in the best possible taste", because the development on William Roberts' land adjacent to the strip is certainly out of the league of most of us! If not, "twll din bob sais!!"

This issue has been on going for many years, but would now appear to have a real chance of coming into effect. The is a new site under preparation for the timber yard at Four Crosses.

However, there is also a very strong local pressure group averse to any change.

I will get you more info if I can.
Old 05 February 2004, 16:19   #22

More

Outline planning application has been submitted for 18 apartments and 12 two storey houses, plus a new entrance to the site.

A similar application was succesfully objected to by local residents a few years ago.

Ieuan Russel Hughes is the architect (good chap actually!) LDC Ltd the developer.

Petitions have already been submitted to the planning department in respect of this latest application ref 390291B

Anti campaign being headed by Menai Bridge civic Society - Maureen Parry Williams, backed by CPRW and (bad news for you lot) Cymuned (remember paraffin?).

Any of you "on the square" if so, shake hands nicely with Arthur Owen, Director of Planning for the local authority.

More to follow
Old 05 February 2004, 19:42   #23

Town: Kidderminster
Boat name: Hawkeye
Make: Aircraft 6.5m
Engine: Evinrude E-Tec 175
MMSI: 235020633
Send a message via Yahoo to John Firth Send a message via Skype™ to John Firth
Thank you Richard, I'm sure none of us wish to offend anyone.

It is really helpful to have someone who knows the true story.
Any advice we can get on how best to proceed without alienating residents in the vicinity of any launch sites nationally will be of benefit to all RIBsters.

A Man Has to Know His Limitations
John Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2004, 19:49   #24

While you're there Richard

Have you tried the slipway at the Gazelle Hotel?

Neil there sounds a pleasant chap who tells me it is also a local council slipway.

Do you have any other information?

Old 05 February 2004, 19:52   #25

I've just e-mailed Phil to cover a few points.

However, how many of you are aware of the "other" plans which are afoot in respect of the North East side of Gallows point in Beaumaris?

We use it freely, if muddily, at the moment, but that could all change if the county council (to whom Menter Môn are NOT linked anymore) and ABC get their own way. They have already issued notices to quit to the shed users on that side, and given over management of the whole point to ABC with a view to "sanitising" the area.

Not good for us as RIBsters, or locals.

Shepheards of Windermere are reputed to be about to take over the boat sales/servicing "franchise" there too.

On a more general note, I have tried to campaign for betterr access to the sea all around the Anglesey coast, aimed at making the most of the money you bloody foreigners bring with you, and not upsetting the yokels.

At the very least, we, as an interested party, ought to nail our colours to the anit's mast on the slipway front.

I'll get some contacts,

Rant over!!!!!
Old 05 February 2004, 19:54   #26

If you can thread a shiny 4WD and RIB combo through the eye of the proverbial needle, try the Gazelle, if not don't bother!!!

We used to have a mooring there in the 70/80s, when the tide is flooding, even launching a jelly is fun!
Old 05 February 2004, 20:00   #27

Thanks for the info, it will save a lot of hassle.
We should meet up for a chat about these things and perhaps organise RIBster support for local residents.

Old 05 February 2004, 21:30   #28

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Diolch yr fawr

Yes, many thanks indeed for your prompt and detailed reply to the request for info, Richard. Sorry I got the facts wrong about Menter Mon

Ps. I'm half Welsh, so I hope your disparaging comments about foreigners weren't directed at me
Old 05 February 2004, 22:25   #29
TAG

Town: Llanerchymedd
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 85 two stroke
Phil I wonder which half of you is Welsh! Meanwhile back at the slipway. I spoke to Ynys Mon planning today, to say they were non commital is to say at the least an under-statement. Under the current application the slipway would not be affected, however parking for vehicles & trailers would be severly affected. As to ownwership of the slipway this has apparently been disputed by several residents of Menia Bridge. I have contacted the developers, but as yet have had no reply. Will keep trying!!!!!!!
Old 05 February 2004, 22:50   #30

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
I Think were all worrying about nothing.

No offence to any Local Welsh Locals but the locals that normally phone the police really are mmmmmm scousers mmmmmmm
Old 06 February 2004, 08:11   #31

There are plenty of them that use the slip during the season!!

