Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 17 April 2009, 01:36   #1

Town: Oregon
Length: no boat
Looking for/at a rib (Ribcraft 10.5)

Hey guys new to ribnet here and i got a few questions. First off im located on the west coast of the U.S. and have been looking around for a suitable Rib to dive and fish off that can handle the pacific waters. As i find it difficult to find good ribs for reasonable prices in the U.S. I have turned my rib search to the U.K. As I was cruising the British boat sites I came across this Ribcraft 10.5.( http://www.boatshed.com/viewboat.php...22_blank%22%3E ) It appears to be in good shape and have a good diving layout. My questions are: How sturdy and well built are ribcraft compared to other companies? How well would this work as a Dive boat? Any ideas on how on shipping or how much it might cost? And lastly is this a good price for this specific rib? any information you could provide me with would be great. Any recommendations for a boat and if anyone has any ideas im looking for a 23-35 ft. rib preferably with outboard(s) for diving and fishing. Thanks ahead of time for any help
Old 17 April 2009, 08:48   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Ribcraft are one of the most highly rated ribs, the build quality is superb. However, with out logging on, the only pic looks like a passenger 'trip' boat. It'll have rows of seats from helm to bow, that's why the helm is so far astern. Also, a single 250hp on a 10.5m rib is hardly enough.A pair would be more like it.
Old 17 April 2009, 08:51   #3

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
...Also, a single 250hp on a 10.5m rib is hardly enough.A pair would be more like it.

"2 x petrol 4 stroke 250hp, Suzuki 250 (2006)".......
Old 17 April 2009, 08:58   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
"2 x petrol 4 stroke 250hp, Suzuki 250 (2006)".......
Oh yeah. I thought that 44knts was a little on the optimistic side from a single.
Old 17 April 2009, 11:57   #5

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
I used to dive out of Portland (UK) on a 9m rib Ribcraft. Superb dive boat which would take 8 or 10 divers with ease. Twinsets flat on the deck in a line in the middle and divers sat on the very big tubes which are quite high off the deck so give a really good height to sit / lean against. Waves that would make a 6m rib slow down just passed underneath. The dive operator would run between 20 and 25 knots. Not fast but a relaxed ride out to the dive sites for paying passengers. If you can afford to ship and import it then deffinately worth a trip over to view. Take the additional seats out and give yourself lots of deck space.

Pete
Old 17 April 2009, 12:32   #6
wes

Town: St. Thomas
Length: 7m +
The price may look good but there are several things that you need to be aware and concerned about when you bring a UK built boat over to the US. It's not the norm to import a UK boat (though the reverse is true - most US manufacturers export to the UK). If I were you, I'd be concerned about the engines and their warranties. Most engine dealers won't touch them if they were sold outside of the country. It's even an issue with engines hung on boats built in Canada. This holds true with electronics as well. Further, the UK electricial systems are not to ABYC code. There could be a question about the trailer and whether or not it is road worthy in the US and able to get registered. Keep in mind the throttle is on the left side - a very un-natural feel in the US. Then there's freight. I suspect you're looking at $8500.

The UK tends to build RIBs with lots of wood. The stringers, transoms, and decks on most UK built RIBs are wood. While the US built RIBS do tend to cost more, they also use a lot more composites and build the fuel and electrical systems to a higher standard. They tend to be worth the extra money.
Old 17 April 2009, 12:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
The UK tends to build RIBs with lots of wood. The stringers, transoms, and decks on most UK built RIBs are wood. While the US built RIBS do tend to cost more, they also use a lot more composites and build the fuel and electrical systems to a higher standard. They tend to be worth the extra money.
I definitely question the above. I've previously owned a Rinker sports cuddy and a Sea Ray sports cruiser. Both had plenty of wood in them that was not of the best quality. I've seen nothing in a US built boat which betters the build quality of a Ribcraft.
Old 17 April 2009, 13:38   #8

Make: XS // Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: 60hp // 2x90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFlyanddive View Post
As I was cruising the British boat sites I came across this Ribcraft 10.5.( http://www.boatshed.com/viewboat.php?boat=64435&lid=1 )
That is Xtremes boat. used to be mainly used for trips in Cardiff Bay & Bristol Channel. It's a very nice boat.

But the others are right, it would be a pig to ship to the US, and that would be the start to your costs
Old 17 April 2009, 15:13   #9

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
The price may look good but there are several things that you need to be aware and concerned about when you bring a UK built boat over to the US. It's not the norm to import a UK boat (though the reverse is true - most US manufacturers export to the UK). If I were you, I'd be concerned about the engines and their warranties. Most engine dealers won't touch them if they were sold outside of the country. It's even an issue with engines hung on boats built in Canada. This holds true with electronics as well. Further, the UK electricial systems are not to ABYC code. There could be a question about the trailer and whether or not it is road worthy in the US and able to get registered. Keep in mind the throttle is on the left side - a very un-natural feel in the US. Then there's freight. I suspect you're looking at $8500.

US RIBs better built than British ones - now that's a new one!!!

There seem to be plenty of Avons in the USA still going strong after 20 years!!!

I don't know why you are so negative about everything. A shipping container will cost about $4000.

The main reason it's unusual for British boats to go to the USA is because of the exchange rate - the dollar is much stronger against the pound at the moment. Oh and British boats don't have enough cupholders!!!

With the cost of RIBs in the USA - even quite old ones - it makes far more sense to buy from the UK - as long as the exchange rate holds up!!!
Old 17 April 2009, 15:41   #10

Town: Lymington
Boat name: rib-it
Make: Scopion
Engine: Suzuki 250
wes you are on a different planet !

If the kiwis can build and export there Protector then why can't you export from the UK.

Maybe in the US you have got the best built boats but there is no evidence of US built boats in the UK up to the standard of Ribcrafts and that is coming from a Scorpion fan.

As far as I am concerned you can keep your far superior US built boats.

As far as shipping is concered it may be a bit big for a container but no reason why it can't go on the deck of a ship.

www.rib-it.com
simonnud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2009, 15:45   #11

It should fit in a container with the tubes deflated but you will need a cradle to be built for it - may be easier to ship as deck cargo.

Ribcraft will be the ones to ask.

Contact these people - very helpful and good rates.

http://www.seaportfreight.co.uk/
Old 17 April 2009, 16:54   #12

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
US RIBs better built than British ones - now that's a new one!!!

There seem to be plenty of Avons in the USA still going strong after 20 years!!!

I don't know why you are so negative about everything. A shipping container will cost about $4000.

The main reason it's unusual for British boats to go to the USA is because of the exchange rate - the dollar is much stronger against the pound at the moment. Oh and British boats don't have enough cupholders!!!

With the cost of RIBs in the USA - even quite old ones - it makes far more sense to buy from the UK - as long as the exchange rate holds up!!!
Absolutely, if the exchange rate is favourable then it would be worth shipping it over. The electronics are 12 volt same as US and the engines Suzis, well you could get them serviced anywhere in the world, a US dealer would probably be quite grateful for any work at the moment.

Pete
Old 17 April 2009, 18:15   #13

Town: Oregon
Length: no boat
Hey, thanks for all the information it helps a ton. Now i either need to buy this one or put up a new post on the wanted forum.
Old 17 April 2009, 19:07   #14

Town: Cowichan Bay
Boat name: Neptune
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Engine: twin140 suzi 4stroke
If you are looking to use it commercially the hull needs to be laid up in the USA. You can not import a vessel to use commercially in the States.
Old 17 April 2009, 21:06   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanEco View Post
If you are looking to use it commercially the hull needs to be laid up in the USA. You can not import a vessel to use commercially in the States.
How did the US Navy and coastguard manage with Avons?

I know the USA are well know for protectionism but surely that can't be the case? Most Hurricanes are built in Canada and Zodiacs in France.

I know for a fact Avon used to sell lot's of boats in the USA from Wales - unless things have changed in the last few years?

http://www.avon-workboats.com/
Old 19 April 2009, 19:53   #16

Town: Cowichan Bay
Boat name: Neptune
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Engine: twin140 suzi 4stroke
For COMMERCIAL (paying customers) use the hull must be laid up in the USA. It has been this way for many years. I don't think you can count the military as commercial. The coast guard and military use mostly safe boats now. Before that they used zodiac hurricanes. They haven't used avons for years.
Old 20 April 2009, 14:20   #17
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanEco View Post
For COMMERCIAL (paying customers) use the hull must be laid up in the USA. It has been this way for many years. I don't think you can count the military as commercial. The coast guard and military use mostly safe boats now. Before that they used zodiac hurricanes. They haven't used avons for years.
The most paying passengers he could carry in a UK built RIB would be six. Any more requires USCG Sub-T certification which you can't get on a UK built boat, only US. Tough to make money only taking 6 or less out at a time.
Old 20 April 2009, 14:22   #18
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonnud View Post
wes you are on a different planet !

If the kiwis can build and export there Protector then why can't you export from the UK.

Maybe in the US you have got the best built boats but there is no evidence of US built boats in the UK up to the standard of Ribcrafts and that is coming from a Scorpion fan.

As far as I am concerned you can keep your far superior US built boats.

As far as shipping is concered it may be a bit big for a container but no reason why it can't go on the deck of a ship.
Guess I struck a nerve. So sorry. But I stand by my comments. The wiring is better, the fuel tank access is better, the fuel tank ventilation is better. The regs are higher so the build quality is higher.
Old 20 April 2009, 16:29   #19

Make: ribcraft 7.85
Engine: 250 yam
ribcraft are built in uk and usa,
Old 20 April 2009, 16:35   #20

Quote:
Guess I struck a nerve. So sorry. But I stand by my comments. The wiring is better, the fuel tank access is better, the fuel tank ventilation is better. The regs are higher so the build quality is higher.
Not on the USA boats I have seen - we have to rip most of it out to meet UK specs!!!

And build quality higher??? mmmm

As to layup of the hull Grand Banks, Nordhavn and many other "US" boats are built in Taiwan!!!