Old 31 May 2008, 18:02   #1

Town: Donegal
Boat name: Grey Seal
Make: Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: 254HP
Lobster pots troubles

Hi all
I'm just in from a run around the bay (Donegal) and I can't belive the stupidy of those people that think its ok to put 30m of rope accross the top of the water with a milk carton or little net weights tied to the end.

I know nothing about lobsters or whatever there trying to catch but its seems they are allways placed in the channel which of course is the problem.

Someone died a few years ago up here because the prop got cought in a rope and it dragged the stern down, mixed with engine weight and no doubt lads trying to free it. Anyway she sank and one died.

It make night, fog, rough('cause you can't see there stupid bouys) boating completely impossible.

Is there a law against where they can place them.?

To be honest if I knew I wasn't coming back 'till after dark. I'd have no choice but to cut the dam lot on the way out as there is 95% chance i'd snar one on the way back.

K Rant over.

Gary
Old 31 May 2008, 18:15   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I'm not aware of a law governing their placing but I agree with your sentiments. You can report badly marked pots to the RYA; they are making an issue of it. I believe there's a place on their website for reporting.
Old 31 May 2008, 22:57   #3

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I was diving off a large hardboat last year which had a call to a diving emergency in the middle of the day south of the North Channel.
Passing down the coast off Ireland the prop snagged a long rope left floating loose off a pot. The rope was floating rope left on the surface loose from one of the up lines. Not only did it stop the boat responding to the lost diver but it left us almost up s**t creek. The sea was quite rough and the boat couldn't move for over 1.5hrs, all during which the boat was being pushed towards the shore.
It was finally cut out and the prop freed with great difficulty and at some danger to some of the party diving underneath a rapidly bouncing 75 ton boat before we ended up on the shore.
I bet the guy always wondered what happened to his gear as usually if they lose both bouys a grapnel across the bottom line will usually recover it.
We had dragged the whole line of pots about 1.5 miles towards shore while disabled and for good measure cut both uplines trying to free the boat. Obviously we weren't in the mood to retie them back on by the finish.
I don't mind pots but I do mind floating lines and milk bottles marking the uplines, these are asking for trouble.
Old 01 June 2008, 01:19   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Thought it was illegal to use floating line on pots?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2008, 08:21   #5

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Thought it was illegal to use floating line on pots?
isnt there a lobster pot help line in the solent to report troublesome pots!
Old 01 June 2008, 15:54   #6

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Crabpots are a nightmare at night. The inshore pots down this way tend to be set by dare I say it, less professional small 'day boats'. The bigger commercial guys use multi-pot line systems which are well marked due to the value of gear lying on the sea bed. What pees me off is the random single pot dropped right in the middle of a well used port to port course with a milk can marker. They deserve the chop. (after being checked for crabs).
Old 17 June 2008, 17:52   #7

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
and all it needs is a small wieght about 2 or 3 mtr down from the bouy to stop most entanglements, and will agree it seems to be the amateurs that set there markers that way ,and just be wary if you do decide to pull on someones marker line or if you get one around your prop a few set old fishing hooks in certain sections of line to deter others pulling them up .
Old 17 June 2008, 19:59   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
I'm not aware of a law governing their placing but I agree with your sentiments.
JW I am fairly sure there are local bye laws in many harbour authorities which would preclude placing of pots in channels (obstructing,being a hazard to navigation) and even in some cases banning poorly marked pots.

Gaelmart - if there is a local harbour master - that is where I would channel my complaint. How sympathetic he is may depend on who pays him more leisure sailors or fishermen.
Old 17 June 2008, 20:34   #9

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
JW I am fairly sure there are local bye laws in many harbour authorities which would preclude placing of pots in channels (obstructing,being a hazard to navigation) and even in some cases banning poorly marked pots.

Gaelmart - if there is a local harbour master - that is where I would channel my complaint. How sympathetic he is may depend on who pays him more leisure sailors or fishermen.
I think that all fishermen doing that type of extraction activity should be registered at the local harbor, and the ones not using a proper visual size buoy be heavyly finned for being a real danger to navigation. Other hazzard activity is compressor diving, lenghts of hose meters from compressor to diver and no marking buoys on the floating hose line between them.

Happy Boating
Old 17 June 2008, 21:21   #10

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
The fishermen will always get priority as they make the most noise and are there all year round. They usually prop-up the bar with the HM guys also.

