Old 01 June 2010, 20:51   #21

Town: fife
Boat name: top dog
Make: avon searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: yamaha 40
Send a message via MSN to camtheribman
Free, look at my thread on dodgey prices, sonar was right about him, he is back with a new website.
Old 01 June 2010, 21:02   #22

Boat name: No name yet
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF30
It's hard enough to try to find a boat on B+O without it being full of scams.

free
Old 01 June 2010, 22:22   #23

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
That website is actually:

"jetdriveltd.byethost8.com"

And is a phishing site (no pun intended) therefore not recommended to visit it....
Old 02 June 2010, 07:40   #24

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy758 View Post
he seemed to cancel my bids and when i won the item was not even in my "did not win " box he then said he was from glasgow! did anyone see the listing finished yesterday about 10 o'clock and was only on for 24hrs. it will not let me up load the pics, it says they are the wrong file!?!?!?!? can i change them? he also sent me a message that should have gone to someone else about buying the same rib the same way his name was kevin !! i have informed the police as i might only be one through the net! i still want to pull his head through hi A%$£hole!!!!
a thought, just say you had something that was nicked, what better way to legitimise the item than to prove that you purchased it on ebay, you were never going to buy that item when the thief is buying it himself
Old 02 June 2010, 16:18   #25
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
a thought, just say you had something that was nicked, what better way to legitimise the item than to prove that you purchased it on ebay, you were never going to buy that item when the thief is buying it himself
Far more likely that the bids were cancelled by ebay themselves due to it being a scam.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2010, 21:29   #26

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Far more likely that the bids were cancelled by ebay themselves due to it being a scam.
i don't think that ebay are that clever
Old 02 June 2010, 21:39   #27
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
i don't think that ebay are that clever
They aren't.

They'll only cancel if someone else tells them it's a scam.

Old 03 June 2010, 10:24   #28
NSS

Length: no boat
It seems that this scammer has been active on B&O for some time. I became suspicious when looking at various RIBs at the back end of last year, and wrote the following email to B&O Customer service. I never received a reply. I'll leave you to come to your own conclusions...

Dear Boats and Outboards

For several weeks now I have been searching for a RiB to purchase and have regularly viewed the listings on your site. During this time I have made email enquiries about several boats, and now on three ocassions have become very suspicious about the advertiser.

On 5th September I enquired about a Zodiac Yachtline W30 (see http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F214645 ) which is (still) listed on your site at a surprisingly low price of £2000 and indicated as being a Private Seller in Bedfordshire. I received the following reply to my email enquiry from justin.savage2@yahoo.com

Hello,

The rib is still for sale. Very good condition with low hours.
Has 30 days testing period that means you can ask for a full refund if you don't like it and we will give you the money back.The delivery charge is set at £ 170 and you will receive your product in max 3-4 days directly at your address with all papers and documents.
Please place your order for this item on our website : www.marine-bay.co.cc . After that please wait for your email invoice. You will receive it in max 24 hours.
More photos on our website.
Thank you for your interest.
Regards
MarineBay Team

I replied by saying that I wished to view the RiB prior to making a decision to purchase and asking when and where this would be possible. I received no reply.

On 10th September I enquired about another Rib, a 1997 Novurania 400 DL listed on your site with the reference number F215335 (although this advert has since been removed). I cannot recall exactly where the boat was listed as being located, I think it may have been Lincolnshire, but it was certainly not Bedfordshire. To my surprise, I again received a reply from Justin Savage, as follows...

Hello,

The rib is still for sale. Very good condition with low hours. It has a 50 Hp yamaha outboard.
Has 30 days testing period that means you can ask for a full refund if you don't like it and we will give you the money back.The delivery charge is set at £ 170 and you will receive your product in max 3-4 days directly at your address with all papers and documents.
Please place your order for this item on our website : www.marine-bay.co.cc . After that please wait for your email invoice. You will receive it in max 24 hours.
More photos on our website.
Thank you for your interest.
Regards
MarineBay Team

Having already had my suspicions aroused by the previous listing, I chose not to respond further.

