Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 08 August 2006, 20:13   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
There is definitely a great deal of snobbery amongst the Yachties. Many of them hate powerboats with no justification at all. In our local marina I have found the most approachable down to Earth people to be the one's with the most expensive powerboats - often a £million plus. The one's who look down their noses are the people with the 30 - 40' gin palaces and nearly all the Yacthies.
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 August 2006, 20:29   #12
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,688
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
You can't say that, you haven't seen it. For your information Zerstorer is one of the best 4m seariders I've ever seen - very well specced, fitted out nicely and with great attention to detail, and well looked after. I'm jealous of his boat.
Sooooooo what is your point? Please comment on the substance of my post?
__________________

__________________
Running around like a head with it's chicken cut off.
Limey Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 August 2006, 21:32   #13
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
There is definitely a great deal of snobbery amongst the Yachties. Many of them hate powerboats with no justification at all. In our local marina I have found the most approachable down to Earth people to be the one's with the most expensive powerboats - often a £million plus. The one's who look down their noses are the people with the 30 - 40' gin palaces and nearly all the Yacthies.
I think there is even an element of that here.... in fact I have very little time for visiting yachties as the majority of them seem to be scrounging gits who expect to be given everything for nothing just because they grace your humble island with their presence. Best one yet was about a year ago, bloke turned up at work looking for spare parts for something or other, "need the parts now and will probably be back in about six weeks so will pay for them then". The answer involved the words "on" and "bike" I think.... or was it "off" and another word beginning with F

But as you say I have no idea why really - not sure if it is an "eurgh you fossil fuel burning oiks are destroying the environment" thing or a "eurgh you lot are noisy and smelly thing" or what the whole thing is a bit like ramblers vs. 4x4 owners in fact... conflicting uses of the same bit of real estate when in actual fact there is no need for conflict at all.

Some yachties are fine and perfectly nice people - but there does seem to be a well above average proportion of irritating ones

Personally I find travelling at 4 knots rather dull and I have too many other hobbies to fill my weekend with to spend it stooging around like a nautical tortoise

I guess in some ways the dislike is a bit like (environ)mentalists/politicians/Red Ken/this weeks loony fringe who hate 4x4s with no justification at all and quote outrageously inaccurate tosh and gross generalisations about how much road they use up and how much fuel they use without actually checking the facts, or quoting one or two unrepresentative examples (like a supercharged V8 RR sport when most 4x4s are turbodiesel). We don't have many of their sort here either
__________________
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2006, 00:08   #14
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda
Sooooooo what is your point? Please comment on the substance of my post?
I actually think I MIGHT agree with LL here-the reason the yachtie wouldn't be jealous of Biggles's boat is because he's a yachtie and wouldn't be impressed if it was gold plated and driven by Freddie Mercury while singing Bohemian Rhapsody and backed by Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin.
Pretty much all they care about is the amount of wash you're leaving-and at 10 knots we leave quite a wash. unless you're in a restricted space and going too fast for safety which is really the way it should be.

Most yachties I've met would prefer us to be planing and leaving less wake as long as it's safe to do so.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2006, 04:45   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda
Sooooooo what is your point? Please comment on the substance of my post?
I'm sitting on the fence regarding the rest of your post. From my position as a yachtie and a powerboater, I'm still clarifying things in my own mind.

However, you said you didn't think anyone would be jealous of Biggles Searider. I said that I was jealous. I'm not as on the ball as I should be late at night, so I thought i'd take your post one point at a time
__________________
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2006, 08:07   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - Isle of Man
Town: port st mary
Boat name: Orange Peel
Make: Delta
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 96
Is everyone black or white on this?

I love ribbing, kayaking, sailing, snorkelling, bodyboarding.
I go off roading, green laning, hill walking and trail riding (cycling).
I cycle in London but I'm also a pedestrian, driver, public transport user.

A little empathy goes a long way, what goes around comes around etc.
__________________
Mouldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2006, 11:07   #17
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster

Personally I find travelling at 4 knots rather dull and I have too many other hobbies to fill my weekend with to spend it stooging around like a nautical tortoise
Stephen. For me this is the quote of the year.
__________________
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2006, 11:12   #18
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda
Biggles

I do not think anyone would be jealous of your boat.
I was being a little sarcastic !

But they are probably jealous of the freedom a RIB gives you to zoom about and enjoy yourself without needing a 4 man crew to tie up on a pontoon when you've finished for the day.
__________________
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2006, 11:19   #19
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy
Is everyone black or white on this?

I love ribbing, kayaking, sailing, snorkelling, bodyboarding.
I go off roading, green laning, hill walking and trail riding (cycling).
I cycle in London but I'm also a pedestrian, driver, public transport user.

A little empathy goes a long way, what goes around comes around etc.
I'm with you on this.

A bit of consideration and tolerance makes life easier for everyone. It's just common sense.

I don't particularly enjoy sailing, but I doing mind pootling along in a displacement boat. On the other hand, going slowly in a fast boat is never very satisfying, especially when you know you could be on the plane and not causing any harm or inconvenience.

John
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2006, 13:27   #20
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,688
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Common sense

Good post by both Mouldy and JK. Just as an example of consideration; If you see a older person crossing the street really, really slowly and taking up some of your precious time. Should you blow your car horn?????. Sometimes folks in both sail and power boats have problems due to inexperienced crew and/or owners or technical problems. Helping them out is the way to go. I have been boating for 40 years and I guarantee that I have made more screw up's than successes. Just my humble opinion. And by the way: if anyone want's to buy me a pint for every hour I have spent pottering down the Hamble, from Burseldon @ 3 knots to Soton. Water. Please make sure you have 1000 pounds available.
__________________

__________________
Running around like a head with it's chicken cut off.
Limey Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.