Old 08 July 2014, 16:24   #41

Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
The link rope between pots - the advice is length > depth of water. That is so you are only hauling 1 pot at a time.

But remember that your rope will float. so if you are in 20ft of water (20ft riser at high water) then when you troll/drift to where you are going to drop the next pot the rope will be at an angle. So lets assume you make that rope 30ft then using pythagoras 30x30 = 20x20 + distance from first x distance from first. So thats 22ft from the first. When settled on the bottom there will be 8ft of rope spare. if that takes a 4 shape you have two right angle triangles 11ftx11ft + depthxdepth = 15ft x 15ft. So at a water depth of 10ft the rope will be on the surface. If you are working on an engine / keel clearance of say 4ft then the rope may be floating at strike height when the water depth is 14ft... 14ft feels deep enough that other boats wouldn't be scared to be there...

I think I'd put a little weight in the link rope too.

Fuse wire from my experience removes fingers!

Hmmm I think I know which one you were in my class at school .

My thoughts now are that I need to know what depth I will be dropping the pots in before I set them up , then I need to use the rope in a way that means I can alter it next time . I thought at first I would set the pot to pot rope up as a one off but clearly not as it will alter . So if I use weights on the pot to pot rope they will need to be movable .

I am thinking one length of rope through all three pots . So it's reusable next time , if that makes sense

Sent from my iPad using RIB Net

Old 08 July 2014, 16:31   #42

Town: Fort William
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F80
RIBase
Marker bouys

Being pots I would rig and set them individually, that way you can cover a wider area and pinpoint certain patches/ledges etc, you also don't have coils and coils of rope on board.

Old 08 July 2014, 16:35   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
Being pots I would rig and set them individually, that way you can cover a wider area and pinpoint certain patches/ledges etc, you also don't have coils and coils of rope on board.

That was my original idea but feedback suggested a line of three to stop them moving with the tide . My thoughts were spread the traps more chance .

Old 08 July 2014, 16:39   #44

RIBase
Marker bouys

I've had pots move a few metres, maybe 50 at most but that was my fault as rope was too short and the bouy took the weight of pot.

Give them enough rope and a little weight and they'll be fine, unless you are setting them in a tidal rip. lobster pots are generally set close in and in little coves and bays.
Old 08 July 2014, 16:50   #45

Quote:
I've had pots move a few metres, maybe 50 at most but that was my fault as rope was too short and the bouy took the weight of pot.

Give them enough rope and a little weight and they'll be fine, unless you are setting them in a tidal rip. lobster pots are generally set close in and in little coves and bays.

I know it must vary a lot but what sort of depth do you set the pots at

Old 08 July 2014, 16:54   #46

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
For Dungeness crab, we use about 8 lbs of lead per pot ("pot" in this case is a wire mesh box about 30" on a side, and 10 or 12" deep.)

Not sure what kind of water you're working; in Monterey we work the 250' (+/- 50 feet) line, no tidal influences, but can get pretty strong currents, winds and swell. The only time I've had my pot moved was when someone stole the contents.

jky
Old 08 July 2014, 16:54   #47

RIBase
Marker bouys

Some pots could almost be lifted at low tide, some are in 10/15m

Creels are generally in 25-32m

These depth are because of the type of water around here.

Salted mackerel will stop the crabs eating the bait before the lobster or prawns get in.
Old 08 July 2014, 17:00   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
For Dungeness crab, we use about 8 lbs of lead per pot ("pot" in this case is a wire mesh box about 30" on a side, and 10 or 12" deep.)

Not sure what kind of water you're working; in Monterey we work the 250' (+/- 50 feet) line, no tidal influences, but can get pretty strong currents, winds and swell. The only time I've had my pot moved was when someone stole the contents.

jky

Thanks but I think it's I different kettle of fish !

Old 08 July 2014, 17:04   #49

Quote:
Some pots could almost be lifted at low tide, some are in 10/15m

Creels are generally in 25-32m

These depth are because of the type of water around here.

Salted mackerel will stop the crabs eating the bait before the lobster or prawns get in.

Okay yes that feels more on the lines I was thinking . Even more reason to set my creel pots separate from lobster pots .

Can you write me a note to the wife I now need to have more bouys

Old 08 July 2014, 17:10   #50

RIBase
When we went round Jura one of my thoughts was that I wouldn't mind setting a pot or two along that coast, it looks perfect.

The sound of Mull has a lot of Skate in it, you generally find Skate and Prawns on the same ground, they both like a muddy bottom. Unfortunately for you it's VERY deep. Not something you would attack without a hauler.