Includes at least 1 RIB incident...
Old 01 October 2013, 23:12   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I'm confused in Kieron Flatt's preamble he seems to suggest kill cord is better on wrist - or am I reading that wrong? Surely the MAIB read it before it went out?
Old 02 October 2013, 05:51   #3

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I'm confused in Kieron Flatt's preamble he seems to suggest kill cord is better on wrist - or am I reading that wrong? Surely the MAIB read it before it went out?
Poly - you do know you are the only person on the planet who's ever read a foreword on any publication... ...don't you?
Old 02 October 2013, 08:48   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Poly - you do know you are the only person on the planet who's ever read a foreword on any publication... ...don't you?
Actually I read that too, so that's 2 of us
The report is hardly a litany of death & destruction, Re. small boats. 1 death(sad as it is, it's only 1), 2 half drowned that deserved it & 1 bump on the head. Those numbers I can live with, I don't think we need anymore legislation.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 October 2013, 16:33   #5

Town: Derry/Southampton
Boat name: Jumpin Jack
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 200 Opti
Quote:
The report is hardly a litany of death & destruction, Re. small boats. 1 death(sad as it is, it's only 1), 2 half drowned that deserved it & 1 bump on the head. Those numbers I can live with, I don't think we need anymore legislation.
Dave,
Please don't forget the Safety Digest is only a representation - a short summary in effect, not a list of all leisure waterborne accidents/fatalities.
If you go past those three cases you mention above in the current digest- you go into the annex, two cases, both leisure craft, both multiple fatality.

Taken from the 2012 annual report (Page 59) the below list is of 26 fatalities in the UK in 2012 involving non-commercial leisure craft.

Small Craft (Non-Commercial)
1 Jan - Canoe Golitha Falls, River Fowey near Liskeard,Cornwall Capsize eading to 1 fatality
2 Jan - Canoe River Teme, Downton-on-theRock, Herefordshire Capsize leading to 1 fatality
18 Jan Cena Sailing yacht Kilbrannan Sound, off the Isle of Arran, Firth of Clyde Yacht found drifting and abandoned 1 fatality
1 Apr Mayfly Pleasure craft Loch Lomond Fall leading to man overboard resulting in fatality
15 Apr Elish Cabin cruiser River Avon Fire 2 fatalities
23 Apr Aquarius Privately owned former tug North coast of Brittany Foundering. Two crew survived 1 fatality
9 May Musketeer of Sutton Recreational craft Poole Bay Capsize of tender resulting in fatality
12 May - Row boat Barford, River Avon Drowning following capsize 1 fatality
25 May Kayak Red Kayak Isle of Seil, nr Oban Kayaker missing 1 fatality
2 Jun RS Marine Day Cruiser Recreational craft Greenock Ocean Terminal Drowning following capsize 1 fatality
10 Jun - RIB West coast of Scotland Contact resulting in fatality 1
19 Jul - Motorboat Shepperton, Thames Capsize resulting in fatality 1
20 Jul Solent RIB RIB Needles, Isle of Wight Fall overboard resulting in fatality (needs confirmation following coroners report)
7 Aug - Kayak Bradwell-on-Sea Missing kayaker 1 fatality
25 Aug Tern Recreational craft Island of Coll Person overboard 1 fatality
26 Aug Canadian kayak Kayak Off North West Gairloch Capsize resulting in 4 fatalities
16 Sep Unknown powerboat Recreational craft Weymouth Bay, Dorset
Capsize resulting in 1 fatality
14 Oct Seagair Recreational craft Between Mousehole and Bideford, Devon
Vessel wreckage found but single-handed skipper missing 1 fatality
28 Oct Brigand Recreational craft Rocken End, Isle of Wight Yacht found with missing crew 1 fatality
24 Nov Tarbert kayak Kayak Loch Fyne, Scotland Capsize leading to 1 fatality
17 Dec Unnamed rowing boat Recreational craft Thorpe Bay, Essex Capsize leading to 1 fatality
23 Dec Puddleduck Recreational craft Poole Harbour Capsize leading to 1 fatality
 See definitions in Annex
 Not all accidents involving pleasure craft (as defined in Annex) and recreational craft hired on a bareboat basis are required to be reported to the MAIB. While we would encourage all such accidents/incidents to be reported, we do not consider this to be a definitive or comprehensive register of waterborne fatal accidents.
Old 02 October 2013, 16:37   #6

