Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 16 August 2014, 16:55   #11
Member
 
stevedonna's Avatar
 
Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 392
Just spent a week on jura . I went out and took an hour to catch four mackerel . Next day none . Next day my eldest daughter went with me . We both hung the same rod line and feathers within five minutes she had nine to my none . I blamed it on her having the lucky rod . Next day I caught four but took me an hour again . Next day she yawned and said I fancy another go . Five on one line in two minutes !!!



Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
__________________

__________________
stevedonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2014, 17:06   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Isle of Wight mostly
Make: Regal
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser
MMSI: 235911246
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 188
Nowt off bembridge / no man's fort for us this week. Chatting with a seemingly more successful fisherman whilst digging worms on the beach, he said the bad viz has contributed to less mackerel bites lately.
__________________

__________________
solent spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2014, 18:52   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: south west
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 85
Its the same everywhere this year .
2 weeks back i done 28 nautical miles and only had 3 macks all day .
Everyone i speak to has the same problem.
__________________
stigoftd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2014, 19:14   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,251
How did the lobby pots go? Did you try getting DD to set them given her Mackrel Luck>
__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2014, 04:33   #15
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,596
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedonna View Post
.....I blamed it on her having the lucky rod .........
That can't be right, my missus has the lucky rod, are telling me there's 2 of 'em What we try & do is fish different depths, I'll drop down to the bottom & do a couple of winds up, the missus (with the lucky rod) will drop hers just under the boat to about 10m. You can see the weight on the sounder. She tends to catch more mackerel than I do, whilst I live in hope of the elusive Bass. We got 17 Mackerel yesterday all good size, in a couple of hours. Some went on the BBQ, some in the smoker, some into mackerel rillettes, the rest went to the neighbours on the campsite. The locals are pulling good size Bass at 6-12lb,,,,,,this time next year Rodney
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2014, 06:38   #16
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Small hooks and feathers seem to be out fishing the larger more standard ones. I've scaled my rigs down to size 2 or 4 hooks and on a fishing comp a month ago just west of Portland I was the only one catching the fresh bait, peeved me off a bit because when it came to the comp others beat me using the macks I'd caught as bait

Still, that's the way it goes sometimes
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2014, 08:06   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: woking
Boat name: Hummingbird
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: outboard, 300
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 99
Really grateful for the tips - thank you very much.
__________________
topspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2014, 12:06   #18
Member
 
stevedonna's Avatar
 
Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
How did the lobby pots go? Did you try getting DD to set them given her Mackrel Luck>

Sorry the wifi is not very good not been able to get anything today until now . The lobster pots worked in the sense that I still have them . This is mainly down to yours and others advice . So the pots stayed put and the marker buoys looked very home made but again did the job . The weight 3 m down from the marker buoy is not heavy enough so the flag is at 45 degree angle .

In terms of catch nothing but dozens of really small crab for first four days and no bait left in . We tried to get from craighouse round to colonsay on day five having given up waiting for the wind to drop . Got within four miles but had battled against wind and chop for long enough when it got too much . Turned round a went for a brew in port Askraig . Got talking to a lobster/crab man . He told me to salt my mackerel heads .

So last night in jura I set them with salted mackerel . Pulled them in on last morning and there was one reasonable sized crab and a small lobster , more importantly there was still bait there . Now in Tobermory but not put the boat out today due to weather . Going to try and experiment more this week .


Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
__________________
stevedonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2014, 12:08   #19
Member
 
stevedonna's Avatar
 
Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
That can't be right, my missus has the lucky rod, are telling me there's 2 of 'em What we try & do is fish different depths, I'll drop down to the bottom & do a couple of winds up, the missus (with the lucky rod) will drop hers just under the boat to about 10m. You can see the weight on the sounder. She tends to catch more mackerel than I do, whilst I live in hope of the elusive Bass. We got 17 Mackerel yesterday all good size, in a couple of hours. Some went on the BBQ, some in the smoker, some into mackerel rillettes, the rest went to the neighbours on the campsite. The locals are pulling good size Bass at 6-12lb,,,,,,this time next year Rodney

I have been dropping mine to the bottom and gradually bring it up , best results seem to be about the 90 foot deep bits near the coast


Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
__________________
stevedonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2014, 18:44   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: south west
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedonna View Post
Sorry the wifi is not very good not been able to get anything today until now . The lobster pots worked in the sense that I still have them . This is mainly down to yours and others advice . So the pots stayed put and the marker buoys looked very home made but again did the job . The weight 3 m down from the marker buoy is not heavy enough so the flag is at 45 degree angle .

In terms of catch nothing but dozens of really small crab for first four days and no bait left in . We tried to get from craighouse round to colonsay on day five having given up waiting for the wind to drop . Got within four miles but had battled against wind and chop for long enough when it got too much . Turned round a went for a brew in port Askraig . Got talking to a lobster/crab man . He told me to salt my mackerel heads .

So last night in jura I set them with salted mackerel . Pulled them in on last morning and there was one reasonable sized crab and a small lobster , more importantly there was still bait there . Now in Tobermory but not put the boat out today due to weather . Going to try and experiment more this week .


Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
I use a wide neck water bottle filled with bait punch some holes in it the crabs cant get the bait and it will work for 4-8 days tide dependent.
Also i hang some "loose" bait in the middle of the pot for extra strong attractant
good to hear they stayed put and caught at least something
__________________

__________________
stigoftd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.