Old 11 August 2011, 10:29   #1

Town: Oxford
Boat name: The Boss
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard petrol 100h
Lone launching and recovery

Has anyone got any tips for me to launch and recovery my rib from a trailer when alone? Usually have some sort of help even if it's the kids but might want to go out alone sometime
Old 11 August 2011, 10:35   #2

Town: Northampton
Make: RibTec
Engine: Outbaord mariner 75
I launch all the time on my own while the other half is getting her wetsuit on.

1 prep the boat before you get on the slip. saves time .
2 have a good look at the slip and morring options.
3 be able to back a boat and trailer with ease so get some practice in
4 have a good painter and stern line.
5 push the boat off the trailer and pull /push into where you need it.

simples. :-)

I keep meaning to put a vid together of me launching. Last time we were in Camber I launched single handed but I am used to doing it on my own as. even if i have the kids with me they usually jump in the rib on the trailer and sit in it while I launch it.

PM me any time if you want a chat

Jez

Old 11 August 2011, 16:00   #3

Town: Stranraer
Make: No Boat now
Length: no boat
Have launched and recovered single handed numerous times.
Come unstuck once when wind was blowing across slipway and I couldn't line up boat and trailer. Waves were pushing trailer sideways. Luckily somebody turned up to help. Am now more careful what to expect on return and would probably leave boat in nearby harbour until things quieten down in future. Have to watch for passing ferries causing large waves at anytime.
Old 11 August 2011, 16:11   #4

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
I Launch and recover mostly on my own whilst the wife sits having a coffee, or had decided it was too cold or too rough to come out.

Things are very different if you launching straight into the sea or do you have a sheltered slipway in a harbour etc.

I launch into a harbour so its relatively easy as its nice and calm and have places to more up when parking the car and trailer up. I do launch / recover very occassionaly straight into the sea if i'm going out a low tide, but should the wind be up it makes it a little more interesting.

Make sure you have everything ready and in the boat. I have rollers on the trailer so i simply reverse the trailer down, gather up a length of rope attached to the boat (not wrapped around hand) and release the back up chain, then release the winch brake. The boat simply rolls striaght off the trailer without issue, leaving me hanging onto the rope, enough to pull it round and tie it up. On returning i slip the winch on and simply start winding.

This thread may also be of use for when a friend got a larger rib and struggled. http://www.rib.net/forum/f49/launchi...ues-41581.html
Old 11 August 2011, 16:18   #5

Town: Anglesey
Boat name: Trixie
Make: Scorpion 8.5m
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp Suzuki
Depends on what size boat and the surface of the "slip way"... Its very easy with a smaller RIB and a nice soft sandy beach as you can semi-beach the boat and winch it on to the trailer easily... that stops the back end swinging in the wind... not as easy on a concrete slip I would imagine tho !
Old 11 August 2011, 16:33   #6

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978SeaRider View Post
.. not as easy on a concrete slip I would imagine tho !
Depends on the trailer, I can drive mine straight on to the trailer to the stop, then clip on the winch, jump off and drive away. (stopping to complete the strapping process in the car park).
Old 11 August 2011, 17:04   #7

All very good comments thank you, I have 2 worries really

1. When there is no pontoon etc to moor to and need to leave the boat at anchor
2. Leaving the boat at anchor at the bottom of a concrete slip and moving the car and trailer and taking far too long on the slipway getting in everyone's way!
Old 11 August 2011, 17:19   #8

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
If you have to leave it moored then just beaware that you insurance does not cover you for leaving your boat on its own.

I have never used the anchor method but i'm sure someone will give you some advice on it.

In terms of getting in everyones way, are there days that are less busy you could practice on, until you build your confidence. For us, height of summer on a weekend see's four cars side by side on the slip and boats queing up in the harbour, where as on a Monday there are one or two fisherman, thats it.

Also make sure your all prepared for launch and recovery before taking to the slip, ie remove all ratchet straps, load everything into boat you want etc.

Dont rush though just because others are waiting, its then you'll make mistakes and in this game as i've learnt, mistakes mean ££££££'s + a few more.
Old 11 August 2011, 17:31   #9

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
I wouldn't like to leave my rib unattended either, it takes quite some time to take the trailer back to the car park then put your wheel clamp and hitch lock on then trek back to the rib. A possible solution if on your own would be to get a tractor launch presuming some boat yard nearby does it. It would save a lot of hassle.
Old 11 August 2011, 18:19   #10

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Best advice for anyone is get a pair of waders
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02687.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	61564  
Old 11 August 2011, 18:44   #11

Totally agree with the points about getting ready away from the slipway, I do that when launching with family or friends, also note the valid point of not rushing and causing damage.

Like the waders and the tractor, still looks like launching with someone else is the easiest! Maybe I should put some more money towards boating and go for the dry stack, I think I'd end up using the boat more often aswell
Old 12 August 2011, 07:15   #12

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978SeaRider View Post
Depends on what size boat and the surface of the "slip way"... Its very easy with a smaller RIB and a nice soft sandy beach as you can semi-beach the boat and winch it on to the trailer easily... that stops the back end swinging in the wind... not as easy on a concrete slip I would imagine tho !
That's basically what I do - gravelly sand where I launch. You can beach it and lift the bow up as high as you can then drag it up the beach a couple of feet and it won't weathercock even with a fair breeze. Once the bow eye is hooked on and the rope is under tension that will hold it straight ahead.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote