Old 06 June 2013, 15:35   #1

Town: Orpington and Lymington
Boat name: Charrnah
Make: 6.5m Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 150
medway / thames

I'm looking to bring my rib up to the Kent area soon but have been looking on boat launch and the internet but having trouble finding a decent launch site I feel somewhat spoiled by the failities in Lymington basically need a decent slip that is near some kinda of marina / boat yard for storage ... any suggestions?
Old 06 June 2013, 16:05   #2

Town: Birchington
Boat name: Moneypenny
Make: Avon SR 5.4
Engine: Yam 90
Welcome to my world!! You most definitely are spoilt down down your neck of the woods.

No decent launch sites anywhere east of Herne Bay, which is tidal.
Probably worth Googling marinas around Medway.
If you do find anywhere there are some good points of interest in the Thames estuary
Have a look at Shivering Sand Towers
Old 09 June 2013, 05:54   #3

Make: Tornado
Engine: Twin 50 Mariners
Yes, it's rather more limited, especially on the N Kent coast, than the Lymington/Solent area. The only 24 hr slip I know is at Queenborough and that's a long narrow thing witha bend in the middle. We've used Gillingham,which is easier, but probably only HW +/- 2 or 3. limited parking at both. There's the marina at Gillingham which has locking in and out but I don't believe they allow use of their slip by "casual" visitors - presumably you could keep the boat in the water in the marina at a cost. Otherwise it'd be marinas further up the Medway or slips like Allington,but they have their own tidal access limitations

But nothing like those wide easy 24 hr slips on the S coast I'm afraid
Old 10 June 2013, 17:40   #4

Thanks for the replies so the gillingham slip would be closer to me I did email Gillingham marina but they could only lift in for 110 pounds major £££

Thier hard storage was pricey too!

Have to go down and have a look at gillingham slip to see what is like!

If all else fails I could go to the Essex side but that a longer drive
Old 10 June 2013, 18:00   #5

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Paul , there is not a lot on the Essex side ! There is a slip at North Woolwich ( Barge House Road ) , but in my opinion , only usable at slack high tide , and that's with a 4 X 4 !

If the tides are favourable though , this is only 2 minutes from Gallions Point Marina . ( Lock in and out at HW +/- 5 hours ) .

There is also Poplar Rowing Club for launch/recovery same day but with strong cross tides , if not slack . Otherwise it's up to Putney .

If you fancy the Barge House Rd slip , let me know and I'll check out it's condition ( not used it this year yet ). Bern
Old 10 June 2013, 18:11   #6

Town: surrey
Boat name: el nino
Make: tornado humber
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboards
the only place on medway is cuxton marina with only couple hours either side high water but you can leave on pontoon
Old 10 June 2013, 18:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon0310 View Post
the only place on medway is cuxton marina with only couple hours either side high water but you can leave on pontoon
Now that sounds more like a viable option.. have to look into that one..thanks! only want to come up to the thames and have a run and look at the old forts in the middle and then maybe a run to london
Old 10 June 2013, 19:18   #8

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck View Post
There is also Poplar Rowing Club for launch/recovery same day but with strong cross tides , if not slack . Otherwise it's up to Putney .
Am I right in thinking that no license is needed for Thames below (100m downstream of) Teddington? Thus launching at Putney and use of river in that area would be free? How far does the 8kt speed restriction extend - to Tower Brudge?
Old 10 June 2013, 19:49   #9
RIK

Town: Hertfordshire
Boat name: Five-o
Make: Tornado 645
Length: 6m +
Engine: mercury Optimax 150
Paul, Greenwich yatch club has a all states slip way
I live in Hertfordshire north of London ,I tow my boat it Gives me all options ,I found a few slipways in Essex.
Where in London do you live,
Old 10 June 2013, 19:54   #10

Town: London
Length: 4m +
IanH, the 8 knots limit extends down to Wandsworth Bridge, after that its 12 knots all the way down to Margaretness, just past City Airport (since July 1st last year).
Old 10 June 2013, 19:55   #11
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck View Post
There is also Poplar Rowing Club for launch/recovery same day but with strong cross tides , if not slack . Otherwise it's up to Putney.
Take caution - I've heard a rumour this has a gate across it now.

Chris
Old 10 June 2013, 20:55   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIK View Post
Paul, Greenwich yatch club has a all states slip way
I live in Hertfordshire north of London ,I tow my boat it Gives me all options ,I found a few slipways in Essex.
Where in London do you live,

South london - orpington will have family in essex near basildon so essex could be another option just a pain to tow it that distance when the river is so close!

