Old 17 June 2003, 15:09   #1
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Marina/Moorings in Salcombe

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is a harbour/marina/moorings where I could keep my RIB afloat in Salcombe.

I figured it would be quicker and more intresting to head from Southampton to Salcombe by boat rather than by car.

Cheers,
Daniel
Old 17 June 2003, 15:30   #2

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Daniel,

No marina in Salcombe - lots of swinging moorings though.

Nearest marina would be in Dartmouth.

It's also a bl**dy long way from S'ton to Salcombe and not many fuelling stops after Weymouth (which, I think has to be done by cans from the local garage)

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2003, 17:01   #3

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Salcombe Harbourmaster on 01548 843791 may be able to help. As Ribald says, mostly swiging moorings (good water taxi available though). I can arrange to lend you a quayside drying mud mooring if you want, but it'll be messy!! Alternatively, if you want to use the same mooring at high tide only, let me know. Could be handy if you want to visit Kingsbridge.

BTW - what's the range of your RIB? I notice you're planning some long range cruises this summer.
Old 17 June 2003, 18:47   #4
DJL

Richard, thanks for the offer of the mooring. A swinging mooring looks like the way to go - I’m still a bit protective about scratching the hull. I will give the harbour master a ring and see what he suggests.

As it happens I would be coming back from Salcombe the day before the Deauville cruise - I’m starting to wonder if I can endure the 100nm coming back from Salcombe and then the run over to France.

On the range side of things I carry 87L of petrol which if I go easy will get me about 170nm, but on average I get 150nm.

Peter, how’s the water skiing coming?

Cheers,
Daniel
Old 17 June 2003, 19:02   #5

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Try calling Charlie Yeoward at Yeoward and Stone on 01548 844261, Winters Marine on 01548 843838, but if it's only for the weekend then you can just arrive and the harbour will find you somewhere to moor. The visitors pontoons are around the corner from the town and are more sheltered in rough weather. There is a water taxi run by the harbour office but it doesn't run all night so you have to leave the pub on time!

Any other questions PM me your number and I'll give you a call if you want. I can recomend pubs and restaurants and stuff for you as well!

Website has info as well: http://www.salcombeinformation.co.uk/

Have a good trip and maybe meet you for a beer when you come down?

Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2003, 22:35   #6

Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
Hi Daniel,

I booked us into the Bolt Head Hotel for the Jubilee weekend last June and persuaded Mrs Whiteshoes that she should take the dog, while the kids & I went down in our Ribtec 585 with the F115 Yamaha. Unfortunately Mrs W categorically refused (along with some of her other marital obligations !) to tow the empty trailer, so we found somebody locally who would provide us with a trailer and storage in a barn for the 3 days before we went back (Dave Penwell - local american franchise agent & decent bloke)

However, if you are planning to do the trip and "dump" your boat for a few days, I think you might be better leaving Bumblebee at the Lincombe boat yard. Only real problem is it's a hike into town and you would need a taxi or someone to give you a lift.

From memory, as Mrs W has "tidied" my old log book away, it was approx 110 miles from Warsash and we used 93 litres of fuel. There was an uncomfortable SE 4-5, which flattened out a bit after Portland, but it did take us considerably longer than anticipated, 5 1/2 hours ish.

I felt like I had been in a boxing match the following day, salt still stinging my eyes, face burnt etc, and then I had to endure England's opening World Cup game against Sweden.....!

Came back in near perfect conditions, but half way across Lyme Bay, it was very easy to turn Portland into IOW.

Send me a PM if you want any telephone numbers.

Brian
Old 18 June 2003, 11:45   #7

Town: Upavon, Wiltshire
Boat name: Dromedary
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.55
Engine: Honda 130
Hi

Panther & Dromedary have just spent 3 days in Dartmouth and we went doown to Salcome on the Sat. (good lumps off Start Point) and we asked the Harbour master and he let us use a mooring for the afternoon. If you want to leave your RIB in Dartmouth you may be able to talk to the Ros Nova as if you stay onboard you could more alongside.

Regards

John

There are some pics on Jools' web site WWW.RIBPANTHER.CO.UK I have not had time to put mine up yet.
Old 18 June 2003, 13:38   #8

Town: Dartmouth
Mooring

I have access to a mooring in Dartmouth, 'may be able to sort something out if interested
Old 18 June 2003, 14:06   #9

Town: Oxford
Make: Ribtec, Ballistic, C
Engine: 40hp 4 strokes - twi
Hi I work for the Harbour sometimes when they are busy.

Their are loads of swinging morings and some space on the visiters pontoon. Worth contacting the duty boat man as you come in to the harbour. They will be able to put you in the best position for yuor boat. THeir are oftern loacal berths free which can be used if you ask.

Call the harbour launch on channel 14 they run from 6am till gone 9pm
Harbour dues cost £1.40 per M Per night. You can get a week which is cheeper cant remember the prices though

The water tax runs from 8 am (if you want it befor then it is the harbour lanch) till 11:30 pm. When it is busy their are 2 or 3 running it costs £1 each way from off the town and £1.50 each way from the bag or Frogmoor lake or Southpool. If you want a Taxi at anyother time Ie 4am they have to be booked and will cost you alot. Cant remember how much but alot!

The water taxi is on channel 12

Their is a fuel barge in the harbour that sells both deisel and unleaded and 2 stroke oil at £5 per leter I think they are open till 5.30 pm or it might be 5.00pm cant remember. The yacht club offers showers and the pontoon water.
The Harbour is very friendly and can not be beeten in terms of a place to visit.

remember taxi on channel 12

Harbour on channel 14
Old 20 June 2003, 17:16   #10
DJL

Hi all,

Thanks for all the information.

I rang Salcombe Harbour master yesterday and they only have one drying mooring left for the week i'm down there, everything is really booked up. It looks like towing might be the better idea, although that ends up being expensive with the launching and harbour fees coming to £70.

Thanks again,
Daniel
Old 20 June 2003, 18:06   #11

Town: Portsmouth
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yamaha HPDI 200
Send a message via MSN to thorper
Daniel

What dates are you planning to do the salcombe run? Am working away until the beginning of july, so want to get a good run in on the boat soon after getting back. I visited salcombe last august for some diving and had a really good laugh down there.

Ricky