Old 04 July 2014, 13:07   #1

Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Marker bouys

So without going mad but without annoying other boat users what marker bouy would you recommend I buy for single lobster pot set .
They seem to vary from £11.00 up to the silly . I will also have to pay for delivery as there don't appear to be many shops selling them near derbyshire !!

As previously said will be using them near the coast from jura and mull so I think the all singing ones with flags may be a bit of an overkill

Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
Old 04 July 2014, 13:21   #2

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Marker bouys

I use green 9" single eye poly bouys on my pots

The reason I use green is nobody else uses green around here so its easy spotted should it move.
Old 04 July 2014, 13:23   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
I use green 9" single eye poly bouys on my pots

The reason I use green is nobody else uses green around here so its easy spotted should it move.

Cheers
I will have a loo on line good idea using a rare colour

Old 04 July 2014, 13:46   #4

Town: Caernarfon
Boat name: Bay Bar Dos
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 130
MMSI: 235092178
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedonna View Post
So without going mad but without annoying other boat users what marker bouy would you recommend I buy for single lobster pot set .
They seem to vary from £11.00 up to the silly . I will also have to pay for delivery as there don't appear to be many shops selling them near derbyshire !!

As previously said will be using them near the coast from jura and mull so I think the all singing ones with flags may be a bit of an overkill

The problem with only putting one lobster pot down is that it generally gets moved by the tide as there is not much weight to 'anchor' it to the spot that you leave it in. Green is not an easily recognisable colour either, better to have something bright
Old 04 July 2014, 13:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by telcowilliam View Post
The problem with only putting one lobster pot down is that it generally gets moved by the tide as there is not much weight to 'anchor' it to the spot that you leave it in. Green is not an easily recognisable colour either, better to have something bright

I have got more than one but assumed that there was not much point in having two next to each other . Also thought whilst learning if I suffered a loss it would only be one .

I have two lobsters and two creel so would it be worth setting two say one of each type ?

Old 04 July 2014, 14:06   #6

Town: Caernarfon
Boat name: Bay Bar Dos
Make: Tornado
Engine: Honda 130
MMSI: 235092178
Quote:
I have got more than one but assumed that there was not much point in having two next to each other . Also thought whilst learning if I suffered a loss it would only be one .

I have two lobsters and two creel so would it be worth setting two say one of each type ?

If you only put one down it isnt normally heavy enough to stay in the same place, I normally put them down in threes, with rope tied to each pot, at least the depth of the water apart, this way you are not pulling up two pots at the same time. It dowsnt matter really, lobster or creel, around the north wales coast at the minute we are getting loads of spider crabs and we are using salted down rotten dogfish for bait
Old 04 July 2014, 14:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by telcowilliam View Post
If you only put one down it isnt normally heavy enough to stay in the same place, I normally put them down in threes, with rope tied to each pot, at least the depth of the water apart, this way you are not pulling up two pots at the same time. It dowsnt matter really, lobster or creel, around the north wales coast at the minute we are getting loads of spider crabs and we are using salted down rotten dogfish for bait

As a non fisherman I will be mostly using mackerel as that's all i can catch . Anything edible in the pots will be a bonus . From other threads I have read I thought male lobsters were territorial but then do I know

Old 04 July 2014, 14:21   #8

M chapelow
I am struggling to send a pm at the moment will be in touch when sorted

Old 04 July 2014, 15:17   #9

Town: Stranraer
Make: No Boat now
Length: no boat
We pulled a loose 12" fluorescent buoy out of the Irish Sea and it was visible from 2 or 3 miles. Easy to find.
Old 04 July 2014, 16:20   #10

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Most of them around here are containers ranging in size and color from 5 / 10 litre.

Footballs in nets tied on are common as is a big lump of polystyrene with a bamboo cane in.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2014, 16:45   #11

Town: south west
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
Most of them around here are containers ranging in size and color from 5 / 10 litre.

