Old 18 May 2019, 19:11   #1

Length: 7m +
Marina hose pipe ban

Anyone else had all the hoses at their marina taken away recently ? Apparently some issue with ecoli and health and safety so now we have to bring our own hose to wash boat down.

If you aks me it is so stupid, as the marina hoses would be used far more than an individuals hose, so there is now much more chance of ecoli growing in my hose in the boat than the nicely coiled hoses along the pontoons at the marina.

Anyone else had this happen ?

expect they will remove the moaring cleats next due to health and safety as a trip hazzard.

Anyone know any stats regarding ecoli infections from the use of hoses in marina's ?
Old 18 May 2019, 19:17   #2

Boat name: Bluefin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post

Anyone know any stats regarding ecoli infections from the use of hoses in marina's ?

I suspect not a lot, but as far as the Marina insurers are concerned, I guess one is too many ......
Old 18 May 2019, 21:12   #3

Town: London
Length: no boat
Quote:
Anyone else had all the hoses at their marina taken away recently ? Apparently some issue with ecoli and health and safety so now we have to bring our own hose to wash boat down.

If you aks me it is so stupid, as the marina hoses would be used far more than an individuals hose, so there is now much more chance of ecoli growing in my hose in the boat than the nicely coiled hoses along the pontoons at the marina.

Anyone else had this happen ?

expect they will remove the moaring cleats next due to health and safety as a trip hazzard.

It’s probably down to a water hygiene plan in accordance with ACOP L08 . It’s an at work situation so they have a duty of care to ensure risks by them are minimised . Yes it is crazy but for a very good reason .
Old 18 May 2019, 21:39   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
If it’s ecoli risk then the concern is maybe about stupid people putting it in the waste tank by mistake, contaminating the hose and not telling anyone. If you do that not it’s your hose so only you that gets sick. A canal boat I hired recently was very clear about not mixing up water and waste caps.
Old 19 May 2019, 00:06   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Poly is right - but it's even simpler when you think about it. A hose lying around gets dragged around the pontoons, dunked in wash buckets, walked on etc. Seagull crap is everywhere and the hose ends will get contaminated. Some moisture and warmth later..... some gadge dunks it in his potable water tank!
Old 19 May 2019, 05:39   #6

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
It is actually a good idea
Old 19 May 2019, 08:00   #7

Well to me its just another over precaustious nanny state issue, a few signs for those really dumb people should be sufficient along the lines of 'dont use this to fill your water tanks and dont drink from this supply' should be sufficient. it amazes me how dumb a few people are that inconvieniences the majority, but there again so many people don't use a kill cord and don't wear a life jacket so I guess thats how it is.

I also have an issue with the argument of the standing water in the hose pipe, the marina hoses on the pontoons will be getting lots of use, a person with their own hose in their boat well that hose wont be getting much use so there is more chance of ecoli developing in the individuals hose rather than the hoses on the pontoons.

Marina's are full of hazzards, I bet 50 times more people are injured in a marina each year from just slipping or tripping up than any ecoli issue from a hose pipe.

Frustrating as I now have to carry a hose on my boat so I can quickly wash it down after use (to help get rid of salt as that eats my boat).
Old 19 May 2019, 08:13   #8

Quote:
Well to me its just another over precaustious nanny state issue, a few signs for those really dumb people should be sufficient along the lines of 'dont use this to fill your water tanks and dont drink from this supply' should be sufficient. it amazes me how dumb a few people are that inconvieniences the majority, but there again so many people don't use a kill cord and don't wear a life jacket so I guess thats how it is.

I also have an issue with the argument of the standing water in the hose pipe, the marina hoses on the pontoons will be getting lots of use, a person with their own hose in their boat well that hose wont be getting much use so there is more chance of ecoli developing in the individuals hose rather than the hoses on the pontoons.

Marina's are full of hazzards, I bet 50 times more people are injured in a marina each year from just slipping or tripping up than any ecoli issue from a hose pipe.

Frustrating as I now have to carry a hose on my boat so I can quickly wash it down after use (to help get rid of salt as that eats my boat).

