Old 13 January 2006, 05:07   #31

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Cookee's right about covers, it's amazing how quickly they destroy themselves once a bit of flapping starts. Covers are fine when the boat is not in use, but not really necessary when towing.

Old 13 January 2006, 07:57   #32
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee
Good advice about bearings, tools and grease, however, the AA will not to my knowledge cover trailers over a certain length, which rules out most RIBs worth towing any distance!
as far as I'm aware the RAC will cover most trailers- I got my van home via the RAC a while back and the guy said he had towed a 9m caravan back on his 7.5 tonner recently with the broken down tow van on the truck. Check up on that though, might be uk only-or a 'backhander'

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2006, 13:05   #33

Town: Cardiff
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp OB
I towed mine from Cardiff to Dover then Calais down through France over the Pyrennes and into Northern Spain.

The whole journey took 24 hours give or take but we had 2 drivers. We did have a stop for a couple of hours in a services at one point.

We didn't use a cover as I would have expected not alot to be left of it, as others have said.

Similarly to others I found staying awake easier cause of the extra concentration of being on the wrong (or right!) side of the road and the excitement of the trip.

Personally we used the toll roads as much as possible just for ease and they cost roughly 40 each way (if I remember correctly).

Was well worth the journey - as there were four of us in the car an in car DVD was very beneficial for the passengers (with 10 disks, each contaning 6 hours of TV!) as was a good satnav for the car (Paris peripheric was a bit daunting)!

Can highly recomend it, I will be doing it again.

Breakdown cover wise you need to be careful most will recover the car and the trailer, IF there is a fault with the car. However if there is a fault with the trailer there is a limited choice of who will recover it. At the time I used Land Rover Assistance who would and I now use Green flag who will (in the UK not sure about abroad). I have heard that through either the Caravan Club or Camping and Caravan Club you can get good trailer cover.)

You will also obviously need to talk to your boat insurers and car insurers to get the correct european cover / green card.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1787.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	16964  
Old 13 January 2006, 13:44   #34

Personally, dragging my boat across Europe is my idea of torture!! For me South Cornwall on a Sunny day is heaven and it's only 2m away. Not gloating, that's the upside of living down here. There is a flip-side as Shaggy touched upon re. house prices etc.
Old 13 January 2006, 14:07   #35

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
covers are fine on some hard boats as i always tow with mine fitted but it does not really flap around, however on the rib the covers are generally loose so will flap, perhaps put some protection around the screen for dirt and flies etc
Old 13 January 2006, 14:12   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
covers are fine on some hard boats as i always tow with mine fitted but it does not really flap around, however on the rib the covers are generally loose so will flap, perhaps put some protection around the screen for dirt and flies etc
But we're talking trans European towing, not from Jardon Towers down to the river!!
Old 13 January 2006, 14:22   #37

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
there was me thinking going north of the m4 or south of the m3 was like going to europe!

well we will be towing to yours in early june, with cover off, will yours be on the water by then or are you waiting till august for the 2 weeks of heat wave!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
But we're talking trans European towing, not from Jardon Towers down to the river!!
Old 13 January 2006, 14:45   #38

Ah, well, that depends on a number of things, the Rat breeding season, first cut silage, cow shit on the road. flat battery on fathers tractor and the roof still bein' on the barn. But, all being well I might get her out of the bloody barn by mid August!! Yep I'll be there, bin' checkin' out nitrous kits on Ebay for that blast from Meva to Fal. Good to have you back Chris, some of the upstanding members of this site tend to take it all rather seriously.
Old 14 January 2006, 06:57   #39

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Shiver
Make: Zodiac Medline II
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Re:

So who has taken a trailer licence?
Old 14 January 2006, 07:35   #40

Town: mansfield
Length: no boat
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper
My tips for long distance towing are to stay awake!!!! If you feel tired pul over and have a nap for 15 mins. Make sure the tow vehical is well ventilated, have a caffine based drink when you make a stop. When im driving the truck, I tend to move about in the seat. It helps to keep circulation going. No matter how much you want to get to your destination, it is better to arrive late and alive than dead on the road.

If you are taking your towing test, consider hiring a flat bed car trailer. Good stability and length.

As for towing covers, we dont tend to bother. I find they act like an air brake. If im going a distance, I will put some cling film round me screen to keep the flies and bugs off.

Martin