Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 03 June 2019, 19:29   #1

Town: Mississauga
Boat name: Mark II
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Lot of scam artists browsing this site!

As soon as I put my boat up for sale, I got a bunch of emails/texts from several people supposedly on the other side of the continent from me. They at first seemed interested in the boat, but as time went on, warning bells went off in my head; they weren't interested in seeing pictures of the flaws on the boat, they just wanted to deposit full payment into my paypal account. They weren't interested in how it was going to be shipped to them, claiming to have a "pickup agent" who was going to come to get the boat. When I suggested that the pickup agent should show up with a bank draft or cash, they declined, saying that he/she was not authorized to deal with cash or payment, only the pickup of the product - BIG WARNING BELLS. When I put my foot down, and said no paypal, their command of the English language went out the window, and they were whining that I should immediately get a paypal account, and send them the info so they could deposit funds. I called them out on being scammers, and never got another email again.
Be warned folks!
I know if they use a credit card to make the paypal payment, they can wait until you give them the boat, then call their CC company, and tell them the card was stolen and used to make a paypal purchase. The CC will reverse the transaction, leaving paypal with no recourse other than an apology to you, meanwhile, you're out the funds, and your boat.
Fair warning to all trying to sell their boat, or anything online for that matter!
Old 05 June 2019, 09:34   #2

Length: 6m +
Exactly the same happened to a friend of mine selling his car on eBay!
Old 05 June 2019, 12:28   #3

Town: Cheddleton
Boat name: Black Hawk III
Make: Osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: 300
Got the same scam email yesterday, supposedly disabled buyer can’t come to look, will pay by PayPal only and send courier.

They are off to North Wales now to collect from local police station. Should keep them busy
Old 05 June 2019, 12:49   #4

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
I saw what I thought was a scam:

Zodiac 550 pro, 6 months old bought for $50,000 selling for $23,000, excellent condition with low hours.

Turned out that the owner ( wheel chair bound from an industrial accident ) was wanting a bigger one once he discovered he could actually manage to handle the 550 quite well.

When I turned up at the fellas house, everything from his footpaths to rails to get into his 4x4 had been engineered by him so he could continue doing the things he loved before his accident. I got what I consider a pretty good bargain and have now stuck 750hrs on the engine since buying the outfit.
Old 05 June 2019, 19:01   #5

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Fin-atic View Post
As soon as I put my boat up for sale, I got a bunch of emails/texts from several people supposedly on the other side of the continent from me. They at first seemed interested in the boat, but as time went on, warning bells went off in my head; they weren't interested in seeing pictures of the flaws on the boat, they just wanted to deposit full payment into my paypal account. They weren't interested in how it was going to be shipped to them, claiming to have a "pickup agent" who was going to come to get the boat. When I suggested that the pickup agent should show up with a bank draft or cash, they declined, saying that he/she was not authorized to deal with cash or payment, only the pickup of the product - BIG WARNING BELLS. When I put my foot down, and said no paypal, their command of the English language went out the window, and they were whining that I should immediately get a paypal account, and send them the info so they could deposit funds. I called them out on being scammers, and never got another email again.
Be warned folks!
I know if they use a credit card to make the paypal payment, they can wait until you give them the boat, then call their CC company, and tell them the card was stolen and used to make a paypal purchase. The CC will reverse the transaction, leaving paypal with no recourse other than an apology to you, meanwhile, you're out the funds, and your boat.
Fair warning to all trying to sell their boat, or anything online for that matter!

Welcome to the internet........
Old 05 June 2019, 23:54   #6

Town: Mississauga
Boat name: Mark II
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Hdav....

LMAO
funniest response I have ever gotten!!!!
LOLOLOLOL
thanks for making my day mate!