Length: 7m +
Yipes, looking down list 23rd december boat called puddleduck based in poole harbour, my rib is called puddleduck and is based in poole harbour, it wasn't me. I think there was or still is a fishing boat called puddleduck in poole.
Old 02 October 2013, 16:52   #7

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
Actually I read that too, so that's 2 of us
+1 and also puzzled at his comment
Old 02 October 2013, 16:57   #8

Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Yipes, looking down list 23rd december boat called puddleduck based in poole harbour, my rib is called puddleduck and is based in poole harbour, it wasn't me. I think there was or still is a fishing boat called puddleduck in poole.
Just did a search for this incident, I remember it, I even spent an hour or so looking around poole harbour for the missing person in my rib. I never knew until today the small boat that capsized had the same name as my Rib. Rather scary, the person has yet to be found.
Old 02 October 2013, 16:58   #9

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpinjack View Post
Dave,
Please don't forget the Safety Digest is only a representation - a short summary in effect, not a list of all leisure waterborne accidents/fatalities.
If you go past those three cases you mention above in the current digest- you go into the annex, two cases, both leisure craft, both multiple fatality.

Taken from the 2012 annual report (Page 59) the below list is of 26 fatalities in the UK in 2012 involving non-commercial leisure craft.

Small Craft (Non-Commercial)
1 Jan - Canoe Golitha Falls, River Fowey near Liskeard,Cornwall Capsize eading to 1 fatality
2 Jan - Canoe River Teme, Downton-on-theRock, Herefordshire Capsize leading to 1 fatality
18 Jan Cena Sailing yacht Kilbrannan Sound, off the Isle of Arran, Firth of Clyde Yacht found drifting and abandoned 1 fatality
1 Apr Mayfly Pleasure craft Loch Lomond Fall leading to man overboard resulting in fatality
15 Apr Elish Cabin cruiser River Avon Fire 2 fatalities
23 Apr Aquarius Privately owned former tug North coast of Brittany Foundering. Two crew survived 1 fatality
9 May Musketeer of Sutton Recreational craft Poole Bay Capsize of tender resulting in fatality
12 May - Row boat Barford, River Avon Drowning following capsize 1 fatality
25 May Kayak Red Kayak Isle of Seil, nr Oban Kayaker missing 1 fatality
2 Jun RS Marine Day Cruiser Recreational craft Greenock Ocean Terminal Drowning following capsize 1 fatality
10 Jun - RIB West coast of Scotland Contact resulting in fatality 1
19 Jul - Motorboat Shepperton, Thames Capsize resulting in fatality 1
20 Jul Solent RIB RIB Needles, Isle of Wight Fall overboard resulting in fatality (needs confirmation following coroners report)
7 Aug - Kayak Bradwell-on-Sea Missing kayaker 1 fatality
25 Aug Tern Recreational craft Island of Coll Person overboard 1 fatality
26 Aug Canadian kayak Kayak Off North West Gairloch Capsize resulting in 4 fatalities
16 Sep Unknown powerboat Recreational craft Weymouth Bay, Dorset
Capsize resulting in 1 fatality
14 Oct Seagair Recreational craft Between Mousehole and Bideford, Devon
Vessel wreckage found but single-handed skipper missing 1 fatality
28 Oct Brigand Recreational craft Rocken End, Isle of Wight Yacht found with missing crew 1 fatality
24 Nov Tarbert kayak Kayak Loch Fyne, Scotland Capsize leading to 1 fatality
17 Dec Unnamed rowing boat Recreational craft Thorpe Bay, Essex Capsize leading to 1 fatality
23 Dec Puddleduck Recreational craft Poole Harbour Capsize leading to 1 fatality
 See definitions in Annex
 Not all accidents involving pleasure craft (as defined in Annex) and recreational craft hired on a bareboat basis are required to be reported to the MAIB. While we would encourage all such accidents/incidents to be reported, we do not consider this to be a definitive or comprehensive register of waterborne fatal accidents.
Thanks, I'd missed that.I can see a couple at most amongst that lot that might involve kill cords, Kayaking & canoeing however look dodgy pastimes, maybe the media & handwringers need to look elsewhere
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 October 2013, 18:13   #10

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Yes I scratched my head at this.....he moved the killlcord from his wrist to his leg to work a safety boat better, but after all these years he's going to go back to the best practice of wearing it round his wrist

Don't know whether to laugh or cry!