Old 13 May 2015, 18:00   #41

Town: Gillingham Dorset
Boat name: Green Marlin
Make: Quickilver
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Mariner
In my experience, having a written basic guide is whats its important. Non boaty types have no idea ch16 is the emergency one & fair do's why choose 16 ?

Depending on the emergency I'd always say get the important bits out first, location will always be the difficult bit for non boaty types.

Old 13 May 2015, 18:21   #42
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Cheeki Rafiki activated a PLB and despite Boston CG knowing she was shipping water there was a pause if 17 minutes while they tried to contact the boat including by Email! I really hope if I ever press red or PLB that someone doesn't email me to say am I OK!
By the time they've got to the point of your brief email response the helo will have arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
and of course the CG are so stupid that they cant look at the lat long and describe the position to non dsc vessels......
The CG don't even know those vessels are there. They will mayday relay and might translate coords to a description but its not necessarily the first response.

Quote:
I am not saying don't use voice, i am being a realist, in a real emergency, (fire on board)
but the OP's question is about his "passengers" making a distress call which means that either something has happened that "he" is MOB or he's medically incapacitated. If that were me I'd want the CG to know which ASAP so they deploy the right resource, e.g. an ambulance at the nearest jetty / beach, a helo, or lots of search assets.

Quote:
If it's a MOB and the button is pushed the CG with have a start point to work from and they have fairly comprehensive drift calculations a to figure out a start area.
nobody has suggested not using the red button though have they?

Quote:
Having some untrained, inexperienced, person trying to describe where they are while having no clue, will not expedite a rescue.
Do you kidnap the people on your boat or only go out with muppets? In the solent I realise it will be necessary to pinpoint your boat to 5m accuracy so its not confused with one of the neighbouring vessels (probably within shouting distance!) but in many other cases if you get a voice mayday on a handheld chances are you can see the caller!

Quote:
Any way i provided links to a script for Trimix as well, so I am not sure why the high horses are out?
As willk said there huge advantages to the PAX from voice comms - reassurance, medical advice, ability to talk to helo/lifeboat, simple suggestions like dropping anchor. All we are doing is sharing our view that it is better to show them the red button and explain how to call CG. Anyone who would find that too tricky probably isn't who I want as MY first line of rescue following a MOB.
Old 14 May 2015, 05:02   #43

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
I think the assumption by some is that everyone has a radio with DSC capability and an MMSI registration which is up to date.
Not the case. Plenty of older fixed non DSC sets still in use & any number using hand held.
The whole point is to have a procedure applicable to your boat & its equipment that ANYONE can use no matter their level of experience or training.
I often have people out with me who aren't boaties & for some it may be their first trip out. They do get a short briefing as regards engine start, the radio & the anchor but if I'm unconscious you can bet they won't remember much of it.
Clear and concise written instructions attached to the radio is my preference. As I said earlier I have a very similar thing to the RYA one but modified as an idiot's guide.
Old 14 May 2015, 05:35   #44

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
not going to sit and argue all the points Poly

Quote:
and of course the CG are so stupid that they cant look at the lat long and describe the position to non dsc vessels......
Quote:
The CG don't even know those vessels are there. They will mayday relay and might translate coords to a description but its not necessarily the first response.
How the hell is the gps coordinates going to be wrong, if the button is pushed the coordinates are going to be correct at that time. The coordinates are going to be where the vessel or at least the radio is. Buttons don't do mayday relay. I am sure some smart arse will say the signal can be spoofed in some way but that's hardly likely.

If you want me to argue every point you made let me know, and ill make the effort. but atm i cant be arsed to split the hairs any further, i've given a script, a link to find more and my thoughts, anything more than that is just being a pedant.
Old 14 May 2015, 07:40   #45
WDI

Town: Storrington, West Sussex
Make: Avon
Engine: '64 Evinrude 18hp
RIBase
Sure, the GPS (if connected) will give coordinates, but I think the point was that whilst the Coastguard could pass the location to other vessels, they won't actually know if there are any other vessels nearby unless they announce themselves.
Old 14 May 2015, 08:08   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDI View Post
Sure, the GPS (if connected) will give coordinates, but I think the point was that whilst the Coastguard could pass the location to other vessels, they won't actually know if there are any other vessels nearby unless they announce themselves.
regardless of call or button method the cg wont know who else is in the area, we are talking about the vessel in distress not the assets available.
Old 14 May 2015, 09:56   #47
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
How the hell is the gps coordinates going to be wrong, if the button is pushed the coordinates are going to be correct at that time.
It happens, I've seen this a number of times - either a GPS fault, GPS signal loss or NMEA wiring fault. Sure, it's unusual, but it's possible. DSC sets are designed to transmit the LAST KNOWN position - that can be IIRC up to an hour old? I'll concede that we may be splitting (arse)hairs but if you're presenting your information as fact then it should bear a little scrutiny.

So sure, DSC alert first (undesignated most likely) followed by some basic voice comms. FYI, the vast majority of MAYDAY calls in this area are still non-DSC...
Old 14 May 2015, 09:58   #48
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsideways View Post
Non boaty types have no idea ch16 is the emergency one & fair do's why choose 16 ?
Luckily, most VHF sets have a large dedicated 16 button to help remind them
Old 14 May 2015, 10:07   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
It happens, I've seen this a number of times - either a GPS fault, GPS signal loss or NMEA wiring fault. Sure, it's unusual, but it's possible. DSC sets are designed to transmit the LAST KNOWN position - that can be IIRC up to an hour old? I'll concede that we may be splitting (arse)hairs but if you're presenting your information as fact then it should bear a little scrutiny.

So sure, DSC alert first (undesignated most likely) followed by some basic voice comms. FYI, the vast majority of MAYDAY calls in this area are still non-DSC...
With any method of calculating position there can be errors, how accurate is a non boaty persons accuracy of position finding?

How far do we want to go with this, how many times do we want to split the hairs. I gave a link, gave a method of finding more info to the OP, he now has that and many more opinions, can we just drop the nit picking, it's so petty, or do you we want to go to playground rules?
Old 14 May 2015, 10:07   #50
WDI

Town: Storrington, West Sussex
Make: Avon
Engine: '64 Evinrude 18hp
RIBase
Quote:
regardless of call or button method the cg wont know who else is in the area
Yes. That's exactly the point.

It's all very good saying that the coast guard would be able to "look at the lat/long and describe the position to non-DSC vessels"... What Poly quite rightly pointed out there was that they don't necessarily know if there are any vessels around to describe it to.

If a non-DSC vessel hears a voice call giving position they can immediately offer assistance or not depending on where they are.