Originally Posted by jambo
Hi Neil think you've picked a good weekend for it. I pass it often going to the West but never use it prefer the sea! Hadd goes often and Poly and Davie use it frequently you should contact them for the places. I know there are many and you will not be dissapointed as most Hotels have jetties.
Actually I've not been for a few years. But, here are some observations:
- this time of year is a good time to go, the usual peak periods are when you get the Glasgow neds around the loch, its too cold for them now!
- not everywhere will be open this time of year but I think you should have no problems at the Drovers (very top of the loch) or at the Inversnaid hotel (North East side, has its own little harbour). I've not been to either for a while so can't comment on food etc.
- The pier in Tarbert provides somewhere to get ashore (I had a "life saving" bacon roll and coffee one very cold January!). The tourist boats probably aren't running but if they are then pick a spot sensibly where you don't upset them.
- At the other end of the loch, Luss itself never impresses me - but you will get good food at the Lodge on the Loch. I've never arrived by boat - but you could probably park right on the beach there (beware the seaplane used to use that area so make sure you aren't going to be in the way).
- The island closest to Balloch has a "hotel" which serves food. it has a "pier" and is OK. It may not be open in Feb?
Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick
Off to register soon, thanks for all the advice
. We will buy the nav chart it's £12, hopefully that will pinpoint all the recommends. I'll post some pics all being well. Lot of mist at the moment but its forecast to burn off by 12
At this time of the year the rangers are usually very friendly and helpful they may provide other suggestions.