Old 28 September 2005, 07:42   #1

Town: Portsmouth Harbour
Length: no boat
Marine BioDiesel

stumbled across this on the net and thought it mite be of use to some people with diesel engines.
http://biodieselnow.com/
http://forums.biodieselnow.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=9

Davies Coaching
laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2005, 12:18   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I actually believe they are MORE polluting than normal diesel - also more expensive!!! Remember the MAIN reason fuel is so expensive is TAX - get rid of the tax and we would be paying something like 32p per litre at the pumps!!!
Old 28 September 2005, 15:07   #3

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
I used 100% biodiesel as the exclusive fuel during a 2-year, 35,000 mile circumnavigation of the world in a 24' Zodiac Hurricane about 10 years ago. It worked great and I had no technical or performance problems with it whatsoever. It's far less polluting for the air and water, and is a pleasure to use because diesel smell is eliminated entirely. I would recommend it highly over petroleum diesel in any application.
Bryan
Old 28 September 2005, 15:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrider
I used 100% biodiesel as the exclusive fuel during a 2-year, 35,000 mile circumnavigation of the world in a 24' Zodiac Hurricane about 10 years ago. It worked great and I had no technical or performance problems with it whatsoever. It's far less polluting for the air and water, and is a pleasure to use because diesel smell is eliminated entirely. I would recommend it highly over petroleum diesel in any application.
Bryan
But it puts out more particulates and more NoX so how can you say it is far less polluting???

A friend of mine suffers from bad Asthma and he was far worse when he caught a whiff of the exhaust from a vehicle running on bio stuff!!!

Awesome trip though - any links???
Old 28 September 2005, 20:14   #5

Town: Borders
Boat name: Pacific 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mermaid diesel
biodiesel

Cut from above link :

Are there any negatives?
Of course. There is no perfect fuel.
1) Primarily that it's not readily available in much of the nation, YET (click here for a map of locations). Consumption jumped from 500,000 gallons in 2000 to 15 million gallons in 2001, so hopefully availability will change soon. 2) Biodiesel will clean your injectors and fuel lines. If you have an old diesel vehicle, there's a chance that your first tank or two of BD could free up all the accumulated crud and clog your fuel filter. 3) It has a higher gel point. B100 (100% biodiesel) gets slushy a little under 32°F. But B20 (20% biodiesel, 80% regular diesel - more commonly available than B100) has a gel point of -15°F. Like regular diesel, the gel point can be lowered further with additives such as kerosene (blended into winter diesel in cold-weather areas). 4) Old vehicles (older than mid-90s) might require upgrades of fuel lines (a cheap, easy upgrade), as BD can eat through certain types of rubber. Almost all new vehicles should have no problem with BD. 5) Finally, the one emission that goes up with biodiesel is NOx. NOx contributes to smog. We feel that a slight increase (up to 15%) in NOx is greatly offset by the reduction in all other emissions and the major reduction in greenhouse gasses.

Im really interested in this stuff, and am thinking about making it properly in my workshop. Really just for fun initially. I have run my P22 on it and another boat with a yamaha 420 sti. There is slightly more power plus the smell (smoke and when you spill it) plus it isnt nearly as messy / slippery as normal diesel.

Of course the main difference is that the stuff grows in fields, and i cant understand why it hasnt become more popular. It has a lower tax band but is more expensive to make so can end up the same price when bought at he pumps. However if you get the duty free version you score on price and eco friendly....
Old 28 September 2005, 20:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcastoff
1) Primarily that it's not readily available in much of the nation, YET (click here for a map of locations).
I've clicked an clicked and worn out me feckin' mouse but still no list of bio stations.
Old 29 September 2005, 18:45   #7

Town: Penzance
Boat name: Shearwater
Make: Halmatic
Engine: 440hp diesel jet
More polluting???

Fossil fuels are created from accessing carbon that was laid down millions of years a go. By burning these we are releasing gasses, which were absorbed over thousands/millions of years, back into the atmosphere over avery short perios of time. This is increasing the concentration of these gases enormously and thus affecting the life cycle of the palnet in a number of ways.
Biodiesel releases gases that were absorbed while the crop was growing and as they are fast growing means that the cycle of release and absorption is over a short perios of time.
Therefore pure biodiesel is the only real way to be truly carbon nuetral and is certainly not more polluting than standard deisel.
Duncan
Old 29 September 2005, 20:14   #8

Town: Portsmouth Harbour
can you use pure bio diesel in cars? and if so does anybody know where it can be obtained in the portsmouth area?

