Old 11 March 2002, 21:58   #1

Town: London
Marina in Dorset/Hampshire

Hello

Does anyone know of a marina/boat park on the South Coast preferably in Dorset or Hampshire where I can keep a RIB out of water but can easily launch when I go there.

I know there is a good one in Poole where they lift your boat into the water when you arrive but there is a waiting list and it's quite expensive (£200 per metre per year).

Thanks for any advice.

Nigel
Old 11 March 2002, 22:15   #2

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Calshot Activities Centre

Hi Nigel,

All dryberthing on the South Coast like anything else on the South Coast tends to cost a small fortune! One option I've explored in the past is Calshot Activities Centre. Run by Hants CC at the old Flying boat base. Great place to launch, wide slip lots of parking not too many onlookers! Good facilities - shower, bar, loos etc. A few years ago when we checked costs were ridculously cheap something like £350 for 6 months or so. (thats per boat not per metre!) Security was OK inasmuch as there is always someone on site but no locked compound. Just put a wheelclamp on each trailer wheel + a hitchlock and you should be OK

Cheers,
Alan
Old 12 March 2002, 07:22   #3

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Nigel

Sorry i didn't get chance to say bye at the weekend, I had to get a fuel line connector from Chas Nemans.

I take it your fed up of only having 2 hours boating eitherside of HW?

Anyway theres a guy on the south side of poole harbour (just over the ferry on the right) who's got brilliant slip and a tractor you can use or he will launch you - plenty of storage. However I dont have his name or number - i'll have a look around see if I can find it.
Old 12 March 2002, 07:51   #4

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
Nigel

Dont know if this will help you, but when we were looking or a place to keep Topaz we approached our local Marina. The cost to keep her on a berth there would have been some £600 per year.

However, on discussing with the owners they have a lot of space in the Summer when all (or most) of the boats are back in the water. They were happy to negotiate for a RIB to be parked on a trailer, with easy access for me to collect and drop off, and are charging me £140 for the year.

No doubt the South Coast will be more expensive, but if you try to negotiate just storage of a RIB on a trailer and you do the rest (launch, recover, clean etc) they may be more flexible.

Graeme
Old 12 March 2002, 11:33   #5

Town: Surrey
Make: Raider
Length: 6.5
Engine: Mariner 115 4/Stroke
South Side of Poole Harbour

The place Jono might be thinking of could be ShellBay Marine?

They are located just after the chain ferry, on the right as you are heading from Sandbanks to the Studland/Swanage direction.

Shell Bay Marine Ltd
Ferry Rd Studland
Swanage Dorset BH19 3BA
Tel: 01929 450340

I had considered putting my boat there before but when I was looking about a year ago they were full. Although they contact me a few weeks ago as they had some space available for this year? Sorry, I can't remember what the tidal window is.

Perhap the only other comment I would make is that in the summer queues for the chain ferry can be horrendous and it is a long way round the road way from Poole (if you are coming from London).

ChrisD.
Old 12 March 2002, 19:17   #6

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Thats the place.... Cheers
Old 26 March 2002, 10:38   #7

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
If the Calshiot Activity centre doesn't work out try Merlin Quay in Southampton. IF your interested I'll dig out the number I think it works out at around a a hundred a month.

regards