Old 13 August 2014, 18:39   #41

Length: 3m +
OK I know I should just let the crazy advice go but really fast advice that is plain crazy drives me mad.

Let's assume the rib is doing a perfect circle (I will argue that later) and is in a tight circle of 30ft. Swimming to the centre of the circle puts you at 15ft from the engine. Closer than you'd want to be but so be it. If the rib is doing 15kts its doing 25feet per second. At that speed it does 1 lap every 3.7 secs.

To be safely out the way of the engine you'd need to swim from the centre to a point at least 15ft further away from the radius. So you need to swim 30ft in under 3.7 seconds..

the world record for swimming 50m in a swimming pool in speedos is 21.3 seconds. That's from a standing start...

So you will have to be under water.

The OP says I'm more buoyant in sea in the tropics. I say that means I'll be struggling to get deep enough. Not to Menton the majority who don't post on here are not in the tropics, will die of hypothermia or cold shock.

At least of someone sees a circling boat 3 miles off shore I may be rescued. A head in the water 3 miles off shore... I'm screwed.

My partner open water swims. She isn't fast but faster than me. She can do a mile in 35 mins. So it'll take make at least 2 hours to swim 3 miles and that's without gear on.
Old 13 August 2014, 19:02   #42

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Old 13 August 2014, 19:20   #43

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
I think he's genuine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRider View Post
1)Boat out of control never just goes "around you". Its all over the place like in that video. If you are strapped in a life jacket, you are a sitting duck.
I've seen plenty of videos where it does. Other factors like tides and waves influence it...

Quote:
2)There are plenty of powerboat accidents and ship accidents in general where bigger boat runs you over. Diving helps, believe that. Look all people who didn't know what to do and just sat there like a deer in a headlights.
Examples required. Expect evidence that if someone dived they would have been killed / maimed if they hadn't.

I doubt anyone will be able to say how many times someone tried to dive and failed as they'll be killed...
Quote:
I used to kayak and much prefer to have life jacket next to me than on me. I kayak surfed and during wipe outs your kayak ends up 50 yards away from you when you surface. In a life jacket, you'll never catch up to it; without it it is very doable. Read #4.
So if I REALLY want to I can take my lifejacket off.
If I have my LJ beside me I can only grab it if I get enough warning. If I go overboard I don't get enough warning as othewise I just hold onto the boat...
Quote:
3)Salt water is higher density than you by a bit, so if you are in tropical climate like me with warm water currents, you have to really go out of your way to drown.
So unlike the majority of posters on here who are not in tropical waters and will be killed by the cold. Will tire from swimming in waterproof gear and drown.

But higher density makes it harder to dive.

Quote:
I fish within 3 miles of shore, sometimes 5 miles....pretty much the typical small rib offshore distance and drowning is not an option. Getting run over by a blind goon is a real concern.
I'm confused. You seem obsessed by being run over by blind people. Do you have something against the visually impaired?

The case in the example was not a boat collision it was a MOB.

Quote:
4) Looking like you are a fan of hypotheticals, if you are in a fast current offshore waters and your clumsy self fell out of the boat and the motor is not running, if you are a fast swimmer you actually stand a chance to catch a boat without life jacket. Not so much with life jacket.
Think MustRIB is the expert round here on this. He did debate taking his LJ off. Think we are all pleased he didn't. His PLB solved the problem... I'd rather use that option than the lifejacketless swim in a current...

Dented pride but alive vs Undented pride but possibly dead...
Quote:
I assume most people on here are not really good swimmers/divers, so life jacket might be a more practical alternative. Not wearing a life jacket in certain situation gives you a better chance to rescue yourself.
NO - most people on here are in cold water, in situations ranging from 3 miles off shore like you to 30 miles+ off shore. Most people here accept that if they hit the drink they may need rescued. Self Rescue would be nice. But being rescued is better than being found washed up 3 days later on a beach.