To say they would benefit from Jono's services, and those of a trailer reversing instructor, is an understatement!!

Has anybody witnessed the "trailer rage" which has become a regular feature of summer life in Trearddur Bay. Whoever build the slip with a bit of a curve in it had a wicked sense of humour!!

Front wheel drive cars, trailers towed once or twice a year, wife, kids, curved slip, and a queue!! brilliant entertainment!!
Old 06 February 2004, 10:20   #32

Save our slipway Jan 19 2004

By David Greenwood Daily Post

PLANS to build luxury waterside homes overlooking the Menai Strait could force the closure of a slipway used by boat owners for more than 40 years.

The future of the Porth y Wrach slipway, at Menai Bridge, has been thrown into doubt because of possible car parking problems if extensive housing developments go ahead in the area.

But the closure threat has sparked a storm of protest from the Civic Society.

Its members claim the waterfront should be earmarked for community use and include a heritage centre.

The slipway, built by the government during the war and taken over by the town's former urban council in the 1960s, is used by owners of small angling boats, divers and jet skiers. It is also an ideal launch site for people who have vessels moored in the Strait.

At the moment the boat owners leave their cars and trailers on the nearby county council-owned Min y Don site.

It is being sold for development and there are plans for up to 22 homes.

Min y Don is near a timber yard and old warehouse - the focus of another plan to build 38 houses and apartments.

Suggesting closure of the slipway, the island's senior maritime officer Mike Mothersole warned of the existing limited parking and said the situation would only get worse with the develop-ment of Min y Don. He also warns that reclaiming part of the foreshore for parking would be expensive.

But last night Selwyn Williams, chairman of Menai Bridge and District Civic Society, described the idea of closing the slipway as scandalous.

"We have been campaigning to try and persuade the county council to leave the waterfront alone as a local amenity where local people and visitors can take in the wonderful views of the Menai Strait. There are no other suitable launch sites to the Strait in the area, except at Beaumaris."

He added: "Selling prime land to developers is trashing our local history and heritage."

Extract from the newspaper
Old 09 February 2004, 15:42   #33

Hmmm!! All lost interest, or am I about to be found somewhere near the high water mark with my tongue cut out?
Old 10 February 2004, 12:07   #34

Richard

No, certainly no loss of interest, it just appears we've deferred to you on this one! Would you suggest that we now write individually to the aforementioned Arthur Owen at the Planning Dept. and if so perhaps you wouldn't mind furnishing us with a contact address?

Unfortunately I appear to have temporarily mislaid my masonic apron and tools and, you know, a man in my position really can't be seen wandering the streets of London's business quarter with a rolled-up trouser leg, draped in a silken noose and holding a sharp instrument against my bared nipple. Not that I would wish to mock the activities of bored middle-aged men who hanker after a faintly exotic social life, and if Mr.Owen is willing to block planning permission for the Menai Bridge development, then I would be more than happy to roll up my trouser leg, dress up in Middle Age costume and join him in a ritualistic ceremony of his choice
Old 10 February 2004, 15:35   #35

Click logo to return to section index

Welcome | Best Value |
Built Environment and Landscape | Comments and Complaints | Community Planning
Countryside Management | Development control | Environmental Health |
Foot and Mouth | Planning Application Forms | Policy, research and information | Sustainable Development |
Trading Standards | Unitary Development Plan|
Waste Management and Recycling

Welcome to The Planning and Environmental Services Department
Director: Mr Arthur Owen
Heads of Service
Head of Service - Planning: Mr Jim Woodcock
Head of Service - Environmental Services: Mr Terry Jones

The Planning and Environment Department delivers a service which gives priority to supporting the local economy by protecting the environment and enhancing the quality of life
Planning Section
The Section is responsible for the following services:

Sustainable Development
Local Agenda 21 and other Strategies (e.g., Community Plan, Biodiversity Plan)

Local Agenda 21
Biodiversity

Planning Policy
the preparation of the Unitary Development Plan and relevant planning guidance and planning research activities (including Census information)

Unitary Development Plan
Minerals Plan
Inter-Authority Groups
Research
Local Strategy
Trend Analysis and Policy Audit
Development Briefs
Countryside Management
Marketing and promotion of the area both for industry and tourism

the preparation of the Countryside Strategy and the Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) Management Plan and management of countryside sites and facilities, eg, Breakwater Country Park, Llys Llywelyn, the Dingle (Llangefni), Mill Race (Beaumaris), Mynydd Bodafon, Tywyn Llyn (Rhosneigr).

