Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 02 December 2005, 20:45   #1

Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
Making your own tubes. Just curious

Has anyone made their own pair of inflatable tubes? Theoretically wouldn't you be able to disassemble your worn out tubes, cut new pieces and glue a new tubeset back together with new fabric? Of course this would be a slow and meticulous process but wouldn't it be like sewing or something that requires attention to detail and prep but otherwise not too difficult? I am aware proper knowledge of gluing hypalon would be required as well as good ventilation and a carbon filter mask. And where would you get the fabric priced low enough to warrant the effort? For example, my Avon sr4 would one day need new tubes. Getting a new tubeset would cost $6000 I imagine I could do it for less. No?
Old 02 December 2005, 22:49   #2

Town: Pacific NW
Make: zodiac pro 420
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tiller 25 yamaha
i just got my second quote for new tubes up in portland oregon for 6000 dollars. the first was for 5600 dollars from HBI. 14ft boat with channels. i'm gonna just patch the h*ll out of the old ones. would love to have some shipped in from UK where they appear far less expensive.
Old 03 December 2005, 08:30   #3

Well, after doing some searching on Google I can't find one source for hypalon fabric. I guess thats the biggest barrier. Unless a tube mfg would sell some by the roll. I think it would be really fun making a tubeset. Don't know how reliable it would be though
Old 03 December 2005, 09:25   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Toob Trader USA Inc.

I'd like to anounce my new export business I am selling toobs to Americans who pay to much for stuff.

Seriously guys those prices are Awful. I imagine they would be a quarter to a third of that price over here. Why not get a set made over here and shipped over.

Ribraff, Paul Tilley and Christopher are all members of this forum and in the Toob business I'd get some prices from them first. I shouldn't think shipping costs are more than 300 bucks

Hybalon Is made by Pennel or Orca remember you pay for what quality you get. I also believe that Avon make there own tube material (cos Pete 7.75 told me)
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 December 2005, 09:33   #5

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
i would sell you all of the materials and be happy to advise no problems at all.BUT the hard bit is copying the old tubes as they will have stretched and an exact copy may not work as well as you would expect , easiest method is to buy tubes already made and fit yourself .i would of course be very happy to quote
Old 03 December 2005, 09:58   #6

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
These guys out of BC also do tube repairs & replacements.

http://www.polarisboats.com/
Old 03 December 2005, 17:59   #7

Rogue Wave,
You never know you might be onto something there . You guys are definitely ahead of the curve on the US with ribs. The market here is simply not developed.

I never thought about having a pair of tubes shipped from the UK! That sounds like a perfect idea. I was feeling a bit adventurous but maybe I'll stick
to repairs. I plan on retubing my sr4 in a year or two. I'm not crazy about how tattered it looks. For now the toobs hold air just fine so I guess once that diminishes I'll get a pair. Thanks
Old 07 March 2006, 03:11   #8

Town: Annapolis MD
Length: 6m +
Leaky Bladders

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbiachop
i just got my second quote for new tubes up in portland oregon for 6000 dollars. the first was for 5600 dollars from HBI. 14ft boat with channels. i'm gonna just patch the h*ll out of the old ones. would love to have some shipped in from UK where they appear far less expensive.
So happens I have one of these 14.7 as well with leaky inner bladders. Maybe we could act together to get just bladders (just plastic cylinders) made of another material?? or some alternative??

At the moment I'm working on another RIB project:
Over the past few years I have been conceptionalizing a small RIB tender for the use on cruising sail and power vessels, and sportfishing vessels in particular. It would put emphasis on a number of enhanced features that I do not believe are adequately addressed in the current market. I had written in brief on a previous occasion:
1) I was searching for a short, wide, open-transom tender/dive/sport craft that could be carried on the front deck of a gamefishing catamaran of my design (preferable two such tenders). I was seeking a relatively small craft that comfortable could carry 4/5 persons with some dive and/or dive/fishing gear. Too many of the existing RIBs are too confining in their interior space, particularly with their big round tubes. I wanted two persons to be able to sit on the tubes directly across from one another, and yet still have the leg-room and passage room to clear a central straddle-seat that might house a jet-ski type power plant. That would necessitate a fairly wide craft with a central hull that could house the water-jet drive unit. A wide craft needing a central hull rules out the cat configuration. I could have a transom for its structural contribution, but it needs to be ‘open’ to allow for immediate evacuation of any water that might swamp it as a result of a large wave washing over the bow stowage area of the mothership. With width I could accommodate the people without excessive length, and thus keep the boat size small and light-weight for the continuous hoisting service it will experience.
It would have a central saddle seat that would cover an optional inboard jet-ski style engine in lieu of a traditional thief-prone outboard….also safer no-prop diving usage. Ultra light model in carbon fiber, traditional model in stamped ABS.

I made a trip to the Miami boat show this Feb 06, and I was disappointed again. As I look thru the market I’m not finding a RIB tender/sportboat that could be carried on deck, or in davits, that is really ‘self draining’. They all appear as a captive ‘tub’, that if flooded by a random wave would become a very heavy ‘big bucket’ of heavy water hanging from the davits or sitting on the foredeck. So I am seeking a virtually ‘transom-less design’, or at minimum a ‘framed-transom’ that would allow for very quick water egress.

I also find most of the smaller RIBs to be very confining and tight on the interior space as a result of the full diameter tubes utilized in their design. The actual width of the boats between the innermost tube sides is very confining with respect to allowing for two full size adults to sit across from one another, let alone a steering console, cooler etc. Then if you add in all of the ‘stylized’ seats for passengers, center console for driver, engine mountings and drains, etc,etc, you end up with very little interior volume to carry people, dive equip, etc, and all of those other items (food, supplies, bikes, etc) being transported to and from the shore. Remember, in the islands your tender becomes your car!!
Old 07 March 2006, 04:21   #9

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Re: tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatster_sr4
Well, after doing some searching on Google I can't find one source for hypalon fabric. I guess thats the biggest barrier. Unless a tube mfg would sell some by the roll. I think it would be really fun making a tubeset. Don't know how reliable it would be though
You might take a look at this company (dibboats.com). they are in Friendsville Maryland. The tubeset on my boat was built by them. I took my sponsons out to them for some work and had a chance to look around a bit. They do a lot of industrial commercial work and the sponsons they build look real good. The biggest set of sponsons I have ever seen were at their plant. Chest high, sitting on the floor! They vulcanize the sponsons they build in an oven, this is a little different than most builders. Seems they are pretty busy right now but you might be able to get a quote on a new set for your boat just to see. I believe they offer different grades of material (weight) and colors, thought you might be interested. There are excellent builders in the U.K. but you might get killed on the exchange , dollar for pound on a import. Anyone out there have any experience in this arena?
Old 08 March 2006, 16:59   #10

Town: Annapolis MD
Length: 6m +
tubes

Thank you Pathalla,
I do know of this fellow, and he is reasonable close to me. I sent him an Email the other day and will probably visit him soon. I think he builds primarily in PU, or at least did.

How does this Forum Work??

I belong to several other boat design forums, and when you make a posting to an existing thread subject that message gets eMailed out to all persons that have contributed to that subject matter within that subject thread. That way they are made aware of a new contribution to the subject matter at hand.

Additionally, that subject thread is now moved to the top of the list of threads to indicate 'activity' on the forum.

Even though the format of this RibNet forum appears to use the same software, it does not appear to include these features?? Now I must admit that I am not the most knowledgable computer person (just the opposite) out there, but it appears as though these features would make this forum more usefull than just a list of new subjects all of the time??

Reference:
<http://www.boatdesign.net/>
<http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/index.php>

Brian Eiland
<www.RunningTideYachts.com>
Old 08 March 2006, 17:36   #11

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
RIBnet does all of that. Fiddle around in the User CP area.....
Old 08 March 2006, 18:19   #12

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland
I belong to several other boat design forums, and when you make a posting to an existing thread subject that message gets eMailed out to all persons that have contributed to that subject matter within that subject thread. That way they are made aware of a new contribution to the subject matter at hand.
Brian; It's at the top of the page, under "Thread Tools". You want to subscribe to the thread.

On the PU tube thing, Wing Inflatables in Arcata, Calif (I think) is supposedly making some really good PU tubesets. I would expect them to be pretty pricey, however, as they are pretty busy fulfilling military contracts.

Check out http://www.wing.com

jky