Will have to look into Grenwich also! thanks
Old 11 June 2013, 08:01   #13

Town: Beckenham
Boat name: Lavanco
Make: Birchwood
Length: 7m +
Engine: I/O diesel
There is a slip at Gillingham pier on the West side of Gillingham marina, couple of hours either side of HW I think, then the Strand on the East side of Gillingham marina narrow with potholes and only really suitable for hand launch, the local sail club has had their trailers axles narrowed so they can use it. On Sheppey there is Bartons point slip not too bad if you are good at reversing, parking is down the road near a pub, there used to be a slip by the Kingsferry bridge onto Sheppey but I think you need to join a ski club to use it now.
Old 12 June 2013, 19:02   #14
RIK

Town: Hertfordshire
Boat name: Five-o
Make: Tornado 645
Length: 6m +
Engine: mercury Optimax 150
Paul , I did not reply straight away, could not remember name of slip way near Basildon. It is paglesham hard boat yard near Rochford . This is the only all states tide in the area , check out boat launch
I am trying to get on to Thames later in the year if you fancy a blast
I sometimes go to Brightlingsea if my lot want a day water sports , not a great lover of east coast i can not be doing with all the mud and brown water
Old 12 June 2013, 20:26   #15

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Engine: Yam 80
Hi,
Slips for the Mudway.
Medway bridge marina. Good slip but strong current at all but HW +/- 1hr. Pontoon berth and parking. Not sure of charges.

Gillingham Pier. If he catches you I think it's about £5 each way. A gentle slope so not good for car launching. Access HW +/- 3hr with soft glutinous mud at the bottom.

Gillingham Strand. A poxy place to launch. Ok at hw but avoid if possible.

I use the public slip at Sheppey Yacht Club. Access is about HW +/-4hr. Free of charge. Be careful when the wind has any north in it, the breakers appear from nowhere! Parking on Marine Parade.

A bit further east along the coast towards Halfway and Minster is Bartons Point which again is exposed to a northerly and they charge you to park. Access is about HW +/-3hr.

Queenborough. Access at all states of tide but awkward at HW +/-1hr. The slip starts off ok but levels off for a couple of hundred yards before curving to the right and then its ok again. There are two areas off to the side where you can pass/prepare. Launching and car park is free. There is a pub at the top of the slip with another just down the road. To the west is the all tide pontoon. £1 per person to enter the pontoon (tokens from either pub or Queenborough Yacht club). No overnight mooring.

Best marina is Chatham. 24hr lock access, £15 a night for my 5.4m.

Alternatively there is a public slip at Whitstable, free of charge but parking can be very busy. Access HW +/- 3hr and about an hour from the Medway. Herne Bay is further east. Good wide slip with car & trailer parking. Slip is free but parking is not. Access HW +/-4hr.

Hope that helps!
Old 12 June 2013, 21:00   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
Hi,
Slips for the Mudway.
Medway bridge marina. Good slip but strong current at all but HW +/- 1hr. Pontoon berth and parking. Not sure of charges.

Gillingham Pier. If he catches you I think it's about £5 each way. A gentle slope so not good for car launching. Access HW +/- 3hr with soft glutinous mud at the bottom.

Gillingham Strand. A poxy place to launch. Ok at hw but avoid if possible.

I use the public slip at Sheppey Yacht Club. Access is about HW +/-4hr. Free of charge. Be careful when the wind has any north in it, the breakers appear from nowhere! Parking on Marine Parade.

A bit further east along the coast towards Halfway and Minster is Bartons Point which again is exposed to a northerly and they charge you to park. Access is about HW +/-3hr.

Queenborough. Access at all states of tide but awkward at HW +/-1hr. The slip starts off ok but levels off for a couple of hundred yards before curving to the right and then its ok again. There are two areas off to the side where you can pass/prepare. Launching and car park is free. There is a pub at the top of the slip with another just down the road. To the west is the all tide pontoon. £1 per person to enter the pontoon (tokens from either pub or Queenborough Yacht club). No overnight mooring.

Best marina is Chatham. 24hr lock access, £15 a night for my 5.4m.

Alternatively there is a public slip at Whitstable, free of charge but parking can be very busy. Access HW +/- 3hr and about an hour from the Medway. Herne Bay is further east. Good wide slip with car & trailer parking. Slip is free but parking is not. Access HW +/-4hr.

Hope that helps!

Wow now there's some info there was looking at Cuxton but that's an hour and half before you get out the river! Thanks like the sound of sheppy so thats 4 hours either side of hw?

Is the parking on the road? Etc?

Out of interest what's the deal with gillingham stand??
Old 13 June 2013, 12:07   #17

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Engine: Yam 80
For Sheppey YC, leave your trailer on the apron / sea wall by the slip, then park the car on Marine Parade or Seager Rd.

Gill Pier, I believe he is based in a porta-cabin nearby and if he knows you are there, will come and collect the fee. Both times I have launched there we weren't challenged. Parked up just past the slip with the trailer.

On Google maps, search Marine Parade, Sheerness and the club and slip are just a bit to the east.
Search Pier Approach Rd, and the slip is on the south side of the dock. The pontoons are private with no access.

Hope that helps.