Old 12 January 2006, 18:03   #21

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2

The reversing is the hardest part of the trailer test-it's identical to the artic test.

Hint:- IF you're asked to provide your own trailer, the reversing part of the test is easier with a flatbed or low trailer- preferably one where the wheels don't stick out the sides.

Also bear in mind it's easier to reverse a trailer which has the axle far back from the drawbar. Short trailers, eg 6x4 goods trailers can be very twitchy going backwards, until you get a bit of practice with them.
Old 12 January 2006, 19:12   #22

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
And remember to choose a vehicle appropriate to the size of the trailer!!!

http://www.mattyorke.co.uk/gallery/funnies/caravan
Old 12 January 2006, 20:09   #23

Town: Brittany
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai
Also bear in mind it's easier to reverse a trailer which has the axle far back from the drawbar. Short trailers, eg 6x4 goods trailers can be very twitchy going backwards, until you get a bit of practice with them.
It may well be practice, but I found reversing a caravan much easier that my boat trailer and the boat trailer axles are much further back than the caravan.
Old 12 January 2006, 20:22   #24

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
It's all done with mirrors.
Old 12 January 2006, 20:23   #25
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan

By George, I think he's got it

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2006, 20:45   #26

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Engine: Optimax 225
And smoke

Quote:
Old 12 January 2006, 21:04   #27

Town: Cornwall
Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Quote:
Just use your mirrors and you will fail
Old 12 January 2006, 21:12   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by randski
Just use your mirrors and you will fail
Ah, Bob is here now. He teaches reversing, a true reversing pro. Anything you guys need to know about reversing, Bob's ya' man. Didn't mention bridges or Looe Bob.
Old 12 January 2006, 21:28   #29
RJH

Town: Southampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by allegria
Some questions about towing-

- Would it be realistic to tow from London to the South of France in one long stint?. I've done it by car - took 10 hours, no problem at all.
- boat covers for towing, can you get custom made/quality material covers which will last, if so please recommend. ( have seen covers shreaded when taken this distance).
- Towing cars what do people recommend?, for a 6m rib.
- other than- "don't stop on the autoroute at night because i'll be robbed"
any other bits of advice.

This will be for Summer 2006 probaly late June. You might want to bear in mind i'm only 19!.
My advice would be not to rush. Far better to take a little more time than risk problems or a fine! We towed a 6.5m rib down to Italy with some other folk from Ribnet (admittedly over the alps) but the length and weight still took some getting used to. Other guy also towing a 6.5m boat lost his clutch in the mountains (although may have been a fault to start with).

Motorways will be fine but close quarter manoevering takes its toll on a clutch so trying to get round narrow campsites or old ports could be expensive. Breakdown or recovery is a nightmare no matter how much insurance cover you have.

Get plenty of reversing practice - I can guarantee it will pay off. Whatever , taking your own boat abroad is great fun even if it is hard work so have a fantastic time.
Old 13 January 2006, 08:50   #30

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
The AA offer a european breakdown cover which might be useful if it all goes pear shaped. For the extra £75 per year (1998) it did provide peace of mind. They were also a good source of info ref additional kit to carry which some countries require by law.

Yep destroyed my first boat cover by towing it on a long journey (Stranraer to Pompey) so I now take it off. Also carried a couple of spare sets of bearings and some grease.

Pete
Good advice about bearings, tools and grease, however, the AA will not to my knowledge cover trailers over a certain length, which rules out most RIBs worth towing any distance!

Covers are a pain, and it's probably worth just covering up any bits that might suffer from water or dirt seperately for a long distance trip.