Even 'Pontoon Pete' the legendary hire boat operator at Mylor Harbour creeps up the arses of the local fishermen.
Old 18 June 2008, 14:10   #11

I think one of the reasons why there are so many small markers and the amount of poor quality markers milk containers ect is that in order to take any crab or lobster either by pot, nets or even diving ,you now need a permit issued FREE by the local fisheries office. in our area you even get 10 plastic tags to go on your pots, thing is that now this has happened a lot of people who perhaps wouldent have bothered see no reason not to have a go at potting and probley get exited watching deadliest catch on tv. also there are a lot of fold up pots getting sold on web sites now which means that even the smallest boat can drop a few off the ones that work like a pop up tent.
Old 18 June 2008, 14:40   #12
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
in order to take any crab or lobster either by pot, nets or even diving ,you now need a permit
I may be out of touch but I think there is an exemption to boats using less than five pots, and catching less no more than 1 lobster and 5 crab on any one day...

Actually tighter regs - SHOULD result in better marking of pots - as each pot is traceable to its owner.
Old 18 June 2008, 14:52   #13

Quote:
I may be out of touch but I think there is an exemption to boats using less than five pots, and catching less no more than 1 lobster and 5 crab on any one day...

Actually tighter regs - SHOULD result in better marking of pots - as each pot is traceable to its owner.
It may be the case in your area perhaps but on the north east coast of england you need a permit even for one ,even if you catch a crab on the beach by hand,there used to be an exemption like you said for us but not now , regards martin
Old 18 June 2008, 15:06   #14

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
AFAIK you can take as much as you like here as long as it is not for commercial use, ie you don't sell it on.
Old 18 June 2008, 16:25   #15
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
It may be the case in your area perhaps but on the north east coast of england you need a permit even for one ,even if you catch a crab on the beach by hand,there used to be an exemption like you said for us but not now , regards martin
Martin - are these byelaws out of date now then:

http://www.nsfc.co.uk/byelaws.html

(Section 13, para 4(a)ii and (b))
Old 18 June 2008, 17:18   #16

Quote:
Martin - are these byelaws out of date now then:

http://www.nsfc.co.uk/byelaws.html

(Section 13, para 4(a)ii and (b))
They came into effect 1st june last year n/e area eastcoast from tyne down to donna nook lincs over 200miles of coast line ,i just had mine sent to me last month ,dont need it for pots its just we like to go to a reef at low water and rake a few out by hand.though they sent me the tags anyhow,there are 2 types comercial and hobby,i just had a look at our local web site northeastern sea fisheries committe or [url]www.neseafish.gov.uk/
Old 18 June 2008, 18:48   #17

Town: Anchorage
Make: Avon SR4
Engine: Yamaha 40
I was always wondering about shrimp pots here in Alaska, people seem to place them right in the way of boats sometimes and I almost hit several buoys that are faded and really blend in (or sometimes can't see them because of the wave action). Most pots seem to use leaded line and nice big inflatable orange buoys, but you always get a couple that aren't, and I've heard that some people use floating lines sometimes. If i hit one of those in the fog/bad weather I'm chopping it...
Old 18 June 2008, 20:33   #18

Town: Torrance
Length: no boat
The regulations differ around the coast dependant on what the local Sea Fisheries Comittees' byelaws are.

Some will only issue permits to registered fishing boats, others issue leisure permits too. In addition there are of course the EU and local minimum size limits to consider too. You are bound by the same laws as the commerical fishermen and can legally be boarded under warrant by fisheries officers as well as having your vehicle etc inspected. Their powers related to sea fishing are wide ranging.

Most of the SFDC have websites with their byelaws on - best to check as officers vary in their leniency.... and fines in court can be surprising high for a seemingly small offence.

SDG.

ex fishery officer
Old 18 June 2008, 20:36   #19

A few years ago my mates open wooden boat ,ran over a floating pot rope ,rope caught around the prop and with the forward momentum ,boat weight around 3tons ,pulls out the prop and shaft and bearing leaving a 4 inch hole in the boat if it wasent for the fact that he stuffed his shirt in the hole he would have drowned fortunatly he and boat were saved , but it was a close thing , eventually after a bit of a local inquest by the rest of our guys at the club the culprit was found the cheeky b.......,d said he was keeping the prop and shaft for compo for damaging his fishing gear, but with a bit of not so gental persuasion he gave it back .
Old 18 June 2008, 20:46   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGANDER View Post
The regulations differ around the coast dependant on what the local Sea Fisheries Comittees' byelaws are.

Some will only issue permits to registered fishing boats, others issue leisure permits too. In addition there are of course the EU and local minimum size limits to consider too. You are bound by the same laws as the commerical fishermen and can legally be boarded under warrant by fisheries officers as well as having your vehicle etc inspected. Their powers related to sea fishing are wide ranging.

Most of the SFDC have websites with their byelaws on - best to check as officers vary in their leniency.... and fines in court can be surprising high for a seemingly small offence.

SDG.

ex fishery officer
i was speaking to your cox this morning on the phone regards martin