Old 10 August 2018, 11:51   #1

Length: no boat
Looking for new rib

Hi all,
I am currently looking for a sailing club rib to be used for rescue, teaching /coaching, carrying marks, recovering casualties. Looking between 5 to 5.5 m with a 60hp outboard, seating driver and crew.

We currently have a tornado 5.1m from new in 97 and two XS 5m. The tornado is a excellent sea keeping boat in rough weather but we find the XS’s in rough weather are wet and constantly nose dive into waves. Our main aim is to obtain a sturdy RIB that handles well in all weathers, not a wet ride and is built to last. I have shortlisted a few that I think meet our requirements:

• XS 5.45
  • Humber Ocean Pro 5.3
  • Ribcraft 5.3
  • Tornado 5.4 (from China but little known about them)
Any thoughts,comments or past experiences, of any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10 August 2018, 16:34   #2

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny109 View Post
Hi all,
I am currently looking for a sailing club rib to be used for rescue, teaching /coaching, carrying marks, recovering casualties. Looking between 5 to 5.5 m with a 60hp outboard, seating driver and crew.

We currently have a tornado 5.1m from new in 97 and two XS 5m. The tornado is a excellent sea keeping boat in rough weather but we find the XS’s in rough weather are wet and constantly nose dive into waves. Our main aim is to obtain a sturdy RIB that handles well in all weathers, not a wet ride and is built to last. I have shortlisted a few that I think meet our requirements:

• XS 5.45
  • Humber Ocean Pro 5.3
  • Ribcraft 5.3
  • Tornado 5.4 (from China but little known about them)
Any thoughts,comments or past experiences, of any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I know it is a rescue boat but I would go more than a 60 hp on a circa 5.5 m rib. Something neared a 100 hp
Old 10 August 2018, 16:40   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Might be worth looking at Kraken since you liked the Tornado. They will be able to explain the heritage but essentially there is a family connection still building very “tornado like” boats in the UK.

I’m surprised the XS didn’t meet expectations - is it possibly badly rigged, or is it being driven by people who don’t know how to trim it properly?
Old 10 August 2018, 17:40   #4

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Agree with the recommendation for a higher hp, especially with more ppl on board. I would think something like a 90hp would work well.

I don’t have experience with the other boats but have a Humber Ocean Pro 6.3m and it’s handling in the rough is great!

Jonny
Old 10 August 2018, 17:42   #5

Breezeblock has a 1 year old 5.3 humber with a 115 4 stroke on it in classifieds just now that might fit the bill
Old 10 August 2018, 17:58   #6

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
Breezeblock has a 1 year old 5.3 humber with a 115 4 stroke on it in classifieds just now that might fit the bill
thanks for the plug Paul buy you a pint at Oban
Old 10 August 2018, 18:21   #7

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
If you can find a Ribcraft 545 you won't better it for the size
The 530 (especially in terms of Sea handling and comfort)really does pale in comparison

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 18:28   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post

(The 530 pales in comparison)

Agreed re the 5.3 v 545, but you'd need more than 60hp on the back of a 545. Even with my penchant for power, 60hp ain't near enough & it would be a pig with a small "P". Especially in heavy weather loaded with marks & bodies. I'd say minimum a torquey 90 or 115.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 18:52   #9

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Agreed re the 5.3 v 545, but you'd need more than 60hp on the back of a 545. Even with my penchant for power, 60hp ain't near enough & it would be a pig with a small "P". Especially in heavy weather loaded with marks & bodies. I'd say minimum a torquey 90 or 115.
Yep...I must start reading ALL of people's posts...

60 horses on ANY 5m pluss is going to be pretty pedestrian (at best!) with Driver + Crew" ?? How many do you have in mind?? ..
Even Before you start adding extra kit and casualties!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 21:58   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski View Post
I don’t have experience with the other boats but have a Humber Ocean Pro 6.3m and it’s handling in the rough is great!
I haven’t helmed an OP, but several years ago someone who really knew his Humbers implied that the Destroyer was the easier boat to helm for novice helms and the OP would give better performance/ride in experienced hands. Bearing in mind that most rescue boats are driven by people who are predominantly Sailors not powerboaters, it might be worth considering if they would find the Destroyer easier to get the best from. My gut feel would be the destroyer would need fewer horses too.
Old 12 August 2018, 22:38   #11

Length: no boat
Thanks for all the replies, very helpful especially regarding HP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Might be worth looking at Kraken since you liked the Tornado. They will be able to explain the heritage but essentially there is a family connection still building very “tornado like” boats in the UK.

I’m surprised the XS didn’t meet expectations - is it possibly badly rigged, or is it being driven by people who don’t know how to trim it properly?
We have the standard XS jockey console and single passenger seat. The only thing I can think of is that the anchor + chain, 1-2 25 litre fuel tanks are stored very close to the bow, maybe that is forcing the rib down into waves?? Regarding trimming we do have different experience levels within the group but even guys with 40 years of ribbing experience still nosedive and comment it is a wet boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
The 530 (especially in terms of Sea handling and comfort)really does pale in comparison
Does Ribcraft still make new 545's or it is just the 5.3 they now sell?
Old 13 August 2018, 11:05   #12

Town: Cambridge
Make: AVON
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke
Hi Jonny109,

I drive the safety boats at GWSC. We have 7 SR5.4s with Honda BF50s. Though we are limited to 50hp by Anglian Water, we can still get up to 27knts! I wouldn’t think you would need more than 80 if you are staying within a couple of miles of shore. We can cope fine in 60knt winds with our rigs.

Speaking of which, why isn’t a 5.4 Searider on your list? The flooding hull makes them perfect for a club Safety Boat.

Let me know if I’ve missed something,

Alex

Tags
rib