Towed the race boat to Italy and then on to Gibraltar and back home 2 or 3 times, and done a trip to Norway via Holland Germany and Denmark once as well!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2006, 09:07   #31

Cookee's right about covers, it's amazing how quickly they destroy themselves once a bit of flapping starts. Covers are fine when the boat is not in use, but not really necessary when towing.
Old 13 January 2006, 11:57   #32
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee
Good advice about bearings, tools and grease, however, the AA will not to my knowledge cover trailers over a certain length, which rules out most RIBs worth towing any distance!
as far as I'm aware the RAC will cover most trailers- I got my van home via the RAC a while back and the guy said he had towed a 9m caravan back on his 7.5 tonner recently with the broken down tow van on the truck. Check up on that though, might be uk only-or a 'backhander'

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2006, 17:05   #33

Town: Cardiff
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp OB
I towed mine from Cardiff to Dover then Calais down through France over the Pyrennes and into Northern Spain.

The whole journey took 24 hours give or take but we had 2 drivers. We did have a stop for a couple of hours in a services at one point.

We didn't use a cover as I would have expected not alot to be left of it, as others have said.

Similarly to others I found staying awake easier cause of the extra concentration of being on the wrong (or right!) side of the road and the excitement of the trip.

Personally we used the toll roads as much as possible just for ease and they cost roughly £40 each way (if I remember correctly).

Was well worth the journey - as there were four of us in the car an in car DVD was very beneficial for the passengers (with 10 disks, each contaning 6 hours of TV!) as was a good satnav for the car (Paris peripheric was a bit daunting)!

Can highly recomend it, I will be doing it again.

Breakdown cover wise you need to be careful most will recover the car and the trailer, IF there is a fault with the car. However if there is a fault with the trailer there is a limited choice of who will recover it. At the time I used Land Rover Assistance who would and I now use Green flag who will (in the UK not sure about abroad). I have heard that through either the Caravan Club or Camping and Caravan Club you can get good trailer cover.)

You will also obviously need to talk to your boat insurers and car insurers to get the correct european cover / green card.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1787.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	16964  
Old 13 January 2006, 17:44   #34

Personally, dragging my boat across Europe is my idea of torture!! For me South Cornwall on a Sunny day is heaven and it's only 2m away. Not gloating, that's the upside of living down here. There is a flip-side as Shaggy touched upon re. house prices etc.
Old 13 January 2006, 18:07   #35

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
covers are fine on some hard boats as i always tow with mine fitted but it does not really flap around, however on the rib the covers are generally loose so will flap, perhaps put some protection around the screen for dirt and flies etc
Old 13 January 2006, 18:12   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
covers are fine on some hard boats as i always tow with mine fitted but it does not really flap around, however on the rib the covers are generally loose so will flap, perhaps put some protection around the screen for dirt and flies etc
But we're talking trans European towing, not from Jardon Towers down to the river!!
Old 13 January 2006, 18:22   #37

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
there was me thinking going north of the m4 or south of the m3 was like going to europe!

well we will be towing to yours in early june, with cover off, will yours be on the water by then or are you waiting till august for the 2 weeks of heat wave!!

Quote:
But we're talking trans European towing, not from Jardon Towers down to the river!!
Old 13 January 2006, 18:45   #38

Ah, well, that depends on a number of things, the Rat breeding season, first cut silage, cow shit on the road. flat battery on fathers tractor and the roof still bein' on the barn. But, all being well I might get her out of the bloody barn by mid August!! Yep I'll be there, bin' checkin' out nitrous kits on Ebay for that blast from Meva to Fal. Good to have you back Chris, some of the upstanding members of this site tend to take it all rather seriously.
Old 14 January 2006, 10:57   #39

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Shiver
Make: Zodiac Medline II
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Re:

So who has taken a trailer licence?
Old 14 January 2006, 11:35   #40

Town: mansfield
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper
My tips for long distance towing are to stay awake!!!! If you feel tired pul over and have a nap for 15 mins. Make sure the tow vehical is well ventilated, have a caffine based drink when you make a stop. When im driving the truck, I tend to move about in the seat. It helps to keep circulation going. No matter how much you want to get to your destination, it is better to arrive late and alive than dead on the road.

If you are taking your towing test, consider hiring a flat bed car trailer. Good stability and length.

As for towing covers, we dont tend to bother. I find they act like an air brake. If im going a distance, I will put some cling film round me screen to keep the flies and bugs off.

Martin