Old 07 January 2016, 14:20   #21

Town: Lusby, MD
Boat name: Bucephalus
Make: AVON
Length: 3m +
Engine: 6 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
1) In the UK used genuine Avon/Zodiac oars come on Ebay from time to time... their two part jointed design is useful. Otherwise just get an idea of oar length from those brochure scans and buy a pair of wooden ones closest to length.

2) In my experience Hypalon lasts very well just with gentle washing.

3) Personal opinion differs between folks. I think the ideal is inflated fully to shape but not up to full pressure and kept under a dustsheet. Not perfect for many though due to space taken so most are stored packed in their bags. I always wash and dry mine before packing and they will keep like new for a lifetime if looked after this way.

4) Guess as the patch isn't structural it's less crucial but I'd have used a two part Hypalon glue not a combined adhesive/sealer like 3m 5200 which I thought was more for fittings on a grp boat etc where gap filling properties were needed. Office888 will give best advice though.
Thanks for the info! I'm going to see if I can locate a pair of used oars on ebay or craigslist. I may just dissemble the dinghy for now. Is there any harm in keeping it semi inflated and upright on it's side or would the wooden floors / transom etc. put too much weight on the pontoon?
Old 07 January 2016, 15:23   #22

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
You see SIBS in dinghy parks at the coast where they are a bit soft, on their ends or sides and out in the elements month in month out... the Hypalon Avons seems to last OK for years with such abuse.

Not ideal but they stand it.
Old 07 January 2016, 15:26   #23

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstalker74 View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm going to see if I can locate a pair of used oars on ebay or craigslist. I may just dissemble the dinghy for now. Is there any harm in keeping it semi inflated and upright on it's side or would the wooden floors / transom etc. put too much weight on the pontoon?
For the logo:
Polymarine Hypalon 1 Part Adhesive

Or you can go local. You're near Annapolis Inflatables, who was / is a HUGE Avon / Zodiac dealer... Zodiac Milpro office (used to be the Rec office too) isn't too far away.

I prefer storing inflated, upside down. Just watch out for mice, and keep the wood off the ground.

Storing folded is fine, just be sure the boat is 100% dry. If you store it folded, again, watch out for mice. Storage in a climate controlled area is best. Keep it away from ozone generating devices to improve the longevity.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 January 2016, 16:45   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
For the logo:

Or you can go local. You're near Annapolis Inflatables, who was / is a HUGE Avon / Zodiac dealer... Zodiac Milpro office (used to be the Rec office too) isn't too far away.

I prefer storing inflated, upside down. Just watch out for mice, and keep the wood off the ground.

Storing folded is fine, just be sure the boat is 100% dry. If you store it folded, again, watch out for mice. Storage in a climate controlled area is best. Keep it away from ozone generating devices to improve the longevity.
I keep hearing about mice. Where we live there are tons of them. I'd lock my cats in the shed but they'd probably put claws through the raft.
Old 07 January 2016, 20:16   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
For the logo:

You mention keeping it dry. If I want to keep it semi inflated when not in use, will I still have to remove the flooring every time I use it to ensure the fabric underneath is dry? I know it has a drain hole in the transom but will that be enough to flush the water out?
Old 08 January 2016, 03:03   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
A couple of years ago I owned a mint one of these. Hypalon made and would last a lifetime.

A 6hp would be fine and should plane OK one up, perhaps even two up it light weight folks. 10hp would be a lot better though but they get much heavier usually.

Only downside for me was compared with a more modern design the tubes are small and the bow sits flat so they take on loads of spray/water when it's choppy. For their size they feel smaller to be in than the sort of designs that are common from around 2000 onwards.

This was mine and the Trem brand wheels I had fitted...
Fenlander, do you recall how much psi one should inflate in this model dinghy? I ordered the BRAVO 2 foot pump so hopefully, this will do the trick. I'm guessing I'll have to buy a gauge as well.
Old 08 January 2016, 09:04   #27

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Avon gave the acceptable tube pressure range of 2.5-3.5 psi with 3.0psi being the advised pressure... I still have this noted in the inside cover of my boats folder. I don't have the inflatable keel pressure noted but I have this feeling it should be at the higher end of the range so 3.5psi.

Yep you need a gauge but you will soon get a feel for the correct pressure once you know on the gauge when it's correct and how that feels.
Old 08 January 2016, 11:38   #28

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstalker74 View Post
Fenlander, do you recall how much psi one should inflate in this model dinghy? I ordered the BRAVO 2 foot pump so hopefully, this will do the trick. I'm guessing I'll have to buy a gauge as well.
Without a gauge, inflate until the point where you're jumping on the pump to get it to push air in. Inflation must be checked after having the boat in the water, as the cold water tends to decrease the pressure (Boyle's law!).

Reduced pressure will yield reduced performance, a boat that handles like a wet noodle, and possible damage.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 January 2016, 16:02   #29

Can anyone recommend a decent gauge for this model dinghy and pump (BRAVO 2)?

Tags
avon