Davies Coaching
laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2005, 21:48   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Biodiesel

This link will point you to where to get it:

http://www.biodieselfillingstations.co.uk/outlets.htm

As for putting it in your car - try this:

http://www.biodieselfillingstations.co.uk/approvals.htm

Or make your own! :

http://www.greenfuels.co.uk/small.htm

- its roughly twice as expensive to to produce as mineral oil (traditional) based diesel before adding the tax.

Please note that road fuel duty is still payable on biodiesel if used in a road going vehicle. The rate of duty is about 28 p/L compared to standard low sulfur diesel 48 p/L (duty on full sulfur diesel is around 55 p/L). If its not used on the road then fuel duty on biodiesel is only about 3 p/L, compared to ~ 6 p/L for red diesel. Biofuel producers must register with HMCR and provide regular returns on production.

VAT is chargeable on biodiesel.
Old 29 September 2005, 21:57   #10

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Barbara B
Make: Senior
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 Perkins Inboard
Biodiesel, water and bug

Hi - want to say hello to everyone - a newbie to the site has arrived, D'oh

Biofuels are excellent, but be aware they will attract more water into them than mineral diesel, and therefore tend to offer an ideal place for diesel bug to grow - which will stop you dead at the worse possible time.

So make sure your tanks are well topped up to stop condensation as well.
(that goes for normal diesel as well)

Thanks

Leyton

Pro-Sport Ribs
SultanOfSoltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2005, 17:32   #11

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Bio fuel

I actually believe they are MORE polluting than normal diesel - also more expensive!!! Remember the MAIN reason fuel is so expensive is TAX - get rid of the tax and we would be paying something like 32p per litre at the pumps!!!

So now a renewable , carbon netural, vegetable based biofuel ,is more polluting than wait for it...........
A diesel fuel derived from a fossil fuel , heavily salted with chemicals in the refining process and one of the main contributing factors to global warming........

Am I missing something

Or is this just another pathetic attempt to have a go at government taxiation policy

Bio fuels

svo straight veg oil
wvo waste veg oil
bio diesel a diesel fuel pressed from, sunflower, rape seed, cocunut or or peanut oils ,with additives .

It is also possible to run your diesels on veg oil completly, with minor modifications, once the oil is at 70 deg it enters the pump and is similar to diesel in its properties and behaviour

veg oil produces zero carbon, it is carbon netural, usually enhances horsepower by 8-10 % and runs the engine quiter and smoother

smells a little doesnt cause asthma attacks,

For more truth abot this fuel and fill up points

http://www.dieselveg.com/

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2005, 22:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin

So now a renewable , carbon netural, vegetable based biofuel ,is more polluting than wait for it...........
A diesel fuel derived from a fossil fuel , heavily salted with chemicals in the refining process and one of the main contributing factors to global warming........

Am I missing something

Or is this just another pathetic attempt to have a go at government taxiation policy

Bio fuels

svo straight veg oil
wvo waste veg oil
bio diesel a diesel fuel pressed from, sunflower, rape seed, cocunut or or peanut oils ,with additives .

It is also possible to run your diesels on veg oil completly, with minor modifications, once the oil is at 70 deg it enters the pump and is similar to diesel in its properties and behaviour

veg oil produces zero carbon, it is carbon netural, usually enhances horsepower by 8-10 % and runs the engine quiter and smoother

smells a little doesnt cause asthma attacks,
"Heavily salted with chemicals in the refining process" they use some pretty nasty stuff to make biodiesel you know!!!!

I think the way the government treats bio diesel and SVO is really unfair!!! Would be cheap if it wasn't for the government - but then again so would normal fuels!!!

You don't seem to mention the natural habitats that would be destroyed for these cash crops!!!

Also here is an interesting quote

"But even 100 percent biodiesel vehicles don’t burn as cleanly as those powered by gasoline, said Jeff Kimes, an environmental engineer with the EPA.
On average, passenger cars fueled with petroleum-based diesel emit 30 times more particulates than gasoline-fueled cars. Switching to biodiesel cuts those particulates in half, but that’s still 15 times more than a gasoline-powered car, Kimes said"

I am NOT against bio diesel - would use it myself IF it was cheaper than normal fuel - just remember - as with catalysts - a lot of the lobbiests have their own personal interests at heart!!!