Old 05 December 2018, 15:33   #1

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Beryl
Make: Mercury Ocean Runner
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
Looking for advice

Hi Guys,
I am selling my Terhi 385 with an 8hp Mariner 2 stroke outboard, and am looking to upgrade to a RIB. I have been tempted to buy a package deal with a Mercury 420 Ocean Runner with Sport Jockey Console married to a 40HP Evinrude ETEC.
Has anyone had experience with either of these and if so are you willing to pass on your thoughts?
Many thanks, Sam
Old 10 December 2018, 21:01   #2

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
We've got a 2012 Ocean Runner 420 with a 30HP Mercury EFI and we absolutely love it. Cost £6.5K private sale I think it was a good price as it is as new with low hours on the engine.

If I was buying new I'd definitely consider the etec 40 as first choice, although I'm not disappointed with the Merc 30, it does 27 knots 2 up with dogs and all our gear and it's very frugal. Never used more than 20 litres running all day on our longest trip. Probably a 40 would gain an extra 5 knots but with worse economy. I do appreciate having a pull start in case there was ever a problem with the electric start, this is not possible with a 40.

The centre jockey seat storage is massive, I think this is better than the bench seat option, it probably gives better weight distribution and better handling. Was comparing to our neighbour's brand new Brig 420 with Suzuki 40HP and it was sitting VERY low in the water at the back. The Mercury looks far more balanced.
Old 12 December 2018, 19:57   #3

Mercury Ocean Runner 420

Here's some pics of our Ocean Runner rib.

I plan to get some 5mm tinted perspex and a hot air gun to make a small windshield. Has anyone done this before and if so do you have any tips?

Also, if you have a close look you can see the needle on the rev counter is at 1000 rpm. Can this be recalibrated or does the needle need to be pulled off and repositioned to 0?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180915_125505-1024x576.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	127964   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180622_195434_768x432.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	127965   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180622_195442_1024x576.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	127966  
Old 12 December 2018, 20:52   #4

As soon as you put ignition on the needle will probably goto zero.

Most gauges stick at idle speed when you turn off.
Old 15 December 2018, 07:54   #5

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
I think the rig the OP suggests will be a great set up and also a very good upgrade for you current 385. I have a 4.5 m rib with a 60 hp on and I love it and have gone quite far in her on some 'interesting seas'
Old 07 January 2019, 21:32   #6

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Beryl
Make: Mercury Ocean Runner
Engine: 40hp
Thank you all for your thoughts. We have taken the plunge and now have a Mercury 420 with a 40 Hp Evinrude to push us along
Old 07 January 2019, 22:24   #7

Great! Look forward to some pics?
Have you any additions in mind, bilge pump, instrumentation etc?
Old 08 January 2019, 05:58   #8

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wells View Post
Thank you all for your thoughts. We have taken the plunge and now have a Mercury 420 with a 40 Hp Evinrude to push us along
Well done Sam I am sure you will love it. Post some pics we all like to see pics
Old 08 January 2019, 13:31   #9

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Vega
Make: Valiant
Engine: Mariner 60 Outboard
I got tinted 3mm perspex cut tho the correct shape of the Internet, you definately need a heat gun to bend it, but be carefull not to get it too close or it will bubble and deform. Also don't drill it to the consol first as when you bend it the holes will be out of line.
Old 08 January 2019, 16:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega252 View Post
I got tinted 3mm perspex cut tho the correct shape of the Internet, you definately need a heat gun to bend it, but be carefull not to get it too close or it will bubble and deform. Also don't drill it to the consol first as when you bend it the holes will be out of line.
Comment appreciated thanks. Do you think 5 or 6mm would bend OK? I think it might be difficult if heat is conducted away more quickly than the heat source can supply. Maybe would have to use the kitchen oven to preheat?
Old 09 January 2019, 05:58   #11

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
I used an industrial heat gun carefully made a template out of cardboard copied onto the Perspex drilled a centre hole middle front of the console bolted it on then in situe heated and bent the Perspex slowly around the console for a neat fit then drilled two more holes each side as I was going .bolted using black plastic number plate bolts and nuts .warm the Perspex before drilling as my first attempt the drill cracked around the last hole as I was drilling polish the cut edges with either a small blowtorch to melt the edge (best practice on offcuts first) or as I did with p600 then p1000 wet and dry on a block then polish with g3.good luck have fun
Old 09 January 2019, 07:23   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Looking for advice

Somewhere on here you will find a guide from Nugent on how to make a really good job of a screen. I know at one point he was “taking orders” for screens but not sure if he still is. Search tool should find his tips/advice though.
Old 09 January 2019, 08:46   #13

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Vega
Make: Valiant
Engine: Mariner 60 Outboard
If you go on to "Simply Plastics" there is a page where you can specify thickness, colour and radius for the curves. I got 3mm grey with polished edges, 400h by 450w. The radius for the curves was 225 (half the width) The cost delivered was about £25.00.

3mm is very easy to bend, if you use the heat gun on both the inside and outside to evenly distribute the heat with the screen on the floor, you can bend it towards you a little at a time. I still need a stainless loop to go over it, as there is the possibility of someone grabbing it to steady themselves. Have got a picture of it fitted if that helps, not sure how to upload though.

Cheers

Chris