Old 21 February 2009, 20:01   #1

Town: West Midlands
Length: 6m +
Looking for our first rib- Opinions Please

Hi we have just sold our jeanneau 925 due to lack of use, marina fees etc and are looking at buying a rib for a replacement. We are looking to spent around £15K on a used boat, one that has caught our eye is a Ribeye 650 2003 with a Yamaha 150hp 2 stroke 2002 - 224hrs, What do you think? is it a good setup would appreciate some comments from ribeye owners. Thanks
Old 21 February 2009, 20:26   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
this will probably make for an entertaining but not particularly informative thread!

You will need to bear in mind that those who own boats of any particular brand often believe (publicly at least) that their boat is the best... this works both ways so if a Ribeye owners says its great treat with some suspicion, likewise if someone who owns a "more bespoke" brand takes the piss.

quite a bit has been said in the past on ribeyes so use the search tool. from memory there is no one who has posted any horror stories.
Old 22 February 2009, 07:51   #3

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
i deal with all boats, my advise is try as many as you can before you part with your dosh, sometimes what looks lovely doesn't go lovely, usually the guys with bespoke boats have been down the road you are about to take and can afford to take the piss
Old 22 February 2009, 09:06   #4

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-b View Post
Hi we have just sold our jeanneau 925 due to lack of use, marina fees etc and are looking at buying a rib for a replacement. We are looking to spent around £15K on a used boat, one that has caught our eye is a Ribeye 650 2003 with a Yamaha 150hp 2 stroke 2002 - 224hrs, What do you think? is it a good setup would appreciate some comments from ribeye owners. Thanks
I like this Rib and having been out one one at Ribex thought it handled the solent chop very well. I also like the layout of the Ribeyes and the consoles.The yamaha is a popular engine and well proven.

If the boat is in good nick and the engine has been looked after I think you will be happy with this as a first RIB.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2009, 09:39   #5

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
i deal with all boats, my advise is try as many as you can before you part with your dosh, sometimes what looks lovely doesn't go lovely, usually the guys with bespoke boats have been down the road you are about to take and can afford to take the piss
Good advice from 'Biffer' I think,after all, we all found ourselfs in this position at some time,and I dont recall too many people saying they wish they took less time in makeing thier choice!.......look at,and try as many R.I.B.s as poss you should soon relise what would suit your needs......i.e Hull,engine type,power,seating,consul,trailer,ect.Then all you've got to do is Find it! It IS good fun though!!
Old 22 February 2009, 09:53   #6

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
this will probably make for an entertaining but not particularly informative thread!

You will need to bear in mind that those who own boats of any particular brand often believe (publicly at least) that their boat is the best... this works both ways so if a Ribeye owners says its great treat with some suspicion, likewise if someone who owns a "more bespoke" brand takes the piss.

quite a bit has been said in the past on ribeyes so use the search tool. from memory there is no one who has posted any horror stories.
Yep, I agree with above.
It would possibly be helpful to know what you require from your rib. The Ribeye tends to lean towards the squidgy seat, leisure end of the market.

If anyone new to ribbing asked me for advice, I'd probably send them in the Ribcraft direction. You'd be less likely to get it terribly wrong with an RC.
Old 22 February 2009, 11:14   #7
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I think it's hard to get it 'terribly' wrong with any 6.5m rib as long as you stick to major brands. However, there's a lot to be said for doing your own console/seating/stowage layouts.

As Maximus said-nobody seems to say they took too long at deciding

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2009, 11:22   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
I used a 650 sport for charter work for two years and it never let me down. I used it for The Solent area so it managed chop well. The 2003 model I guess has a track system to move the consul slightly and also I believe the pod seating. The rear bench seat would be a box which can be unscrewed and lifted out if you needed more room for a day or so. The three bench seat was very comfy at the stern. The Yam 150 four stroke is well proven and provided it has a service record probably will be good. Never let me down. I just sold a similar boat but 2005 model but the same track system and the engine had more hours on it but was sound and quiet.

If you have been on a Ribeye the tubes sit out of the water when stationary which is good for maintenance if left on the water. They sit down at the stern under power which then balances it. These 650's are a good family boat with options to use them for work.

As already said anyone who supports these will tell you the better stories and probably ignore any poor issues but for two years I was happy with it and only changed for a larger model. If you want more or ask about the boat you are looking at I am happy to tell you what I think so e mail me if you wish with the link to the sales page. It would be interesting to see what extras are included etc. All the best
Old 22 February 2009, 13:52   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
nobody seems to say they took too long at deciding
I know what you are saying but did Bruce Hawkster not used to complain that all the options / decisions and choices were off putting when he started and that what he wanted was a simple pre-formulated boat/package that was targeted at his needs.
Old 22 February 2009, 17:27   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
I think it's hard to get it 'terribly' wrong with any 6.5m rib as long as you stick to major brands.
I don't think so ( best said with a Geoirdie Accent!) does hull shape not come into it. Avon Adventurers do a 6.5 ish which is a medium to shallow V not a winner if your in a choppy Sea.