Footballs in nets tied on are common as is a big lump of polystyrene with a bamboo cane in.
just what i was going to say
alot of the comercial guys round here use 10 ltr containers simply sealed shut with sealant and used as they come - cheap foot bals in a net etc
one thing behind this is that they know when someone puts down some rec pots with a bright - posh marker and either pull it or cut it off simply because alot have had to earn there spots and dont like someone else comming in
otherwise keep out of the way of where the comercial guys drop thers and away from where the scalopers - trawlers go they use them as targets and like to go right through them
i dont know if you have cirtain protected areas your way but i got pulled for putting some just in a protected area last year even tho i thaught i was out side the area [quick please move them 100ft from the mod boat ]
otherwise over night is bets and you will be amased what you will get and have fun with the congers
Old 04 July 2014, 16:46   #12

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
A lot of guys here use pool noodles (the closed cell foam sticks kids play with) cut down to about a foot or a foot and a half. Choice of colors, and cheap.

I find it easier to put 2 floats on floating line with a 2 or 3 foot gap between. Makes it simple to snag the line with a boat hook.

jky
Old 04 July 2014, 17:14   #13

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Good advice above re. containers/ noodles etc. but if your after shiny new buoys in Derbyshire might be worth having a look at Boatworld in Chesterfield.

http://www.boatworld.co.uk/advanced_...&x=-918&y=-126
Old 04 July 2014, 19:09   #14

Thanks for all comments I am down in padstow at moment (without the boat ) and been looking at local set ups . The football in a net is surprisingly commen . I think comments on my previous thread has made me nervous of a home made bouys that no one can see but it seems daft paying out good money when I can make do .

Old 04 July 2014, 19:12   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Good advice above re. containers/ noodles etc. but if your after shiny new buoys in Derbyshire might be worth having a look at Boatworld in Chesterfield.

http://www.boatworld.co.uk/advanced_...&x=-918&y=-126

Only twenty minutes from chesterfield didn't know it existed . Good to know even if I don't buy the bouys .
Cheers

Old 04 July 2014, 19:28   #16

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by stigoftd View Post
...... and have fun with the congers
Conger is very good eating & much underrated
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2014, 19:31   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Conger is very good eating & much underrated

Now I don't know you guys but I seem to remember you and your dry sense of humour on previous threads , so I guess your taking the p**s in the hope of me actually trying to kill and cook one !!!

Old 04 July 2014, 19:40   #18

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Now I don't know you guys but I seem to remember you and your dry sense of humour on previous threads , so I guess your taking the p**s in the hope of me actually trying to kill and cook one !!!

Oi! I might take the p1ss out of all & sundry, but food is serious stuff. Conger is vv good when fresh. Take the solid middle section out of the fish, look at the end & you'll see the spine which is cross shaped. Take off the fillets on the 4 sides of the spine & you end up with long pieces of solid white meaty fish. Cut it into slices about 3/4" thick & you have round medallions. Dip in beaten egg & then flour & shallow fry in butter. Don't over cook, serve with a squeeze of lemon & a good grind of black pepper & sea salt. Enjoy on a Normandy campsite overlooking Omaha beach, with good bread & chilled Normandy farmhouse cider, easy Killing the buggers is a different matter
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2014, 19:44   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Oi! I might take the p1ss out of all & sundry, but food is serious stuff. Conger is vv good when fresh. Take the solid middle section out of the fish, look at the end & you'll see the spine which is cross shaped. Take off the fillets on the 4 sides of the spine & you end up with long pieces of solid white meaty fish. Cut it into slices about 3/4" thick & you have round medallions. Dip in beaten egg & then flour & shallow fry in butter. Don't over cook, serve with a squeeze of lemon & a good grind of black pepper & sea salt. Enjoy on a Normandy campsite overlooking Omaha beach, with good bread & chilled Normandy farmhouse cider, easy Killing the buggers is a different matter

Okay if you are your good at it . Don't like killing things unless they are rats eating my chicken feed or food for me , in which case I am sure I will find a way . Cross that bridge when i need to . Still prefer killing a lobster or crab though

Old 04 July 2014, 19:53   #20

Length: 3m +
I'd want a flag on it...

So a weight on the end of a pole with a float 2/3rd of way down and a flag on top.

Bamboo seems very flexible and easy to snap.

I've seen a £1 bucket with pole shoved through it and filled with expanding foam used to effect. B &q buckets are orange. You could use a length of white sink drain pipe as the pole...