Old 16 August 2001, 16:59   #1

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Local Knowledge

Is there any system/database etc for facilities in different areas around our coast. For instance I live in Birmingham bue we have a house (a fisherman's cottage) up on the Moray Firth in the Scottish Highlands. I use my 3.4m inflatable with 15hp engine in the Moray Firth, The Cromarty Firth and the Dornoch Firth. I have found some good places to launch etc, and I have local charts. I know good places to stay and hidden bays etc. I could pass this knowledge on to others.
This must be true of thousands of boat owners and users aroound the UK. If there was some sort of local list you could perhaps contact by e-mail and get some local knowledge to hep find a place to launch etc?
I am off up there again next month, anyone fancy a meeting for some coastal exploring?
Old 17 August 2001, 07:10   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Have a look at http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk

It's a rapidly growing database of launch sites, backed up with lots of local information about the sites.

At the moment there is no way of volunteering to be a "local guide", but it might be a good idea for the more remote locations.

John
Old 17 August 2001, 17:24   #3

Town: Ardnamurchan
Boat name: Out of the Blue
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100
MMSI: 235 079 253
If anyone wants to volunteer to act as local guide, I will happily post details on the relevant launch site page. Also we list a lot of other information about the launch sites, such as good pubs and anything else that is important to people who want to launch a boat.
All contributions gratefully received and you get a free launch guide into the bargain!
Geoff Campbell www.boatlaunch.co.uk

[This message has been edited by geoff (edited 17 August 2001).]
Old 18 August 2001, 06:01   #4

I've just taken a look at www.boatlaunch.co.uk, what a great site, just what I wanted. I did notice that details up in the Scottish Highlands are a bit sparse however. I will be up there again in September and now I know the format for details required I will be getting all the details required for the sites that I use to launch. There are some famtastic locations on the coast up there, it's great for exploring. Every boat owner should have 'boatlaunch' in their 'favourites'.
Thanks.
Keith Hart
Old 25 August 2001, 07:47   #5

Hey, Boatlaunch UK is great. I looked up the site at Kylesku and went to their web page link. There was a boat for sale so I guessed the owner knew a bit about the local area, so I e-mailed him asking for any advice etc. I received back a very comprehensive and helpful e-mail about conditions up in the area. As a result I shall be going there in September when I am in the area.
Thanks