MMSI: 235100718
Just in case anyone is interested:

What could be done to improve the LIBS?

vjmehra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2014, 07:27   #72
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Have it by the seaside. In September.

Joking aside, I'm not sure there's enough demand to support two large UK shows and people do seem to prefer Southampton, even though it's more difficult to get to for the majority of the population.

Shows have fundamentally changed now that we buy so much on line and get very competitive prices all the time. It's not just a boat thing, but is pretty much universal. We get "show prices" all the time so are less inclined to shop at shows. Retailers have tighter margins, and sell less when they do go to a show, but the costs are still high. The stand rental is just the start of it, then there's staff, accommodation, and lost production time in some cases.

I liked the outdoors show that they ran alongside the boat show for the last couple of years. It seemed like a good idea, but they've split them this time. Maybe we'll see them come back together next year.
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2014, 10:12   #73
Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
I must admit I like Southampton. However, if you want a winter show then jump on an Orange Bird and go to Dusseldorf, it is now definitely the best.
Cypman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2014, 10:35   #74
Town: Luxembourg
Boat name: Kalish
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175 Mercury Optimax
it s not the show's fault. i ve been to Shanghai boat show 5 years ago, today the show is growing and growing. the issue is that WE poor europeans are no more the biggest clients ...look at the Dubai boat show that was born only few years ago...just the same about races cowes still the biggest race spot ? compared to Quatar, abudhabi, etc, but for sure remain the best spot ! time is sad on euro waters !!!but some less snobish challenge gained some participants records ...
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2014, 13:48   #75
Length: 4m +
I've been at the show all week. Lots busier today. There was quite a buzz about the place with lots more people around. I think last week was too close to Christmas etc and the weather didn't help either.

There are some deals to be had but you've got to look hard for them. I went to one of the holiday companies to get a price for a holiday in September and they couldn't match their online price even with their 'show deal' and I can see why. I book it online and the whole process is automated and requires very little human interaction and I don't even have to leave the house. If I book it there at the show they have 20-30k cost of the stand etc to pay for as well as the actual holiday before they make any money so it's always going to be cheaper on line. With the growth of online shopping shows like this are always going to struggle.

Sent from my iPhone using
Freelance skipper, RYA Powerboat Trainer and Advanced Examiner
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2014, 15:01   #76
Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
I managed to get a pretty good deal today! I got a Raymarine A68 with EU cartography, down vision and transom mounted transducer for 870! Haven't seen the bundle online for anywhere close to that.

Just need to fit it when it arrives now! And then maybe advertise the Raymarine 435i plotter it's replacing.
There's weather out there - must be time to RIB!

(Or dive, or ref rugby, or.......)
Ovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2014, 02:26   #77
Length: 5m +
Rep who works for marlow told me it was down 17% attendence on last year!
jameswallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2014, 02:36   #78
Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
Wow, 17% is a big change, especially when you would have thought we had reached the bottom of the economy and have now started to climb back again.

Unless the organisors make drastic changes I cant see it continuing for much longer.

What was the change in the Southampton show ? Didnt it go up ever so slightly ?
Trimix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2014, 02:47   #79
Length: no boat
From my point of view with the last few times I have been, there just doesn't seem to be anything of relevance anymore.

I remember walking around earls court in ore going, wow, wow.
And twice I bought boats secondhand I had first seen at the show.

(I did order a new one once but refused to accept it when it was built because it was appalling, I have never seen rippily gelcoat before!! but that's a different story
Thank god the company are out of business now!)

But now at the boat shows there is nothing new or exiting and if there is anything of minor interest it's seems to be so much more expensive than they used to be!

This prob says more about me than the boat shows though!

Ribandmotorhome is offline   Reply With Quote