Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 05 December 2005, 18:16   #51
Member
 
Richard B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee
we... are in the process of setting up a webcam so that customers can see thier boat being built!
Hey Cookee, I hope your boys work as fast as Graham's!
http://www.scorpionribs.com/SCORPION%20web.mov

(right-click and "Save Target As..." works best for me, and you will need Quick-Time)
__________________

Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 December 2005, 22:08   #52
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Fuller
There's a large picton rib at a marina in southampton, and when they pick it up in the slings, the hull distorts at the flange/chine where the weight is taken! and I don't mean a little bit!..it's a shocking site!

It hangs in the slings like a fkkn jelly!
Maybe it's supposed to??? Never seen stress cracks in a jelly.....
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2005, 03:05   #53
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Smith
.. after every thirty SLs are bulit one is taken off the line and checked if its not up to the mark it goes back to the start. .
Pity they don't do the same with the SLKs ....or my (ex ) wife's must have been no. 29.......
__________________
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2005, 04:09   #54
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Smith
only 2 RIB makers i know encourage you to see your boat at differance stages of build Picton Cobra and Scorpion.
You can add BananaShark to that! Plus access to our webcam and stage photos to keep! Did I mention the hull waranty as well?
__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2005, 04:46   #55
Member
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,882
Ospreys are happy for you to visit them to look at build and discuss layout, will have photos of the build as well
__________________
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2005, 05:14   #56
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee
You can add BananaShark to that! Plus access to our webcam and stage photos to keep! Did I mention the hull waranty as well?
You can go into Redbay at any time to see the boats getting built
Andy
__________________
Hard or Soft it's never BIG enough
Andy Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2005, 05:53   #57
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Maybe it's supposed to??? Never seen stress cracks in a jelly.....
Maybe, but that approach to structures requires a lot of uniformity in 'jellyness' tween structures, deck and hull skin, otherwise bits will get 'torn' from other bits when the distorting takes place.
I'm not sure it looked as calculated as that tho', and I definitely wouldn't wanna go fast in one, cos a good n proper high speed stuff would put it all to the test.
__________________
Jonny Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2005, 06:25   #58
Member
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Maybe it's supposed to??? Never seen stress cracks in a jelly.....
but would a jelly make a good fast hull...dont think so
i would have thought you need the boat to be as stiff as possible to have the best performance.......or am i wrong
__________________
Hugh Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2005, 06:56   #59
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
i would have thought you need the boat to be as stiff as possible to have the best performance.......or am i wrong
For sure, but i think what codders was getting at is, all structures have a certain amount of give/flex built in to them, other wise they'd be brittle, and a total failure could be possible.

Also, a calculated amount of flex can make a high performance boat handle better, by absorbing some of the vertical loadings.

In the highly competitive sport of OCR, Steve found it possible to build slightly quicker boats (top speed) by stiffening the running surface with more balsa core thickness etc, but they bacame harder to control in anything but flat racing conditions, because all the energy of clouting waves at 75mph was transmitted into launching the boat, rather than being absorbed by the semi flexible structure, kinda like suspension.

There's a lot more to building competitive race boats than meets the eye.
__________________
Jonny Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2005, 07:38   #60
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Fuller
For sure, but i think what codders was getting at is, all structures have a certain amount of give/flex built in to them, other wise they'd be brittle, and a total failure could be possible.

Also, a calculated amount of flex can make a high performance boat handle better, by absorbing some of the vertical loadings.

In the highly competitive sport of OCR, Steve found it possible to build slightly quicker boats (top speed) by stiffening the running surface with more balsa core thickness etc, but they bacame harder to control in anything but flat racing conditions, because all the energy of clouting waves at 75mph was transmitted into launching the boat, rather than being absorbed by the semi flexible structure, kinda like suspension.

There's a lot more to building competitive race boats than meets the eye.

Bloody hell - AT LAST people are starting to get my drift.....
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.