Old 05 March 2008, 16:01   #11

Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
I think I used a 4mm or 4.5mm drill, measure the diameter of the shank (without the threads) of your screw and use a drill of that diameter or 0.5mm smaller. Try on a scrap piece of plywood to check if the right size, the screw should be quite difficult to screw in!!!
To install the seat, assuming there are no holes already in the boat floor, position the seat in the required location and drill the four corner holes. Install four screws loosely into these holes the hold the seat in position and then drill all the other holes. Only drill the holes deep enough for the screws being utilised, ideally using a stop on the drill. Once all the holes are drilled remove the seat and clean the area thoroughly, and the base of the seat.
Inject sicaflex in all the holes in the floor/deck and then join all the holes with a generous line of the sealant so that there is a continuous seal around the location.
Place the seat carefully on the sealant ,locating it with a couple of screws at opposite corners. Finally, screw in all the screws (with large washers) and clean any sicaflex that has been displaced from under the seat.
If there are loads of holes already drilled in the floor it is probable that the original holes were drilled too large and the screws have pulled out. If this is the case you can use these holes with larger diameter screws and washers. However, you would have to enlarge the corresponding holes in the seat base to accomodate the fatter screws. Hope this helps.

Old 05 March 2008, 16:18   #12

Town: cork
Boat name: none
Make: HUMBER DESTROYER 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: 140HP sUZUKI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypman View Post
I think I used a 4mm or 4.5mm drill, measure the diameter of the shank (without the threads) of your screw and use a drill of that diameter or 0.5mm smaller. Try on a scrap piece of plywood to check if the right size, the screw should be quite difficult to screw in!!!
To install the seat, assuming there are no holes already in the boat floor, position the seat in the required location and drill the four corner holes. Install four screws loosely into these holes the hold the seat in position and then drill all the other holes. Only drill the holes deep enough for the screws being utilised, ideally using a stop on the drill. Once all the holes are drilled remove the seat and clean the area thoroughly, and the base of the seat.
Inject sicaflex in all the holes in the floor/deck and then join all the holes with a generous line of the sealant so that there is a continuous seal around the location.
Place the seat carefully on the sealant ,locating it with a couple of screws at opposite corners. Finally, screw in all the screws (with large washers) and clean any sicaflex that has been displaced from under the seat.
If there are loads of holes already drilled in the floor it is probable that the original holes were drilled too large and the screws have pulled out. If this is the case you can use these holes with larger diameter screws and washers. However, you would have to enlarge the corresponding holes in the seat base to accomodate the fatter screws. Hope this helps.
thanks for that. there was no screws when i got it. looks to me like it was glued down.

does the sikaflex cure fast or how long does it take ? do i have much time to work with it?
how difficult is it to remove if ever wanted to?

Old 05 March 2008, 16:50   #13

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Engine: Yam 2st 90
As long as you get the sealant and not the adhesive it does just that seals but is easy to remove in the future. You have quite a while to work with it and I personally would prefer to keep it dry for 24 hrs before immersion. If it's on the deck as in your case less than that should be fine.

Just watch tho' it is sticky stuff if it gets on your clothes while fresh out of the tube.

Ian
Old 06 March 2008, 03:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by walruz View Post
As long as you get the sealant and not the adhesive it does just that seals but is easy to remove in the future. You have quite a while to work with it and I personally would prefer to keep it dry for 24 hrs before immersion. If it's on the deck as in your case less than that should be fine.

Just watch tho' it is sticky stuff if it gets on your clothes while fresh out of the tube.

Ian
So how do you know which silaflex is adhesive and which is sealent?
does the sealent act as any bit of adhesive ? its just like ordinary silcone?
again would the sealent just with screws be enogh?
Old 06 March 2008, 04:15   #15

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Seats

Hi,

We removed our seats last season to remove a spare fuel tank so we have done this excersise.

without a doubt use adhesive sikaflex, the seat pods take a huge strain through the season and screws with normal sealant will not hold them in place

The last thing you want is the seat pod detaching from the deck in the rough.

We cut the sikaflex of the old seats so you can remove them it just takes a bit of time.

Hope that helps

Julian
Old 06 March 2008, 04:43   #16
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranp View Post
I have sikaflex also but just in case i ever decide to move the seat i decided not to use it.
I agree completely with Julian on this one.

Don't be deceived by looks. When seats are apparently held in place with self tappers, it should actually be the Sikaflex adhesive that is providing the holding power. Screws alone, or screws plus sealant, are not sufficient.

You certainly wouldn't be the first to make this mistake and it would probably be fine for a while -- but it's asking for trouble in the long run.

John
Old 06 March 2008, 05:42   #17

ok silaflex adhesive it is so with the self tappers. Silaflex the whole way around?
Do it as Cypman said...
Old 06 March 2008, 06:07   #18

Town: Inverness
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Phone Humber and get them to fax out the single sheet instructions for installing consoles/seats.
It gives all the details of materials and methods but basically it is SS self tappers at small intervals and sikafix adhesive to seal/hold.
I am sure if you called they would fax the instruction sheet out to you.
Old 06 March 2008, 12:31   #19

Town: Fleet
Boat name: Hudson
Make: Ribeye Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranp View Post
ok silaflex adhesive it is so with the self tappers. Silaflex the whole way around?
Do it as Cypman said...
Might also be worth your while masking off 2"-3" of the deck with wide masking tape around the joint area really close up to where the joint will be (e.g. leave no more than 5mm gap to where the joint will be). Also, similarly mask the bottom of the vertical plinth of the seat. Then, when you squeeze out most of the adhesive during the screwing down you can wipe excess from the fillet without spreading it everywhere. Makes cleaning up somewhat easier - that Sikaflex has a tendancy to get everywhere (especially if you are a little over-liberal in the initial application).
Old 15 April 2008, 15:55   #20

hopefully going to secure the double jockey to the deck this week.
Have 1 1/4 " ss self tapers and a tube of sikaflex.
Are the 1 1/4" tappers ok? Have washers also to put between screw head and seat flange.
painting the deck then after with international interdeck paint.