It’s not about personal risk . It’s about risk in an at work environment . If the marina supply anything it needs to reduce risk ALARP to meet various bits of legislation . Section 3 of HASAWetcA 1974 covers this quite succinctly , or do you think that service providers should just do what they want with no regard to safety ?

Why would you not have your own hose ? I know that it’s always going to be available in case the one at marina has been stolen

The slips n trips can be managed by regular maintenance of walkways and if marina isn’t doing that then there’s issues there.
Old 19 May 2019, 08:23   #9

Town: southampton
Make: Island RIBS / custom
Engine: inboard diesel
this Is what I use a dock box for, keep cleaning gear, hose pipe etc etc in lockable box on the pontoon, then the boat is less cluttered. Got the idea when working out in the US as they are everywhere over there...
Old 19 May 2019, 08:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by butty View Post
this Is what I use a dock box for, keep cleaning gear, hose pipe etc etc in lockable box on the pontoon, then the boat is less cluttered. Got the idea when working out in the US as they are everywhere over there...

That’s a great idea .

Wouldn’t work for those of us who move the boats around , I suppose the towing vehicle becomes a dock box then LOL
Old 19 May 2019, 08:48   #11

Town: southampton
Make: Island RIBS / custom
Engine: inboard diesel
If you are not in the Marina you will not be fussed about the hose pipes being removed.... :-)
Old 19 May 2019, 08:50   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by butty View Post
If you are not in the Marina you will not be fussed about the hose pipes being removed.... :-)

We still pull boats out of water at marina slipways .. as long as there’s a tap I am a happy bunny.
Old 19 May 2019, 08:57   #13

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Just get one of those expanding hoses for Amazon for £15 and keep it in a locker
Old 19 May 2019, 11:03   #14

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
Just get one of those expanding hoses for Amazon for £15 and keep it in a locker

Exactly what I’ve done for years
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 13:07   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I’ve always assumed their primary purpose WAS for filling tanks.

Quote:
I also have an issue with the argument of the standing water in the hose pipe, the marina hoses on the pontoons will be getting lots of use, a person with their own hose in their boat well that hose wont be getting much use so there is more chance of ecoli developing in the individuals hose rather than the hoses on the pontoons
but perhaps Erratic use?.

Quote:
probably a few tripping on badly stored pipes too!

Quote:
If you can afford to keep your boat in a marina you can surely afford a boat made from proper marine materials? Actually if this practice of pouring many litres of drinking water into the sea is common I wouldn’t be surprised if part of the motivation is to cut down on water use - they’ll presumably be on a meter so it costs them every time you turn the tap on.
Old 19 May 2019, 17:11   #16

Yachties have been on about this for ages.

All sorts of reasons - some don't even want a hose used - fill a bucket / can. No risk of back syphoning into other water systems.
Old 19 May 2019, 18:55   #17

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Yachties have been on about this for ages.

All sorts of reasons - some don't even want a hose used - fill a bucket / can. No risk of back syphoning into other water systems.
There shouldnt be any danger of back siphoning. Isnt it a requirement to have a none return valve at a standpipe tap? I'm sure it is for a garden tap on your house. If its not a requirement it is good practice
Old 19 May 2019, 19:25   #18

Town: Burwash, East Sussex
Make: Ribcraft 6.4 Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF150
My local marina blamed the water board.
Said their bylaws prevented them keeping hoses on the pontoons.
Since their pontoon feed it direct from the mains with no break tanks, a burst water main could cause a vacuum and suck the contents of any tank or marina itself into the water main.
Old 19 May 2019, 21:24   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
There shouldnt be any danger of back siphoning. Isnt it a requirement to have a none return valve at a standpipe tap? I'm sure it is for a garden tap on your house. If its not a requirement it is good practice
Wouldn't have been a requirement when installed. Cheaper to remove pipes than to install valves. Marina will often have multiple stand pipes so multiple cost
Old 19 May 2019, 21:32   #20

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Water supply regs came into force in 1999 requiring backflow prevention in the form of double check valves or break tanks. Surely most marinas will have upgraded since then.
Double Check valves are less than a couple of quid I'm sure a marina with 50 or 100 stand pipes could afford that to keep their customers smiling.