Old 05 June 2009, 13:00   #21

Town: Nottingham
Length: no boat
RIBase
Very intersting to debate carrying KEDs or similar on RIBs, but unless you're in a rescue/safety role then it's not in any way sensible to practice with it often enought to make it useful. It would, i would think, be of more value for normal comercial operators to simply thiunk about, and train their staff in, what to do with a back injury. Simple things like identifying areas of the deck where you can put someone, and making sure that area is clear of deck fittings, is useful, easy and free. I've been offered RIBs for charter as saftey boats for a long distance cat event that didn't have a 2m x 1m space on thier deck where someone could lie down.

Also, as already pointed out, increasing the awareness of the possibility of people getting traumatic spinal injury in this way is good. I'd be interested to see what the "thou shalt always sit down in a RIB" bunch at the RYA have to say about this.
Old 05 June 2009, 16:45   #22

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I don't see the logic there: Emergency procedures were in place (which met the requirements and were probably suitable and sufficient for the circumstances). Those procedures were not followed. So do you change the regulations to make it harder for everyone (i.e. increased training and equipment requirements) OR focus your efforts on ensuring the basic existing procedures are followed "next time"?
That's exactly my point - you and I would focus efforts on existing procedures, but that's not the current political climate within MCA. Before long, someone will sit down and think "we need a new code for high speed vessels" and we'll be off on the whole merry go round again. And that's before the European Maritine Safety Agency gets it's feet under the table...

And fair comment about the crew not appreciating the seriousness of the situation, but isn't that what procedures are for? Of course the crew can't diagnose competently - so the standing order is call for help. Which in this case they ignored.
Old 05 June 2009, 16:48   #23

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Rs600 View Post
Very intersting to debate carrying KEDs or similar on RIBs, but unless you're in a rescue/safety role then it's not in any way sensible to practice with it often enought to make it useful. It would, i would think, be of more value for normal comercial operators to simply thiunk about, and train their staff in, what to do with a back injury. Simple things like identifying areas of the deck where you can put someone, and making sure that area is clear of deck fittings, is useful, easy and free. I've been offered RIBs for charter as saftey boats for a long distance cat event that didn't have a 2m x 1m space on thier deck where someone could lie down.

Also, as already pointed out, increasing the awareness of the possibility of people getting traumatic spinal injury in this way is good. I'd be interested to see what the "thou shalt always sit down in a RIB" bunch at the RYA have to say about this.
With you to a degree Andy, but a KED is a pretty simple device and difficult to do further harm with, same as most first aid items.

Agree on identifying a clear area though, especially given that a helo may well respond and find a clear point for a winchman is a nightmare. That's why our A frames are all over the helm - you'd never land someone there anyway, and with a clear stern the winchman can simply step off it...