Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 14 June 2011, 18:25   #1
Member
 
boristhebold's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,293
Low flying air craft near miss

I thought I had seen most types of stupidity while on the water until today, while in studland bay today I saw a light aircraft flying low toward old Harry, it dissapeard from view having rounded old Harry, I say rounded as it didn't fly over it. I opened to full throttle to head past old Harry expecting to see a crashed plane. After rounding old Harry from studland I spotted the plane flying fro swan age bay back this way along the cliff. I could see the cliff above the plane ! It must have been flying along the cliff about 20 feet from the cliff and half way between the water and the cliff top, say about 20 feet above the water. Nuts.

P.s. I captured some of it on my video camera. Will post here in a couple of days.
__________________

__________________
boristhebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 04:45   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 894
idiot pilot

you should have got his registration and reported him to the police or the air registration board or any airport control tower
__________________

__________________
uncle al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 04:48   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle al View Post
you should have got his registration and reported him to the police or the air registration board or any airport control tower
...Why?
__________________
timw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 05:24   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw View Post
...Why?
Coz your not allowed to have fun!

Seems a bit pointless getting upset about it though, and for all you know he may well have had permission to do so. The air space in that area is pretty well controlled, so the authorities are quite likely to be aware of it.

Years ago I chartered a light aircraft for a Hurn to Jersey trip I needed to do, and on the return flight the pilot thought it would be fun to do a "bombing" run on the Barfleur in Poole Bay, he called up on the R/T to ask permission, and was told to do what he liked as it was a quiet day. Great fun, and the pax on the boat seem to enjoy it as well!
__________________
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!
Dirk Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 07:19   #5
Member
 
boristhebold's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw View Post
...Why?
I have considered reporting it, NO WAY would he have had permission to do what he did, I will post the poor video I took and you can make your own minds up. 20 feet or less above the water next to the cliff face with hikers on the cliff and boats etc on the water.

wait for vid to be posted
__________________
boristhebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 09:45   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
I have considered reporting it, NO WAY would he have had permission to do what he did, I will post the poor video I took and you can make your own minds up. 20 feet or less above the water next to the cliff face with hikers on the cliff and boats etc on the water.

wait for vid to be posted
It had better be convincing otherwise I shall be adding you to my rather long list of health and safety obsessed Ribnet traffic wardens...
__________________
timw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 10:30   #7
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Torrance
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 332
I am bit vague on the UK rules since I fly mostly in the USA but I think provided he was 500ft above any people, buildings or vessels within 1000 ft horizontally. He wasn't breaking any laws. I m using the iPhone to post so will check later but google 'rule 5' as that deals with that sort of thing.

SDG
__________________
Compass Deliveries
SDGANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 11:00   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 36
500' away from any people, vehicles, man made structures is what is required without special permission and when not taking off or landing. So, down to 1ft over the sea and away from boats would be legal. Whether it is wise in a single is another question.
__________________
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 14:13   #9
RIBnet supporter
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Coast
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,445
The airspace at Old Harry is uncontrolled (Class G) airspace, as the control zone around Bournemouth airport extends to around the harbour entrance.
Rule 5 does apply to all pilots and you are correct about 500' above any person, vessel or structure, in any airspace, except for landing and take off.
It would be very difficult for any pilot doing this to positively prove that there was no person walking along the cliff top or in the water and so was probably breaking this Rule. However, the burden of proof would be on the person doing the reporting and a video would be a very good start. The max height of the cliffs at Ballard Down is 141m, so if indeed below cliff top, would have been below 500'.
If pursued by the CAA, the pilot would probably be fined for flying in a manner likely to endanger him(her)self, the aircraft and/or public.

PS There is NO way ANY controller would give permission for a pilot to dive bomb any vessel!! They neither have the authority to do this and would never encourage any activity of this sort, which to be frank is pretty dumb. If you know there is a large gathering of people (like on a large ferry), then the minimum overflying height is 1500', which of course any qualified pilot would know ....
__________________
250kts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 17:21   #10
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
The airspace at Old Harry is uncontrolled (Class G) airspace, as the control zone around Bournemouth airport extends to around the harbour entrance.
Rule 5 does apply to all pilots and you are correct about 500' above any person, vessel or structure, in any airspace, except for landing and take off.
It would be very difficult for any pilot doing this to positively prove that there was no person walking along the cliff top or in the water and so was probably breaking this Rule. However, the burden of proof would be on the person doing the reporting and a video would be a very good start. The max height of the cliffs at Ballard Down is 141m, so if indeed below cliff top, would have been below 500'.
If pursued by the CAA, the pilot would probably be fined for flying in a manner likely to endanger him(her)self, the aircraft and/or public.

PS There is NO way ANY controller would give permission for a pilot to dive bomb any vessel!! They neither have the authority to do this and would never encourage any activity of this sort, which to be frank is pretty dumb. If you know there is a large gathering of people (like on a large ferry), then the minimum overflying height is 1500', which of course any qualified pilot would know ....

What he said ^^^

Even here the rule is 500' from any person or building, as we come under CAA regs. I certainly know of occasions here when people have broken this (like many things it's OK between consenting adults if nobody else is looking!!) but to do it anywhere where other people might be present would be asking for trouble and I guess that's most of the UK.

Also agree that with all pilots having to pass the PPL as a minimum qualification I'd be surprised if anybody would be that silly as to completely flout the rule as they'd risk getting hammered. The only way you can fly a plane without a PPL is if you're with somebody qualified or an instructor, and either of those would be ultimately responsible for anybody unlicensed acting like an arse while they were P1.
__________________

__________________
A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.