Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 16 September 2003, 10:31   #1

Town: London
Make: Chinook
Length: 5M
Engine: Outboard, Mariner 40Hp 2 Stroke
Maintenance/Upgrade Questions - Chinook 5M & Mariner 40Hp 2Stroke

I have just bought a 5M Chinook with a 40Hp 2 Stroke Mariner outboard form a dive club (5-10 yrs old). They have both been excellently maintained. After my 1st weekend playing with the RIB, I am having difficulties wiping the smile off my face.

I’m now craving information and don’t relish the thought of hours online surfing for it….. So here’s my shopping list:-

1) Is there a good site for maintenance of the Mariner?
2) What fuel/2 stroke oil mix ratio should I be using?
3) Is there a good supplier out there for cheap tiller to remote control conversion kits (throttle, steering, gears)?
4) Is there any support between the deck and ‘V’ hull that I may be able to affix a console to?

I know it’s a long list for my first entry on this forum – but I have got the BUG.

Thanks,
Old 16 September 2003, 13:46   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Sadly Chinook are no longer in business having sold up in the mid 90s. think some of the molds went to Delta. Kevin Goulding used to run the company and is now involved with hotribs.

http://www.hotribs.com/

Should be no reason why you can't put a console into the rib, the build was standard marine ply and GRP. Fix it straight to the deck with S/S self tappers and Sikaflex sealant which will eventually set stronger than the deck! yes really.

Recently paid £50 (new £350) for second hand mariner throttle control box, but took a bit of finding with lots of calls to dealers etc. You will also need steering etc. For the size you are dealing with it might be a cheaper option to buy a kit out of a box (£90) rather than play about with second hand stuff here.

Have a chat to your local engine dealer for a manual on the engine. 2 cly 2 strokes are very simple great to learn on.

Pete