Old 03 January 2007, 16:19   #1

Make: Avon SR 5.4
Length: 5m +
Major Searider rebuild.

I have just started my project. I bought an old SR 5.4 with some flaws. The transom and the deck must be rebuilt as all the plywood inside is rotten. So far I have cut out the deck and removed al traces of wood in the deck. Next thing to do is to open the transom and do the same thing here. Then rebuild the transom and then the deck. However, anyone got a tip for what kind of materials I should use for the transom and deck? My plan is to use GAP reinforced divinycell for the deck, as I think this would be more than strong enough with some stringers undernesth. Further I will seal the hull completely. The idea of the flooding hull is good, but as I have gutted the deck I have found why the ply inside has gone bad. It starts to leak from the underside, and it is no way one could repair a crack inside the hull unless you open it from the top. I am even thinking of making an internal tank or lower the area just forward of the middle section to get the fuel tank low and forward. I do not want to use any wood in the boat if it is possible to avoid it. Woodboats are nice, but I do not think it should be a wood core in a serious working boat. I know this post is almost worthless without pictures, but I drowned my camera last week so you will just have to wait for pics.

Old 03 January 2007, 17:05   #2

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Hi,

Sounds like you got a load to work and sounds like you got some good original ideas. I've not heard of anyone ripping the deck out of a Searider and puting a tank in there. Very Novel. I would love to see some pics of your work once you get the camera sorted.

Don't know if you can do it but my camera was submerged last year whilst at sea and my home insurance paid for a new one.

Old 03 January 2007, 17:07   #3

Make: Avon SR 5.4
Yes, it is a lot of work... But what else to do in the winter?

Come to think of it.. I have travel insurance. hmm....
Old 03 January 2007, 20:00   #4

Town: North Carolina, USA
Boat name: MissRocks
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50 2 stroke
Good luck with your project. I recently bought a
Searider 4.0 and discovered bad transom rot. I have a fair bit of experience building wooden boats using epoxy and fiberglass and considered replacing the transom myself. Through reading many of the excellent posts on this forum I learned that the stress on the transom is formidable especially when the boat returns to the water from being semi or extremely airborn. Amazing! I haven't tried it yet. Anyway here in North Carolina I found a good fiberglass shop that specializes in church steeples and boat repair. The boat is scheduled for a new composite transom this week. I'll report if satisfactory or not. The advantages should be lighter than wood, impervious to water, and rot proof. If I were considering replacing the wooden deck elements in a boat such as yours I would look for Okume mahogany plywood if available as I have found it to be extremely durable. As an alternative any good exterior grade plywood should be fine unless the boat will remain outside most of the time. CPES sounds like a good product to seal wood and prevent rot. My boat is a 98 model with very good condition tubes, Hence I am wiling to spend 800 bucks for the new transom. I have built a few boats, repaired or resurrected a couple more. The next one I buy will be NEW.
Post pictures of your progress, please.
Old 03 January 2007, 20:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchemrocks! View Post
Good luck with your project. I recently bought a
Searider 4.0 and discovered bad transom rot. I have a fair bit of experience building wooden boats using epoxy and fiberglass and considered replacing the transom myself. Through reading many of the excellent posts on this forum I learned that the stress on the transom is formidable especially when the boat returns to the water from being semi or extremely airborn. Amazing! I haven't tried it yet. Anyway here in North Carolina I found a good fiberglass shop that specializes in church steeples and boat repair. The boat is scheduled for a new composite transom this week. I'll report if satisfactory or not. The advantages should be lighter than wood, impervious to water, and rot proof. If I were considering replacing the wooden deck elements in a boat such as yours I would look for Okume mahogany plywood if available as I have found it to be extremely durable. As an alternative any good exterior grade plywood should be fine unless the boat will remain outside most of the time. CPES sounds like a good product to seal wood and prevent rot. My boat is a 98 model with very good condition tubes, Hence I am wiling to spend 800 bucks for the new transom. I have built a few boats, repaired or resurrected a couple more. The next one I buy will be NEW.
Post pictures of your progress, please.
Hi,

I'm amazed that your 8 year old boat needs a new transom. And I'm doubley amazed because its a Searider..
Old 03 January 2007, 20:34   #6

Hi
I was very unpleasantly surprised myself because I have owned several Avon whitewater boats and 2 sibs, all great boats. I can only suppose that the boat was left outside in the winters and subjected to freezing and thawing which accelerated the rot. I tried to email Avon for some advice but received no reply. Perhaps a response was blocked. I cannot help thinking that the wood in this particular boat was substandard from the beginning. Sh-t happens.
Old 03 January 2007, 20:41   #7

As for Avon replying Sh_- does happen.
Old 03 January 2007, 21:41   #8

Next time for me, RIBCRAFT happens!
Old 04 January 2007, 09:44   #9

Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Engine: Johnson 50
I've got a ten year old 4.7 Searider and it remains bullet proof. I am as well somewhat surprised at transom rot at eight years. Avon is not perfect however...they fitted my boat with a collapsable A frame and their response to my inquiries and comments matched yours.....ZERO.

Tomas
Old 04 January 2007, 18:31   #10

Hi Tomas, I've enjoyed reading many of your posts and I am still an Avon fan. I was in St. Thomas in September and did some marlin fishing. What a great place to enjoy a RIB. I'm envious! We need some more builders of "hard ass RIBS in the US. After 8 years I didn't expect Avon to be responsible for my problem, but a little advice would have been welcome. My boat has been repaired and I'll pick it up Saturday.
I wonder if Avon would have responded if I wanted a new Searider. It is an uphill battle to get any parts or service pertaining to these boats in my experience. For example, an Avon Service Station told me 'Elephant Trunks" weren't due to be received for about 2 months. I bought 2 from ebay from England within 2 weeks. When beginning installation I found rampant transom rot.
You guys sure have some monster tiger sharks!