Earlier today, I spotted what appeared to be another Novurania 400 DL, albeit now listed as being for sale in Dorset (see http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F217220 ), and again said to be a Private Seller. I sent off two email enquiries asking to make arrangements to view the boat, but have, til now, received no replies. Suspicious that this was in fact the same boat that I'd enquired about previously, I visited the Marine-Bay web site and, sure enough, there it was.

I decided to see how many more of the RiBs shown on that site are listed on BoatsandOutboards and found that each of the following are also listed.

1) http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F216351 a 12' Caribe RiB listed as being located in Lanarkshire
2) http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F216969 a Nautica Jet RiB listed as being a Private Seller, located in Surrey
3) http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F217168 an AB Inflatables 14VS listed as being a Private Seller, located in Berkshire
4) http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F214873 also an AB Inflatables 14VS listed as being a Private Seller, but this time supposedly located in Surrey, which is rather strange as though the picture is a different one from that shown on the previous item, when you look at the listing on Marine-Bay both photos are shown as being of the same boat!
5) http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F213575 a 2009 Seamor Marine RiB listed as being a Private Seller, located in Aberdeenshire
6) http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F215122 another (different) Seamor Marine RiB listed as being a Private Seller, located in Dorset.
7) http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F213666 using exactly the same photo as the previous item, albeit advertised for £900 more than item 6 and, miraculously, now located in Midlothian!

At this point I stopped looking as it was patently obvious that something smells very badly about these listings, and the fact that they are all listed with seemingly very low prices (to make them seem particularly attractive) only adds to that smell. Furthermore, when you look at many of the photos shown on the Marine-Bay site, it is obvious that they were not photographed anywhere in the UK, never mind Dorset, Surrey, Aberdeenshire, etc. I hate to think how many more of the RiBs, Jet Skis and other boats listed on Marine-Bay are also lurking on BoatsandOutboards.com and can only hope that nobody has been stupid enough to part with their cash as I doubt they'll ever receive the boat they 'ordered'.

Suffice to say I am now very dubious of even enquiring about listings on your site. And that's a real shame because, until discovering this apparent con, I felt you offered the best selection of RiB adverts in the UK.

Of course, I may be completely wrong and Marine-Bay could be a totally legitimate company (sorry, Private Seller) with many happy customers who've purchased on the strength of their adverts on your site. If so, I'm very pleased for them - but I shall not be joining them as I was always taught that if something appears to be too good to be true, then it almost certainly is too good to be true!

Kind regards

NSS
Old 05 September 2013, 19:45   #29

Town: Panama City
Boat name: None
Make: None
Engine: None
purchase safety on e-bay....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
They aren't.

They'll only cancel if someone else tells them it's a scam.
The e-bay site says that purchases are protected up to 50,000 is that not so? Is there a safer way to buy on e-bay without checking the boat first?
Old 05 September 2013, 19:50   #30

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertriton View Post
The e-bay site says that purchases are protected up to 50,000 is that not so? Is there a safer way to buy on e-bay without checking the boat first?
Vehicles are specifically exempt from Ebay and Paypal protection.
Old 05 September 2013, 19:58   #31

Town: Plymouth
On B/O if its private add with only one picture, or has the ref FAD forget it, don't even bother enquiring as they then spam your email.

Incase there's any confusion were boatsandoutboards4SALE - nothing to do with the site!
Old 05 September 2013, 20:01   #32
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertriton View Post
Yep. Don't pay before you see it.

Old 05 September 2013, 20:16   #33

Town: Panama City
Boat name: None
Make: None
Engine: None
E-bay in the US have this posted regarding vehicle protectionincluding boats...

eBay Motors - Purchase Protection - Overview
Old 05 September 2013, 22:36   #34

This thread is 3 years old...
Old 05 September 2013, 22:50   #35
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehguy View Post
This thread is 3 years old...
Yes, but the points made are still valid. It's one of the few times I won't say