Town: Luxembourg
Boat name: Kalish
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175 Mercury Optimax
RIBase
***london***

Hi folks,

I'm organizing a week end trip fron Nieuport in Belgium to London, to see the depart of the Venture cup.
Do you know where can we leave 4 or 5 ribs in London? is it possible to find some petrol on potoon ?
Do not hesitate to add some additionnal details for cruising on thames river.
thanks in advance
gilles
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2014, 19:50   #2

Town: London
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Hi folks,

I'm organizing a week end trip fron Nieuport in Belgium to London, to see the depart of the Venture cup.
Do you know where can we leave 4 or 5 ribs in London? is it possible to find some petrol on potoon ?
thanks in advance
gilles

Your best bet is Galleons Point Marina, the other options (St Katherine's, Limehouse, South Dock and Imperial Wharf) are likely to be booked up already or maybe try getting in touch with zeroth or Greenwich yacht clubs. That said none of them have petrol unfortunately.

Have you considered The Medway instead? It's far friendlier for ribbing and the marinas have petrol! Also it means you can pop round to Southend for the 'proper' start, rather than the parade from Greenwich.
Old 10 April 2014, 20:36   #3

RIBase
thanks for your reply. as I never been with my rib to London, I would like to mix the race and the sightseeing. Medway is maybe a bit too far and as i will only spend 1 night in London, I m ready to pay the expensive fee of St Katehrine's marina. Are you saying that this marina will probably be full ? do you have the dates of the race ? parade date, are they racing on the river ? Fuel wouldn't be a big issue, we could refuel at ramsgate.
Old 10 April 2014, 20:51   #4

Quote:
thanks for your reply. as I never been with my rib to London, I would like to mix the race and the sightseeing. Medway is maybe a bit too far and as i will only spend 1 night in London, I m ready to pay the expensive fee of St Katehrine's marina. Are you saying that this marina will probably be full ? do you have the dates of the race ? parade date, are they racing on the river ? Fuel wouldn't be a big issue, we could refuel at ramsgate.

St Kats is a nightmare to book at the best of times, there's a very good chance it is already full!

The Venture Cup website has the details here:

http://www.ventureoffshorecup.com/category/news/

They are not racing on the river, it's sort of like an extended parade lap in Formula One terms, last year it was very underwhelming!

Also it's worth noting that since 2012 the PLA have ruined the river for leisure boaters, so don't expect to go above 12 knots!
Old 10 April 2014, 21:49   #5

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Yes it's true the speed limit might have made it less fun, I haven't been back since so I can't directly comment.

The sights are still amazing.

No petrol at all. It's not possible as far as I know, except to detour up the Medway as people have suggested but it's quite a detour. I will help you in ramsgate (you don't need help, but this is my home marina so I will tell you anything you need to know)...

Gallons point marina is a good choice for 4-5 ribs, but it's a long way from Central London. In the middle of nowhere unfortunately.

Your problem is a large group

I always used chiswick pier. A little out of Central London but helpful, and 24hr access. A short taxi back into London or to b&b / places to eat. With 1 or 2 RIBs I never had a problem, just turned up. You should try to contact them about 5. I will help if you need me to just ask.
Old 10 April 2014, 21:51   #6

What dates are you proposing? Is it 1-2-3-4 may? I checked your old post. Or 7 June (I checked venture cup website now...)
Old 10 April 2014, 21:54   #7

RIBase
i Need to check the email i received from Richard, working for the Venture cup. to make sure that we can see those crazy boats on water ! my goal was to cruise with them, as they re not racing on the river until the sea. than crossing back to Belgium with a stop at Ramsgate probably.
Old 10 April 2014, 22:00   #8

RIBase
thanks Daniel for your help. I love Ramsgate, we re crossing the channel every year with our rib association for now more than 40 years ! ribbing from Ramsgate to London and back wont be an issue for me. Gallons, could be an alternative, but i'm afraid that we'll miss the main spot which is London. is there any B&B around ? what about the speed on the river... we can cruise at a good speed before arriving in London or ... from the delta to the city ?
Old 10 April 2014, 22:11   #9

RIBase
daniel, i know that a trip has been organized next week end from brussels to london. i will be their on the 6,7,8th of June.
Old 11 April 2014, 14:53   #10

Town: Ardmore
Boat name: Wavehopper
Make: Cobra 6.65 HD
Engine: Yam 150 hpdi
Hi Gilles,

The fleet will be launching from Greenwich Yacht Club on Wednesday 4th June and then making their way up to St Katharine's Dock. I'll ask our contacts there about trying to squeeze you in and come back to you.

The best/only option for petrol would be Denton Wharf at Gravesend.