I think Ribeyes are punters boats they look nice and they come with all the trimmings but there truly are a lot better boiats out there. For 15k you could buy a proper rib. Is it a brokerage sale or private.

Yamaha 150 2 strokes if it's a 150 HPDI you are buying trouble (honestly!) if its an old technolgy 2 stroke your'e buying Petrol and lots of it. If it's a 4 stroke you are buying as C2 ribs suggests then then they are good engines.
Old 22 February 2009, 17:47   #11

Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
I don't think the second-hand RIB market is going to change much in the run-up to Easter, indeed , if the credit crunch has an impact it is probable that you will have a greater choice. Consequently, I would bide my time and explore the market further. Ask questions, view all the regular RIB sale areas so that you have a more informed opinion on your final choice. We will all tell you our best choice but it is YOUR choice that matters.
Old 22 February 2009, 17:52   #12

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
Yamaha 150 2 strokes if it's a 150 HPDI you are buying trouble (honestly!) if its an old technolgy 2 stroke your'e buying Petrol and lots of it. If it's a 4 stroke you are buying as C2 ribs suggests then then they are good engines.
Sorry I did not see that it was 2 stroke, I assumed 4 stroke.

What about this Shakespeare looks like a good deal to me:

http://www.rib.net/forum/attachment....4&d=1213044233

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2009, 18:11   #13

Town: Lymington
Boat name: rib-it
Make: Scopion
Engine: Suzuki 250
If you are in no hurry why don't you hire one until you find that perfect boat.

I am sure you will not have to look to far to find someone who will rent you a rib

www.rib-it.com
simonnud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2009, 23:15   #14
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
I don't think so ( best said with a Geoirdie Accent!) does hull shape not come into it. Avon Adventurers do a 6.5 ish which is a medium to shallow V not a winner if your in a choppy Sea.

I think Ribeyes are punters boats they look nice and they come with all the trimmings but there truly are a lot better boiats out there. For 15k you could buy a proper rib. Is it a brokerage sale or private.

Can't disagree with you there at all-and I did say hard,not impossible!

My point was it's not like looking for a sub-5m boat,rushing in and buying a Flatacraft Force 4 and expecting it to do what an Sr4.7 will.

Old 23 February 2009, 07:36   #15

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
chris,you could ask ribtec owners the same questions as both sets of moulds are owned by the same company
Old 23 February 2009, 13:03   #16

Town: West Midlands
Length: 6m +
Thanks for the feedback, you are right we don’t need to just buy the first thing we see and regret it at a later stage. Ideally we are after a something to spend the day on cruising and fishing around the Plymouth coast, but with the ability to take on a longer passage if required. We don’t really want to spend any more that £15k. Ideally the boat should be able to take an aux outboard. I’ve had a hard time taking the misses into buying a rib due to the creature comforts of our last boat, ie no toilet facilities for the ladies any ideas for that one?
Another boat which caught our eye was – http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/WAB064
What sort of range do you think the 76litre tank will give with that engine, this looks like quite a nice setup do you think it’s worth looking at for the money,
Thanks
Old 23 February 2009, 13:14   #17

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
I’ve had a hard time taking the misses into buying a rib due to the creature comforts of our last boat, ie no toilet facilities for the ladies any ideas for that one?
Hey - I work for a US investment bank ( doing all the boring stuff - so the whole downturn crap isn't my fault ) . If/ when I loose my job I'll sell you my Shearwater for a song - I'll even even re-fit the fully plumbed bog !

Seriously - take your time - try as many as possible & I can see prices dropping by the day so there should be deal to be had if you are in a good position.
Old 23 February 2009, 14:58   #18
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
, ie no toilet facilities for the ladies any ideas for that one?
It's quite possible to have a console large enough for a portaloo-take a look at Nasher's Ocean for example.While he jokes about it, it is feasable.
Granted, it's not quite up to the standards of a Merry Fisher 925 and it'll be a tad cramped, but it's far preferable to a bucket.

Old 23 February 2009, 16:18   #19
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
ie no toilet facilities for the ladies any ideas for that one?
Fit large davits to the deck with a the top half of a commode slung from it. Nature calls, winch 'em over the side

I think your in the hardest area of the market. If you've got 5 grand to spend, the choice is small and with a little research it's easy to find the right boat. 25-50 grand seems much the same. But in your price bracket there are quiet a few different combinations of boat and engine.
Best research you can do is to search the forums here
Old 23 February 2009, 16:30   #20

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Range

76 litre3s would be about an hour at full pop or maybe 2 and a bit hour cruising. you'd be lucky to see 60 miles that is presuming it's a 2 stroke the 4 stroke would be more frugal