Old 02 August 2007, 06:18   #21

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 2st 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by waverunner View Post
I am surprised at the amount of people on this forum who keep their ribs on moorings but do not anti foul their hulls, surely they should understand the consequences will be loss of speed, combined with the inevitable job of cleaning off the hull.
It would take a lot longer to paint on the antifoul each year than the 2 hours or so that I spend acid spraying - and I have a convenient source of acid - very very very cheap if you get my meaning. And no sorry guys I can't get you any.

Ian
Old 02 August 2007, 12:25   #22

Town: Haverfordwest
Boat name: Nenya
Make: Tornado 5.1
Engine: Mercury 60hp
MMSI: 235051491
Not wishing to sound like a drum beating environmentalist, but, which is more hazardous?
Spraying acid around sounds more than a little irresponsible to me, what effect does it have when it goes into the water courses? I'm not trying to make any accusations here I'm just looking for reassurance from someone who knows anything more than my meagre knowledge of this subject and its potential consequences.
Old 02 August 2007, 12:52   #23

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugshot View Post
Not wishing to sound like a drum beating environmentalist, but, which is more hazardous?
Spraying acid around sounds more than a little irresponsible to me, what effect does it have when it goes into the water courses? I'm not trying to make any accusations here I'm just looking for reassurance from someone who knows anything more than my meagre knowledge of this subject and its potential consequences.
It breaks down into salt and water - pretty apt in the sea.

Remember some pretty nasty chemicals when combined are perfectly safe. Sodium metal is very dangerous as is Chlorine gas - mix them together and you put it on your chips!!!
Old 02 August 2007, 12:59   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
It breaks down into salt and water - pretty apt in the sea.
Thats a smashing answer, thank you for that cod. Is it a more environmentally acceptable method than antifoul then or are the basic chemicals used the same?
Old 02 August 2007, 13:59   #25

Quote:
Thats a smashing answer, thank you for that cod. Is it a more environmentally acceptable method than antifoul then or are the basic chemicals used the same?
The short answer is YES!!!

Any antifoul by it's very nature is harmful to the environment. Some very nasty chemicals used that can last many years and have some very strange effects. TBT was the best but was too good. In a confined area like a marina or inland waterway not only would it kill all growth on your boat but everywhere else as well.

New copper based antifoulings are about as nice as they get - not exactly a new idea - they used it long before Nelson.

One word of warning. Do NOT use acid on a boat that has been antifouled - some of them liberate some very nasty gases when in contact with acid - not sure what but I suspect Flourine which is VERY nasty!!!
Old 02 August 2007, 14:14   #26

Good stuff, thank you for that . Glad I trailer mine I don't have to worry either way, though I used antifoul on my hard boats and as you say, by its very nature it has to bad for something otherwise there'd be no point in putting it on!
Weren't you making your own? Hows that coming along?
Old 02 August 2007, 14:49   #27

Quote:
Good stuff, thank you for that . Glad I trailer mine I don't have to worry either way, though I used antifoul on my hard boats and as you say, by its very nature it has to bad for something otherwise there'd be no point in putting it on!
Weren't you making your own? Hows that coming along?
Yes I am still working on it. The R+D is a slow process!!!
Old 02 August 2007, 21:18   #28

Town: Staffs
Make: Yam FX160 HO
Length: 3m +
Engine: Flippin Fast
Codders !!!!!!

You seem to be very knowledgable all of a sudden with regards to chemical consistency and application. Maybe you have taken a degree in chemistry in your spare time when you are not replying to threads.

May I remind you of the 7hrs of hard graft you put in when cleaning your hull on the beach with scrapers!!!! of all things.

On Tuesday we finally had the chance to put the boat up on the sand to scrub off the bottom. As you can see it was like the great barrier reef under there.

Took us 7 hrs of sheer hard work - using plastic windscreen scrapers from Hypervalue and nylon scourers. Scrubbing brushes didn't touch it.

It turned out to be great weather and it was nice to get away from it all for a few hours. We even had a free air display - big NATO excercise on - all sorts of aircraft - even an AWACS. I think they decided to use our boat as a marker point - was a bit worried - didn't want a "blue on blue"!!!

Has made a hell of a difference to the boat - was down to 25kts - back up to 41 now - should have tried a different prop but we needed every one of those 7hrs.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 02 August 2007, 21:51   #29

[QUOTE=waverunner;212256] Codders !!!!!!

You seem to be very knowledgable all of a sudden with regards to chemical consistency and application. Maybe you have taken a degree in chemistry in your spare time when you are not replying to threads.

May I remind you of the 7hrs of hard graft you put in when cleaning your hull on the beach with scrapers!!!! of all things.

Oh I did try but I wasn't going to fork out a fortune for HCL branded as "miracle barnacle remover" for £10 for a small bottle. HCL is about £10 for 25litres - if only I knew Machine Mart sold it!!!

And you are pretty close on the Chemistry degree - unfortunately I was forcibly switched to doing a Physics degree - banned from the Chemistry labs and given a few very stern warnings. These days they would just lock me up even though I am a bit too pale to be a Muslim!!!