Old 01 November 2008, 08:31   #21

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
I would have thought RIB-X had a vested interest in putting things right: can you imagine the repercussions for them if another of their wrongly rigged boats was involved in an accident?
You would think so wouldnt you.. but as I have found out to my own cost, its not always the case. In reality the manufacturer ends up blaming the dealer, and the dealer ends up blaming the manufacturer, and so it goes round. It seems to me that some builders are very short sighted in this regard. As for CE marking, being self certifying isnt it ? doent count for much I'm afraid.

Perhaps the boat owner will tell us more about what happened afterwards
Old 01 November 2008, 11:17   #22
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post
Having read the report, I am shocked and apalled at the standard of the workmanship that went into rigging the rib. The kill switch mounting is apalling! it looks like its right through a knee, and the steering pipes....well what can you say.
when you see something like this you realise just how well nailed together the old avon SR is! i dint think my console will ever detatch with 8 M10 bolts and half a tube of sikaflex!
Ditto.
I personally see this as a failing on the part of Rib-X in not insisting that dealers have a fitter trained to fit out Rib-X hulls before they supply them with said hulls.

I think however that is a relatively minor failing given the utterly negligent bodging carried out by Holes Bay Marine. Given their location in an extremely expensive marina I'd expect the work they carry out to be of a very high standard.
If I were MDL Marinas I'd be seriously reviewing Holes Bay Marine's tenancy at this point.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 November 2008, 09:08   #23

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
It'll be interesting to hear what people like Paul Glatzel of Powerboat Training have to say about it, as I believe he uses Holes Bay all the time!
Old 08 November 2008, 08:38   #24

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
There are several manufacturers that supply boats in kit form, and I am sure that there are a large number of boats out there not rigged by "trained and approved" fitters, which under the new interpretation of the rules should not have a CE plate or worse still could be dangerous!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2008, 16:48   #25

Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
It'll be interesting to hear what people like Paul Glatzel of Powerboat Training have to say about it, as I believe he uses Holes Bay all the time!
See the article on p67 of the latst RIB International.
Old 10 November 2008, 17:56   #26

Length: 6m +
As you will have gathered from the MAIB report and the article in RIB Magazine i’m pretty well versed in this incident and as I was posting elsewhere on the site thought i’d pop my two pennyworth in to this post too.

Someone raised the question on this thread about the client and what has happened to him. Without doubt he was the one that suffered in all of this. Whilst he had boated before he was new to RIBing and had high expectations of a great weekend on his Level 2 course. Well certainly most of it went very well it was just the last few hours that went a bit awry. I’m glad to say that he was keen to continue ribbing and now has a new RIB which we have been out on and finished his course off on. He seems very happy and is enjoying his RIBing.

Comments have been made about Holes Bay Marine. I have used the guys at Holes Bay for many years and am happy to continue to use their services. They provide us a good professional service and have an excellent reputation in Poole. There are many other providers that we could use and if I was anything other than 100% certain that the work they do on our boats is of the appropriate standard then I would walk away. I would suggest that if any of you have issues with them I would venture to suggest that you go and meet them and decide for yourself face to face rather than deciding from afar.

If anyone has any questions about this incident then I will do my best to answer them

Regards

Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2008, 18:07   #27

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I would imagine that your client learnt a huge amount from this incident & your/ your teams handling of it ?

Hopefully, while very unsettling in the short term it will make everyone who knows about it a better boater ?
Old 10 November 2008, 22:07   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Glatzel View Post
I would suggest that if any of you have issues with them I would venture to suggest that you go and meet them and decide for yourself face to face rather than deciding from afar.
Sounds fair enough Paul,.. but any dealer kitting up a boat and leaving a Jockey/helm seat fixed with a few transit screws, and not even checking this as part of an installation wants a sore bottom in my view
Old 11 November 2008, 19:17   #29

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Ditto.
I personally see this as a failing on the part of Rib-X in not insisting that dealers have a fitter trained to fit out Rib-X hulls before they supply them with said hulls.

I think however that is a relatively minor failing given the utterly negligent bodging carried out by Holes Bay Marine. Given their location in an extremely expensive marina I'd expect the work they carry out to be of a very high standard.
If I were MDL Marinas I'd be seriously reviewing Holes Bay Marine's tenancy at this point.
Well you obviously aren't MDL Marinas and are unlikely to be given the challenging task of reviewing a tenancy agreement.
However you are clearly frustrated with this situation so perhaps to afford you some satisfaction, maybe you should take Mr. Glatzel's advice and visit Holes Bay and let them know about your desire to review their contract. Then you might receive their views directly.
Old 11 November 2008, 19:51   #30

Quote:
would imagine that your client learnt a huge amount from this incident & your/ your teams handling of it ?