The fleet will be leaving St Katharine Docks from 0800 on Saturday 7th and will then do a fast pass across the ceremonial start line in Greenwich at 0900. We've been given special permission from the Port of London Authority to run at over 50 knots. The fleet will then proceed, at speed, down to the full startline in Southend ....do a parade in front of the Pier, and start fully at approx 1100.
Old 11 April 2014, 18:08   #11

I would like to try to join you Gilles, from RAMSGATE. So perhaps 6 RIBs ?
Old 11 April 2014, 18:52   #12

RIBase
Hi Blimp,

Thanks for this. can t wait for your feedback. let me know asap or i will start to contact marinas. petrol won t be such an issue, we ll stop at Ramsgate or Medway as metionned by VJ. will probably be Medway. we ll make us a shortcut.
hope to meet you their !
Old 11 April 2014, 23:55   #13

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
Your best bet is Galleons Point Marina, the other options (St Katherine's, Limehouse, South Dock and Imperial Wharf) are likely to be booked up already or maybe try getting in touch with zeroth or Greenwich yacht clubs. That said none of them have petrol unfortunately.

Have you considered The Medway instead? It's far friendlier for ribbing and the marinas have petrol! Also it means you can pop round to Southend for the 'proper' start, rather than the parade from Greenwich.
Seems that this idea is really interresting. do you know if the Gillingham Marina is the first one, on the river coming from the thames having petrol on pontoon ? I think that this will be our option when crossing to London. fuel stop there and ribbing than to London. and cruising back we ll stop at ramsgate. great thanks for the info !!!! really appreiate
Old 12 April 2014, 00:06   #14

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
I would like to try to join you Gilles, from RAMSGATE. So perhaps 6 RIBs ?
I Like. Just to inform you, we'll cruise as a flotilla at an average speed of 22 kts. I think that we'll cross directly to Gillingham Marina to refuel. after a lunch break and the refuelling will cruise to London. spend a night in the city. and leave London the next morning around 8 with the speed boats to Ramsgate. overnight and crossing back to Belgium. You re more than welcome !
Old 12 April 2014, 00:09   #15

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by blimp View Post
Hi Gilles,

The fleet will be launching from Greenwich Yacht Club on Wednesday 4th June and then making their way up to St Katharine's Dock. I'll ask our contacts there about trying to squeeze you in and come back to you.

The best/only option for petrol would be Denton Wharf at Gravesend.

The fleet will be leaving St Katharine Docks from 0800 on Saturday 7th and will then do a fast pass across the ceremonial start line in Greenwich at 0900. We've been given special permission from the Port of London Authority to run at over 50 knots. The fleet will then proceed, at speed, down to the full startline in Southend ....do a parade in front of the Pier, and start fully at approx 1100.

ok thanks, i'm afraid that if the fleet is cruising at 50 kts i won't see them that much
Old 12 April 2014, 08:19   #16

Length: no boat
RIBase
Quote:
Hi folks,

thanks in advance
gilles
Can I make three suggestions. Contact the Hurlingham Yacht Club in Putney. They have a clubhouse on the Putney side and on the Wandsworth side they own the latest pier / pontoon built on the Thames. Room for about 30 boats. They are a friendly bunch of Thames boaters who may help you with moorings and advice.

Also Chas Newens Marine in Putney have always been very helpful to me coupled with Chris Livitt - they own a number of pontoons on the Thames including the big one on Butlers Wharf by Tower Bridge - they used to let me park there for a small fee so we could go to the restaurants.

Lastly Imperial Wharf, Cadogan Pier and Chelsea Harbour all have harbour masters and pontoons - all possible parking areas by arrangement. The Thames is a funny place to cruise with 'elf and safety now curbing your leisure activity. I kept a Rib on the Thames for a number of years and eventually found many places to park up after getting to meet people on the river. In the city areas you get a good deal of hostility from the commercial passenger boats. If you go further up towards Richmond you will find calmer waters, better pubs and attractive back waters. The city area is spectacular but you must know the rules and be very aware - strong currents and nasty sharp areas to damage your boat!
Old 12 April 2014, 10:45   #17

RIBase
thanks for your advise.i already sent a mail to St katherine docks. we ll be very carreful on the river, we won't spend that much time in the city centre. it's more for the " we have been to London". i know that we'll misss a lot as areas after and before, and all other small rivers a much more interresting. but i will probably come back !
Old 12 April 2014, 13:36   #18

Town: Ardmore
Boat name: Wavehopper
Make: Cobra 6.65 HD
Engine: Yam 150 hpdi
Gilles - here's a suggestion.

If you guys were prepared to operate as 'official safety boats', following the fleet downriver, then we could possibly get you into St Kats as part of the official structure. All we'd need to do then is give you guys a briefing and some gear.
Old 13 April 2014, 14:53   #19

Quote:
Seems that this idea is really interresting. do you know if the Gillingham Marina is the first one, on the river coming from the thames having petrol on pontoon ? I think that this will be our option when crossing to London. fuel stop there and ribbing than to London. and cruising back we ll stop at ramsgate. great thanks for the info !!!! really appreiate

I believe Gillingham is the first with petrol yes.
Old 13 April 2014, 15:02   #20

I have had trouble obtaining petrol at gilingham (more than once no one there or no answer to VHF) I suggest you email or call them first.

If there is a problem Chatham is "next in the left" but you have to lock in. They have petrol.