Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 03 April 2013, 03:26   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 547
Making nice curves when masking (how?)

You may or may not be aware that I am planning to paint my deck this week and am now swaying towards the idea of putting down a non-slip coating but would like to know how do you mask or what do you use to mask off the corners on the deck near/around transom area like in the photo below (sorry Ed nicked your picture from your refurb thread).

Do you use a tape like this - 3M ScotchBlue Painters Masking Tape For Corners?

Also how many coats of the non-slip paint (supplied by east coast) do you put on the deck?

Apologies for all the questions but this is my first project and I am learning as I go along!

Thanks

Gareth
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	masking.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	78255  
__________________

__________________
whackywoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2013, 03:43   #2
Member
 
A1an's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Fort William
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F80
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,239
RIBase
I just use a narrow masking tape as it bends round curves, broader tape is a faff to get a smooth curve.
__________________

__________________
There is a place on this planet for all of Gods creatures.........right next to my tatties and gravy.
A1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2013, 04:07   #3
Member
 
butty's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: southampton
Make: Island RIBS / custom
Length: 7m +
Engine: inboard diesel
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 265
or just lay lots of stripes of masking tape down where you want your radius to be and use a new stanley knife blade and a mug / cup / 2 coin to cut around and then all the radius corners are the same....
__________________
butty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2013, 07:39   #4
RIBnet supporter
 
nugent's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by whackywoody View Post
You may or may not be aware that I am planning to paint my deck this week and am now swaying towards the idea of putting down a non-slip coating but would like to know how do you mask or what do you use to mask off the corners on the deck near/around transom area like in the photo below (sorry Ed nicked your picture from your refurb thread).

Do you use a tape like this - 3M ScotchBlue Painters Masking Tape For Corners?

Also how many coats of the non-slip paint (supplied by east coast) do you put on the deck?

Apologies for all the questions but this is my first project and I am learning as I go along!

Thanks

Gareth
Theif lol

Awnser is in the first sentence ish
I draw a line around an internal central cardboard roll of masking tape, and then free hand cut it with a scalpel,, but a Stanley will be fine
I cut it in half so as I can get closer to seat pods and awkward parts
I normally lay up one heavy coat then when cured another if required only around any dodgy masking areas, not a believer in over coating any thing that's fully cured full of wax,
__________________

MY BIGGEST WORRY IS THAT MY WIFE(WHEN I"M DEAD)WILL SELL MY TOY'S FOR WHAT I SAID I PAID FOR THEM.
nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2013, 09:11   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,317
You can't really second coat Flowcoat without first sanding it.
__________________
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!
Dirk Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2013, 10:29   #6
RIBnet supporter
 
nugent's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
You can't really second coat Flowcoat without first sanding it.
sorry was reffering to anti slip flo coat
, but i would also go over it with a wire brush a new one with no contaminated particles present from any previouse use, prior to applying a second coat,
__________________

MY BIGGEST WORRY IS THAT MY WIFE(WHEN I"M DEAD)WILL SELL MY TOY'S FOR WHAT I SAID I PAID FOR THEM.
nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2013, 11:05   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,317
So was I. Flowcoat, whether it's non slip or just gel and wax in styrene, really is a one shot application. The skill is getting it down thick enough to cover, but not to crack or be opaque. If you don't, then you really have to key the surface up, wipe with acetone, than have another try. I always make my own, and tend to go heavy on the wax, and the catalyst, just don't fanny around, or you'll have a very hot, smoking bucket of rubbery flowcoat!!!!
__________________
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!
Dirk Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2013, 13:38   #8
RIBnet supporter
 
nugent's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
So was I. Flowcoat, whether it's non slip or just gel and wax in styrene, really is a one shot application. The skill is getting it down thick enough to cover, but not to crack or be opaque. If you don't, then you really have to key the surface up, wipe with acetone, than have another try. I always make my own, and tend to go heavy on the wax, and the catalyst, just don't fanny around, or you'll have a very hot, smoking bucket of rubbery flowcoat!!!!
Been there with the smoking bucket more than once, hint turn ya phone off, r ignore it whilst working distractions are terrible when working with glass or resin
__________________

MY BIGGEST WORRY IS THAT MY WIFE(WHEN I"M DEAD)WILL SELL MY TOY'S FOR WHAT I SAID I PAID FOR THEM.
nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2013, 14:40   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 547
Thanks for your help and advice everyone, the plan is for tomorrow afternoon to do 2 flow coats around the edges and on the transom in tangerine orange and then Sunday I will do the masking and apply the black non slip deck paint.
__________________
whackywoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2013, 14:50   #10
Member
 
ribraff's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,210
It would be easier to paint or roll on two layers of gel coat adding wax in styrene to the second coat. No need for sanding then. Simples.
__________________

__________________
Hypalon Tubes built in-house,retubing, repairs, Accessories
www.ribtube.co.uk
ribraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.