Hopefully, while very unsettling in the short term it will make everyone who knows about it a better boater ?
Blackroady, Hi, I suspect for the client ultimately it will just form another of chunks of experience that we all gain as we progress our boating expedition. It was certainly a pretty extreme introduction to smaller boats and without doubt reinforced the benefits of LJs & killcords.

Quote:
Sounds fair enough Paul,.. but any dealer kitting up a boat and leaving a Jockey/helm seat fixed with a few transit screws, and not even checking this as part of an installation wants a sore bottom in my view
Bigmuz7, Hi. I don’t really feel it is my place to comment on who did what etc however your comment relates to the dealers responsibility to ensure a vessel is fit for purpose when delivered. I was commenting regarding Holes Bay – not the dealer.

Regards

Paul

Old 11 November 2008, 20:23   #31

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw View Post
Well you obviously aren't MDL Marinas and are unlikely to be given the challenging task of reviewing a tenancy agreement.
However you are clearly frustrated with this situation so perhaps to afford you some satisfaction, maybe you should take Mr. Glatzel's advice and visit Holes Bay and let them know about your desire to review their contract. Then you might receive their views directly.
Oh Gawd he's back.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2008, 20:32   #32

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
ah yes. is this the one with the plastic Boat?? well we know his views on screwed on consols!!
Old 11 November 2008, 21:14   #33

Quote:
Bigmuz7, Hi. I don’t really feel it is my place to comment on who did what etc however your comment relates to the dealers responsibility to ensure a vessel is fit for purpose when delivered. I was commenting regarding Holes Bay – not the dealer.
So was I .. Holes bay was the eventual supplying dealer if I'm not mistaken

"The RIB-X Explorer XP510 remained on display in the showroom for over a year. In an
attempt to increase the chance of selling the RIB, the dealer decided to fit an engine
and steering system and make it ready for use.
On 30 August 2007 Holes Bay Marine fitted an 80hp Mariner outboard motor and
hydraulic steering system. It also supplied and fitted removable fuel tanks, fuel lines,
throttle arrangement, control cables, a battery and an isolator switch. The RIB was sold on 23 February 2008 and delivered to the purchaser on 1 March
2008. An opportunity for the dealer to demonstrate the boat to its owner did not
materialise, and the newly named Partner 1 was put into water for the first time on 19
April 2008 "

As quoted from MAIB report

So Holes bay had the final say If I'm not mistaken ?
Old 11 November 2008, 21:44   #34

Bigmuz7. I'm afraid that your interpretation of the report is incorrect but I can see how it may be possible to do so. The dealer was Poole Boating Centre, the report refers to the fact that they ceased to operate on or around the time of the sale of the vessel.

Regards

Paul

Old 11 November 2008, 22:02   #35

Quote:
Bigmuz7. I'm afraid that your interpretation of the report is incorrect but I can see how it may be possible to do so. The dealer was Poole Boating Centre, the report refers to the fact that they ceased to operate on or around the time of the sale of the vessel.

Regards

Paul
Sure .. ok Paul ,.. but isnt my point the same though, about an ultimate inspector not paying attention to some vital facts,.. which is perhaps confused by something else no one has mentioned,.. that the helm console is also a seat ,and like a car ,.. should be certified to hold a certain weight,.. and is nothing without its fixture to the deck ?
Old 11 November 2008, 22:48   #36
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw View Post
Well<...............<edited to stop people getting bored>......................................direct ly.
I did consider asking JK if he fancied changing your status to something more fitting but in the end I decided it describes you quite well. I've got £50 in my wallet. I know it's a better offer than you were expecting for your property portfolio, but I'm feeling generous.

Oh, and don't forget to swim away fast as they sink...

Old 12 November 2008, 01:54   #37

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I support timw's comment.
Old 12 November 2008, 07:25   #38

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
i dont, what a donut!!!
Old 12 November 2008, 08:10   #39
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
I support timw's comment.
yes JW but we shouldn't let common sense get in the way of a rib net slanging match, based on people's past disputes with other members - rather than the subject of the thread!
Old 12 November 2008, 08:11   #40
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Ditto.

In light of Paul's comments, I have thoroughly reread the MAIB report and I withdraw the post I've quoted as it appears I've made some assumptions I shouldn't have. I do see how (given the reported circumstances of the sale/rigging) it would be easy to mistakenly overlook the bolting down of the console.

However, I still feel given the contents of the report (assuming the RIb-X report on the dealers failings is accurately relayed) and my own experience i fitting out boats that whoever rigged the engine/helm at Holes Bay Marine should have been severely taken to task over the quality of workmanship.
There is in my view absolutely no excuse for:-

Fitting an outboard without sealing the transom bolts.

Not fitting witches hats (or anything to minimise chafing) to the cable runs.

Kinked hydraulic lines.

The lack of venting of the under deck area-the lowest obvious egress for fuel vapour appears to lead to the under deck area which houses the kill switch. As fuel vapour is heavier than air this could potentially lead to a dangerous buildup of vapour in the bilges as well as under the console.