Countryside Management Plans, Site and Centre Management
Access to the Countryside
Non-Statutory Countryside Designations
Built Environment and Landscape
protection and enhancement of Listed Buildings, Conservation Areas and Trees (including the Coed Cymru initiative) and implementation of environmental improvement/ derelict land schemes.

Development Control
Dealing with applications, appeals and enforcement under Planning and Building Control legislation.

Planning Applications
Planning Appeals
Advertisement Control
Listed Building Applications
Development Advice
Complaints
Enforcement
Environmental Services
The Section is responsible for the following services with the Island:

Environmental Health
the main responsibilities include promoting public health and contributing towards the strategy for protecting and improving the environment.

Trading Standards
The Trading Standards Service of the Isle of Anglesey County Council serves the local community by promoting a safe and equitable trading environment and encouraging good business practice and protecting consumers.

Waste Management/Waste Collection and Cleansing
to ensure that all premises receive a weekly collection of refuse wherever possible and clean and keep clean such roads, streets, pavements, public car parks, beaches, etc. as are necessary to present a clean and tidy environment and to keep clean and maintain public conveniences provided for the public's use. To develop and promote recycling initiatives.

Licensing Controls in Public Protection Matters
to effectively administer and monitor those activities which require some degree of regulation or control involving registration or licensing; in the interests of public protection or safety.

Waste Disposal
to manage the client role of the waste disposal authority

You can contact us at:

Planning and Environmental Services Department,
Isle of Anglesey County Council,
Council Offices,
Llangefni,
Anglesey.
LL77 7TW
Tel: 01248 752428 / 752153
Fax: 01248 752412
Email: planning@anglesey.gov.uk

09/12/2003

Annual Audit Letter | Best Value | Brief History of the Council | Community Newspaper - Anglesey News
Community Plan | Complaints Procedure | Constitution | Corporate Objectives | Corporate Plan
| Councillors | Council Committees, Diary & Minutes | Electoral | Executive Work Programme |
Finance and Information Technology | Isle of Anglesey County Council - Improvement Plan 2002 - 2003
Job Vacancies and Personnel Policies | Links | Main Council Policies | Management Team | MP,MEP and Welsh Assembly Member | Official Notices and Tenders | Press |
Final Report of IDeA (Improvement and Development Agency) Performance Support - February 2002
Services & Departments | Social Enterprise | Standards Committee | Town & Parish Councils |
Unitary Development Plan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isle of Anglesey County Council, Council Offices,
Llangefni, Anglesey. LL77 7TW
01248 750057

Copyright © 1998 - 2003 Isle of Anglesey County Council
Anglesey Weather | Contact Us | Technical Information |
County Council Offices Location | Disclaimer |
Please send us your Comments or Complaints

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 10 February 2004, 18:19   #36

Aaaaaaah.....

Christ, no wonder people join the Masons when the content of their job description's that bloody boring. Dressing up in goat skins suddenly has a faint appeal
Old 11 February 2004, 08:17   #37

I think a letter/letters from NW Ribsters pointing out the diversity of our membership, and the benefits we bring to the area would be useful, obviously emphasising the fact that without convenient access to the water, we will be forced to take ourselves, and therby our custom, elsewhere.

Given the Beaumaris situation too, we may be stuck with Holyhead or Trearddur, with no safe access to the Straits. Friars Bay can be evil, and is likely to be lost in the not too distant future, again due to re-development.

Thing is, they sing too!!!!!
Old 11 February 2004, 11:05   #38

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
I will write a letter from my company, especially as we are opening our new Menai office Shortly and this slip will be important to us.
Old 11 February 2004, 15:19   #39

New office in Menai Bridge? Tell me more?