Old 14 January 2007, 18:24   #41
J S

Town: N.Wales/Southampton
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Anyone know what Avon are doing with the new hull design? Design innovation or gimmic?
Are the things ( No Idea what they are ) on the new avon hull designed to act like chines. They look really weird from the rear transom view.

James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00357.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	24203  
Old 14 January 2007, 18:47   #42

Town: Aylesbury
Length: no boat
From what I've seen before these 'fins' (someone here must have the proper name!) are normally added to aid stabilty in turns and add lateral grip in the water. I've seen a lifeboat with similar, but longer versions which run like a chine, right to the bow. I once had a 15ft dory with a similar looking design to the Avon, the result was that it went round corners like it was on rails and didn't bank over at all. Although RIBs don't bank over as much as hardboats anyway because of the air in them?!

It would be interesting to hear what the manufacturer or someone who has had a go says these do to enhance the boats handling.
Old 14 January 2007, 20:01   #43

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
I would have thought that they help lift the stern on to the plane and add directional stability?
Old 14 January 2007, 20:17   #44

yes, i'd guess they also pocket the water increasing hydro dynamic lift raising the stern/keeping the bow in place - probably means the boat will sit nicely on the plane (and plane at lower speeds) and none of the owners will be moaning that they need trim tabs!
Old 14 January 2007, 20:25   #45

Just found this from the Avon press release on their website:

I was right(ish)

"ARE YOU READY FOR THE NEW ADVENTURE?
The Avon Adventure 580 Open can be seen for the first time at the Show. Created as the replacement for the successful Open 560, the pulse-racing Adventure Open 580 has a number of new features including a brand new hull.

The Avon Adventure hull is renowned for its performance and the new 580 is set to take this to a new level, as the model features an optimised hull, thanks to a combination of innovative techniques from the market leader. Its two lateral transoms, located in the rear third of the craft, allow the comfort associated with a deep V, combined with the performance, stability and handling of a catamaran hull. By reducing the wetted surface and friction at high speeds, these transoms allow the craft to reach top speeds in complete safety and control. They also serve to limit the amount of lean on the boat when breaching."
Old 15 January 2007, 00:12   #46

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Water wings

Dont know about you guys but it looks like shallow v to me. If they do work I guess they cushion the "landing" of boat by trapping air with water to avoid slapping of hull stern? Did you ever get the feeling that its like washing powder. They have been lying to us all along saying this is the whitest thing since Julie Andrews, then some clown comes out with a "blue white" I wouldnt mind but whilst all these companies are bring out the latest in competition, little do we all know that they are all "Lever Bros" as in the same company. Its like Car Tyre threads, surely there must be "one best Thread" that works the best and stops the car in UK/Ire Weather.

Anyway, this is the first year that I missed boat show in many years. Two different dealers had said that they were not going bother, so I thought "why would I". I am going to go to Ribex instead God willing. It seems sunnier and the people there seem friendlier.
To be honest, I fel sorry for many of the Sad Bast..ds there. There are some notible exceptions and I agree with the Suzuki being one of the best stands to visit.
There is a Tech on that stand (last year)who gave me much time and I appreciate his input.
I went skiing instead this year and had the holiday of my life and I am delighted that I did not go to the show. I skied (skid more like) down Blue and Black slopes (the colour now of my Ar..e) with my sons and I was most proud that not only could they ski but so could I still...
I will go to Ribex(still sounds like a condom).
Is there accommodation on Isle of Wight for it?
Old 15 January 2007, 09:31   #47

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Quote:
Anyone know what Avon are doing with the new hull design? Design innovation or gimmic?
It certainly looks interesting.
Old 15 January 2007, 20:36   #48

Boat name: Emperor
Make: Scorpion
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 200hp
Send a message via MSN to Millermob
Thanks for the pictures GuyP, that Ribcraft most be good not sure on the colour scheme though, wonder how fast it goes and how much it costs?

Not really keen on that rib by white Shark, bit iffy.

Cheers Freddie
Old 15 January 2007, 22:05   #49

Town: Fareham
I tend to agree that the hull is a medium or shallow V from the pictures and I guessed that the cat hulls where to bridge the gap between performance, handling and rough water Sea keeping.

I kind of feel though that this design has been used to help make their new RIB look different from anything else on the market and as such is a gimmic rather than a design breakthough. I might be wrong though!! I'm sure I've seen a picture of an older RIB on RIBnet or Boats and Outboards use a similar design and if it was that good, would be used on all boat designs.

Be interesting to hear from anyone that gives it a Sea trial.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2007, 08:57   #50

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermob View Post
Thanks for the pictures GuyP, that Ribcraft most be good not sure on the colour scheme though, wonder how fast it goes and how much it costs?
Cheers Freddie
Yeah, sorry the pictures weren't better quality. I think the 750 Sport was about £42k with the 300hp Suzuki. I agree about the colour scheme, it looks better in blue.
Old 16 January 2007, 15:02   #51
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
I'm sure I've seen a picture of an older RIB on RIBnet or Boats and Outboards use a similar design

Are you thinking of the Blagg Bosun?

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...ht=blagg+bosun

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote