Old 20 April 2009, 17:28   #21

Town: Lymington
Boat name: rib-it
Make: Scopion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
Guess I struck a nerve. So sorry. But I stand by my comments. The wiring is better, the fuel tank access is better, the fuel tank ventilation is better. The regs are higher so the build quality is higher.
You did not strike a nerve but I do wonder what you base this on the only US built boats I have encounter simply melted away in a couple of years.

Are there any US made ribs we should be comparing our own to?

And what British built ribs are you comparing with.

www.rib-it.com
simonnud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2009, 17:33   #22
wes

Town: St. Thomas
Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Not on the USA boats I have seen - we have to rip most of it out to meet UK specs!!!

And build quality higher??? mmmm

As to layup of the hull Grand Banks, Nordhavn and many other "US" boats are built in Taiwan!!!
Ribcraft USA builds in new England and Nautica in Florida. Don't think there are any others actually built in the US other then Noveria which is just a light weight yacht tender.
Old 21 April 2009, 01:07   #23

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
Ribcraft USA builds in new England and Nautica in Florida. Don't think there are any others actually built in the US other then Noveria which is just a light weight yacht tender.

But you said this

"While the US built RIBS do tend to cost more, they also use a lot more composites and build the fuel and electrical systems to a higher standard. They tend to be worth the extra money."

And now you say you don't think there are any others built in the USA...........
Old 22 April 2009, 17:31   #24
wes

Town: St. Thomas
Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
But you said this

"While the US built RIBS do tend to cost more, they also use a lot more composites and build the fuel and electrical systems to a higher standard. They tend to be worth the extra money."

And now you say you don't think there are any others built in the USA...........
RIB's don't have the popularity on the leisure side in the US as they do in the UK. As a result, there aren't that many companies that actually build in the US, most import (Protector, most Zodiacs, etc.) Several have tried to enter the market and no longer exist (like HBI, ARC to name a couple) - not because built bad boats but because the demand isn't strong. Brunswick has tried a few times. First with Valiant and now with their own brand but I don't think they are selling. Hurricane is a great, great boat but it's built in Canada.
Old 22 April 2009, 21:19   #25

The UK tends to build RIBs with lots of wood. The stringers, transoms, and decks on most UK built RIBs are wood. While the US built RIBS do tend to cost more, they also use a lot more composites and build the fuel and electrical systems to a higher standard. They tend to be worth the extra money. [/QUOTE]

So Wes do you still agree with the comment above.

RIB's don't have the popularity on the leisure side in the US as they do in the UK. As a result, there aren't that many companies that actually build in the US, most import (Protector, most Zodiacs, etc.) Several have tried to enter the market and no longer exist (like HBI, ARC to name a couple) - not because built bad boats but because the demand isn't strong. Brunswick has tried a few times. First with Valiant and now with their own brand but I don't think they are selling. Hurricane is a great, great boat but it's built in Canada.

Still no US built ribs in there all imported and probably stripped to meet the high standard the US require.

www.rib-it.com
Old 23 April 2009, 02:08   #26

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
US built ribs

Minor correction, if you please. First, HBI and ARC are still producing limited quantities of high quality ribs. Second, companies like Willard, Aquascan, Demaree Inflatable Boats and Otech all produce commercial and consumer boats. Ribcraft also produces their boat in Marblehead Ma. and Wing in CA is a major tube maker, they make many of the military tubes here.
So, yes, this isn't the UK when it come to builders and yes, ribs are used here more for commercial than consumer, but US is developing a growing base of rib builders, all making pretty high quality boats.

Bill
Old 24 April 2009, 00:19   #27

Town: York Beach
Boat name: Koho
Length: no boat
Beware of some UK rib builders, alot of them still use FRP or GRP fuel tanks that do not react well will with the gasoline in the US. In recent years the UK builders have made povision in the FRP(GRP) tanks to withstand the ethanol in US fuel. But will those povision withstand the US fuel properties ten years from now. An Aluminum tank will. I know for a fact that RIBCRAFTUSA uses AL. tanks made by a CE apporved company.

Also, you can always ask a sales manager at RIBCRAFTUSA if they can get a hull from the RIBCRAFT(UK) in a 10.5m. They could build the rib to your standards.

Not to sound like a RIBCRAFT sales person but I have toured their facility many times while purchasing tube supplies. And I definitly say they have stepped there game up in the last couple of years.

Another thing to think about is Factory support. If you live in CA but the RIB was built the UK who do call when your dog chew off the cap to your pressure relief valve?

Last thing, support your local economy, if you live in the states buy from the states.

Now I will step down from my soap box and apply Auroa to my tube.
Old 24 April 2009, 03:12   #28

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Is it any wonder us Brits get so annoyed by Yanks sometimes? I don't seem to remember any of us attacking US built RIBs but all of a sudden British RIBs seem to be rubbish and shouldn't be touched...............................

I don't think there are many British RIB makers who use GRP and yet loads of Yank boats do. Where do they get these ideas from???
Old 24 April 2009, 08:01   #29

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-8ft@38kts View Post
Beware of some UK rib builders, alot of them still use FRP or GRP fuel tanks that do not react well will with the gasoline in the US. In recent years the UK builders have made povision in the FRP(GRP) tanks to withstand the ethanol in US fuel. But will those povision withstand the US fuel properties ten years from now. An Aluminum tank will. I know for a fact that RIBCRAFTUSA uses AL. tanks made by a CE apporved company
Now we have discussed fuel tanks on here a few times but having had to replace an aluminium tank which corroded through I don't want another.

Quote:
Also, you can always ask a sales manager at RIBCRAFTUSA if they can get a hull from the RIBCRAFT(UK) in a 10.5m. They could build the rib to your standards.
Or we could answer the OP question about an excellent UK built rib

Quote:
Another thing to think about is Factory support. If you live in CA but the RIB was built the UK who do call when your dog chew off the cap to your pressure relief valve?
The vet

Quote:
Last thing, support your local economy, if you live in the states buy from the states.
Or buy a quality European product instead.

Pete
Old 25 April 2009, 03:27   #30

Town: York Beach
Boat name: Koho
Length: no boat
Pete7-

What happen? You didn't attack my last line regarding standing on the soap box.

Next time i will put a disclaimer before my post that reads: ***The following is the opinion of one(yank).***

Hey Limey's look on the brightside, atleast we are passionate about Ribs. Here in the USA when most people see my rib they assume its belongs to the military.

Again! Everything I just wrote is the opinion of one yank.
Old 25 April 2009, 07:50   #31

Hey Limey's look on the brightside, atleast we are passionate about Ribs. Here in the USA when most people see my rib they assume its belongs to the military.

What boat is it and have you got any pics of it.

www.rib-it.com